1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I am - not - a lag-player

Discussion in 'PlayStation Network' started by Ellis, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    I don't live in Japan dude, lol

Tokyo = literally hundreds of players
    London = 4, maybe 5 active guys right now? 3 of them I play online fine.
    We're both in the same boat buddy. I used to enjoy playing you on Live, but not on PSN, it's just a mess :(

2. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Playing online is just a matter of preference. I don't care for the arcades, or how many people play there.

PaulMartinKPG likes this.
  3. Sozos

Sozos Pai Sucksan Content Manager Pai

PSN:
    vfsozos87
    XBL:
    vfsozos87
    Paichun@ Its not that i meant. First of all....its not good to speak about offline since that you either dont play offline and secondly...Like you where prefer playing online same thing goes to other ppl as well. Anyways... Dont misunderstand me. im always speak friendly!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    Pai~Chun and Ellis like this.
  4. Ellis

Ellis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ellis_Cake
    To be honest Pai~Chun, the moment i commented on your casual idea of how wireless works,
    you did an "360" turn (literally) and every post after that is evading the actual argument we had, or attempts to bring in stabs to my personality or how i play,
    or some attempt at comparing your "FiOS" or your "xbox" to what I or other people are using. It is tireing.

I will take all the personal name-calling you have made as currency, and buy myself one single remark back at you - i tend to try avoiding this, but you are making it very hard for me being the positive and good-natured person i usually want to be:

Even in sweden we had reading comprehension classes in English ; ),
    you should be more then well equipped to atleast give reading my and others peoples posts a try.

It really just looks like you are not reading my posts, it is as simple as that.

5. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    People should be allowed to play where they want. If something is happening that is (in your opinion) due to lag then either dont play or find a way around it. Either way, dont be a brat about it.

We all know wireless sucks, cross continent (lol) matches suck, room matches suck and online is worse than offline. Either stfu and find a way to win or just dont play those kind of matches anymore (but still stfu about lag). Some guys can have fun even in those kind of conditions and good for them. Maybe they arent at the level where they even notice the connection issues. So what.

Acting like you're some kind of offline messiah and everyone else is a lagwarrior is just stupid. Online or not, the better player will usually win.

IvorB, daRockReaper, MarlyJay and 7 others like this.
  6. Darksoul173

Darksoul173 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darksoul173
    actually modelah reason is even more legit since he has to pay for each game in the arcade
    (though it's beyond why he plays againar guys from europe and not against guys in his own country online)

7. Junsuina Chikara

Junsuina Chikara Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Jun_Chikara
    XBL:
    LeprekaunTM

PReP, don't take anything to heart. Any comments other players make or whatever, just plain ignore it, regardless of they're JosephAkira himself or some idiot like Godoku, just play VF because you like VF. I can openly admit that my connection is bad but the truth is, if people knew my situation and how I'm in a rural area where I can't actually get a regular DSL connection and I can only play off a 3G Dongle, they would be a bit more understanding. I can accept that reactions cannot come into play when I play online but I base my game around prediction and reading my opponent (e.g.: Opponent does elbow and often throws? I respond with CH SDE or Youhou). It's not high-level VF but it's still enjoyable since there are still mind games.

But yeah, don't pay attention to what people say online unless it's in regard to actual flaws in your play style (e.g.: patterns, too defensive, too offensive etc.). Things like that are worth taking into account but otherwise if people call you a "lag" player or call you names, to put it bluntly, f*ck'em. At the end of the day, the same way you have a$$holes in real life, there are a$$holes online too ;)

IvorB and Ellis like this.
  8. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    This. Though i will say, winning isn't everything. Sometimes, working towards an eventual win against someone stronger or helping someone else get stronger is just as fun.

And also, most importantly, Lag is ASYMMETRIC. A good connection for you doesn't mean the same for the other person playing. It's a matter of opinion too. People should talk to each other. If the connection is no good between you, maybe try another day. If it's never to your liking it's probably better to just not bother rather than playing, hating it, then moaning about it.

PoisonKid13, Ellis and Sozos like this.
  9. PoisonKid13

PoisonKid13 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    AngerTheMasses
    This conversation is sooo far gone... So, what some of you are saying that Rep had it coming by wanting to play US players? Wow... just wow...

Ellis likes this.
  10. IvorB

IvorB Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ivor_Biguns
    Yeah there seems to be some bitterness here for some reason. Not cool. PRep, as others have said, don't take this stuff to heart. If people have a problem with a connection with you they should just decline the match up and respect that these things happen. 'Net infrastructure is far from perfect. You'll always have plenty of people (myself included) willing to play you and accept the outcome without name-calling.

Ellis and PoisonKid13 like this.
  11. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    Just on a side note to main topic here - there are few important things that needs to be highlited:
    THIS
    And THIS.
    This are the most important things to remember when playing online.

I remember that when I play @Manjimaru for the 1st time (on my old internet), the connection feel perfect for me. Yet he refused to fight me anymore because it feels shitty for him. TBH if I will play him on my old connection today, it will probably feel bad for me as well.
    I also remember my first match with @Krye . Was perfect smooth for me (on my new internet). After match he PMed me he was not able to even move. IN one of mi 1st games with @Bilal it was completely opposite - I was unable to move while he was spitting out one JF after another with his Akira. Actually that was when I learned that lag may differ significantly for both players.

The 1st thing (personal feeling) depends on specific player (and from my experience, also on their offline-gaming frequency and on how advanced techniques they tend to use) and is constant; while the 2nd may differ game by game or day by day (especially on PSN), depending on multiple things.

Modelah and Ellis like this.
  12. Modelah

Modelah Well-Known Member VFDC Translator Content Manager Taka

PSN:
    Modelah
    Good post Unicorn. Many times I've felt that the connection is good only to be told otherwise from my opponent, so now I ask people how the connection is, especially if I want to do a set of matches. Communication is key.

Sozos and Ellis like this.
  13. D0llo13

D0llo13 Well-Known Member

Forever the bad guy. Just love all these people.If im the the most evil person on psn.How come most of the people talking .show up invited or not to my lobby play ,not say one word then leave then rant about it here.I don't care if you get on a mic and shout at me like i owe you money.if there is a problem either say something or create your own lobby.After PRep left yesterday he sent me a Message after we broke bread and he came back into the same lobby he hated so much.I can't control what another player says to you it is not like tekken were i have a kick button.I host rooms almost every night. I like the variety of players that show up.Good or Bad I love everyone who has the guts to play the hardest fighting game there is period.I don't care about wins or losses i care about the fight.I just want the best and fair quality of matches for any and everyone who joins my room.People who me no that i don't care if you beat me into the ground.Just as long as there are no D.C'S AND No freeze frames during matches.And i find that the people most guilty of these offense's are the 1st to call me the evil one.PRep man i think your a great player and your fight style is your own.And would love to have back in my room.

14. Ellis

Ellis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ellis_Cake
    Hey there dollo. I have told others, though not you yet which is my bad, that i actually found you to be a good person overall.
    What let my mood down that night was just because of all the other things piled up on eachoter - and the feeling that you did not like how our fights went, and then other chiming in when their was just one comment about not being able to move.

I think you get out of hand in the heat of battle, or when things do not work out as you've hoped - and i understand that. I do not care for casual comments when they are unfound.

So, as a person i respect you - i just think the fights are not working out in the rooms.
    But a bit of that is attributed to KyleVF,
    i won't of course go the route of pointing fingers myself - but his connection feels very wonky to me, and when he has random disconnects three times in a row after loosing the first round, and another one just when i got a third winning round against his Vanessa - then things just inflate and get's sour for everyone.

Though most of the other people where a good sport and there was just a few rotten apples in the bunch at the time, to be fair.

It felt like i was getting bad comments for his sake aswell, and it was all to much.
    And it sounded on the last guy that he was into some disrespect talk with you at the side, from all his
    "yeah i see what you mean dollo, i cannot move, yeah he just keeps away all the time - i won't fight him if he doesn't come close and he just evades/dashes away all the time"

Just because i block, keep distance, and waits for a good opportunity to strike or fish out throw escapes when he uses the same throw-direction repeatedly.

Respect to you as a person, Just dislike on the general tone in fights, and all my dislike for the "lag player" situation is not yours alone to carry, alright?

Peace, however you take this.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  15. D0llo13

D0llo13 Well-Known Member

Ya know i have been playing VF5FS Since first day and i have seen many players in many lobbys.I would like to say that were all VF Family Good or Bad. But Sometimes there is too much win lose or die things going on.Kyle is not the only one i have played with a weird connection.I have even played some of my Best friends online and watched as their Egos and pride get to them.But still at the End of the day Were all just a bunch of Nerds playing a video game.As usual i will be on tonight again keeping the Faith with or without Some people but i hope you drop by and say hi my Friend.

IvorB, Ellis and ToyDingo like this.
  16. IcKY99

IcKY99 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IcKY99
    XBL:
    IcKYIcKY
    I'm just reading this thread SMH. Prep you are definitely not a lag abuser. People need understand connections to other CONTINENTS will have latency

Dark Nova Void, PoisonKid13 and Ellis like this.
  17. blossy1000

blossy1000 Well-Known Member

I really like this quote. It should be the slogan for VFDC...

Tocuh, Ellis, Pai~Chun and 1 other person like this.
  18. perabove

perabove Member

If you're going to play a game and care in any way about the result the onus is on you to make your connection the best it can be. Wifi will always be inferior to wired - and as a separate point wifi will always be imperfect in its own right. Comparing the connections against each other with nothing other than the lowest levels of signals passing across it, wired will be steady and uninterrupted, and wifi will be stuttered even if it's only in a slight way it will still be bursts of information instead of a steady stream of information. It's one more link in the chain that can fail.

If you're playing on 3g then I think that is just rude - it's inconsiderate of any opponent you might meet, and while it might be the only available internet connection it should never be used for a game that hinges on reading and reacting.

One thing that I would love to see introduced to console gaming across the board is using some of HDTV's real estate to show a perpetual ping monitor - with numbers, not some drawing of a bar. VF is far from the worst. Battlefield 3 on consoles is actually funny how little it cares - every server in the list is given a 5/5 symbol beside it, which is just part of the hardcoded UI, there aren't any symbols for a less than perfect connection. But it's crappy that the only fighting game I remember seeing ping reported as a number in is Skull Girls - and that was only before a challenge was accepted. Even on P2P connections, this would be trivial to implement, and could be put in as a system library so it would be even less demanding for games to call it and pass parameters to it.

Lag is to blame for so many factors that lead to horrible play styles that compounds how frustrating it is.

I'm imagining that lag can't be avoided - it makes sense that the two people in a game need to sync up, so the host is delayed enough so the challenger can input at the same time, you need some lag for fuzzy networking. If it's consistent it's manageable up to a point, if it varies wildly it isn't. If you host a game you may be in a situation where in effect your moves will come out a number of frames later than your inputs actually should - but you can play and win even though you're at -5 for the whole game. You can't rely on anything when you might be at -5, maybe -10, sometimes -15 - depending on which way the wind blows half the world away that delays a HSDPA connection to phone mast, or better just drops the packets and tries again. It ruins the notion of the buffer system - buttons you input as the host come back to haunt you because the buffer didn't clear because the game hasn't recognised your inputs yet - all you may want is to block and await your sliver of advantage, instead you watch yourself abare because of all the extra fuzzy networking it has to do to counteract the packetloss. My favourite is when you watch yourself getting thrown, yet you know you were teching correct - if only you were thrown 15 frames later maybe it would have made a difference.

Lag is not going to go away, there isn't a technology that is going to get around it unless we can physically teleport into closer proximity with each other. Playing across 7 time zones is going to be noticeably different. But for me lag players aren't players who have lag, they are players who rely on lag because it's a different game in those circumstances and that's all some players have known. All those bad habits that come from screwy frame data - we've all seen it. So your opponent has put their 2p into block and is going to hit buttons, time to seize the momentum... except an elbow at +4 doesn't beat a 17 frame move because it doesn't come out of the buffer, it comes out sometime in the unguaranteed string you're eating. It becomes impossible to punish failed evades because delayed inputs aren't an option, they'll be delayed too much, throws aren't effectively 10 frames anymore, and full/half circulars will hit block or CDCed for huge advantage. It's game breaking.

This is the definition of lag tactics for me. Base decisions on the previous round instead of what's actually happening currently because you've got to mash your guesses 15 to 20 frames ahead of time or they won't come out let alone connect. It's not playing VF, it's not reading and reacting, it's a race to the bottom where the worst connection has the most advantage and it ruins the game. The player may not be spamming what they want, but they may as well be, it's indistinguishable from it.

19. Ellis

Ellis Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ellis_Cake
    I am in large part agreeing to this technically reasonable view on how networks and latency works,
    the sole little thing i am not on the same page is that reading your opponent equals to lag tactics - i read opponents playing on the other controller the few times too (counted on my fingers unofrtunately) i have had a friend over to play VF5FS with me.
    Reading to me, means noticing habits of the opponents, anything from if the uses the same throw, or pattern for throws when making the three-choice-decision to what throw to lazy-throw-escape, getting the direction right, or if the opponent always goes 2p after a certain move or when having blocked - or if the opponent tries the same launcher, get's block and to a fault most often chooses to evade.

This is doing reads and predictions to me.

In a fight with _severe_ amounts of lag happening it does not matter if you make a good read - so i would just have reading the opponent as a very healthy strategy to do, alongside with knowing how many frames of advantage or disadvantage the moves leaves your opponent with.

Perhaps you had another definition of the word reads in your example though :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  20. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

I'm not a lag player.

Dark Nova Void likes this.