1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I Don't Think I LIke High Level Virtua Fighter

Discussion in 'General' started by Shensun, Jul 17, 2021.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    :love: @SDS_Overfiend1 I didn't know you cared :love:

C'mon man, let's be real, you can't really, not truly, not really imagine VFDC with out masterpo's Bull$#it ....

Somebody has to speak up and speak out for the casual-noob-wannbe-highlevel-VF-player-one-day-but-never-will-be and that somebody is me:ROTFL: Hell, losers need a voice too:holla: And I'll put my Dead Duck Broken Wing Kung Fu up against any top player any where, any time. Of course I'll lose, but that's what I do....;) Over the years I've lost (literally millions of rounds) and nobody on this site can top that:LOL:

If VF5US gets some significant single player and an off button for the Hit Effects I'm all good:)

@SDS_Overfiend1 Sry mate, no voice to text. Its possibly all the years of piano and synth playing, and the many many lines of C++ and Prolog code that I've typed over the years that gives me extra nimble fingers:p

I do know one thing though, the VFDC community ROCKS!

2. Bizogi

Bizogi New Member

Virtua fighter has always had high damage and quick finishes to the rounds. You could effectively lose with 2 wrong guesses.
    Heck, VF2 only had 30 second's and most rounds finished within 10. Vf4 was the only entry where rounds would last longer.
    There's no comparison to tekken. High level tekken is a yawn compared to Japanese pro player VF match.

3. Trevor

Trevor New Member

The simple fact that VF5 has no lows that lead to high damage makes it entirely different from Tekken. In VF5, if you take high damage, it's because your opponent outsmarted you. In Tekken 7, it's because you are dealing with the mid/low coin toss. With that said, the best fighting games are unforgivingly brutal at high levels, but never due to luck. I always compare VF5 to Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, they are both my favorite fighting games in 3D and 2D, and they share many similarities. One mistake can mean death in both, but you always feel in control, it's never a stupid blender 50/50 in the neutral. There are many ways to avoid the high damage combos. Both SSF2T and VF5 are the two fighting games that have no high damage low starting combos.

4. Re: OP: many VF players are concentrated META players. L2P.

5. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

This is sadly true. How much better would the game be if it just had the VF3 cast and got rid of LTE, and eliminated or toned way down: the esoteric strings, + on block moves, wacky property moves, and stances?

So much of the game is unknowable...on top of the knowable things that suck (e.g. Akira's uber-buffness)! To deal with the unknowable--unless you want to dedicate your life to studying the cast--you yourself have to deploy spammy tactics/strategies. Or deploy anti-(char) techniques to deal with wacky property moves that basically make you abandon the normal back and forth of the game (e.g. vs people who spam, say, Vanessa's magic elbow at disadvantage).

The worst part is that they have painted themselves into a corner. The trend is always "New Characters!" and "New Gameplay!" This might work for some franchises/genres, but for Virtua Fighter it is a recipe for guaranteeing that every game will be worse than the last.

I have so much writing to do that it is very dumb for me to be typing this, haha...:cry:

6. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

[8_]

This is the reason why It pays to just get Gud folks. So you don't sound like these guys above complaining about the simple stuff that can be countered against. Upset because the game ain't what it was 20 something years ago.

7. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

I ate steak and now they are serving white castles. Did I miss something here?

8. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Yeah… Be grateful Somebody fed your ass

SSShinji and leftylizard like this.
  9. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

Just to clarify vf4evo/ft is steak and fs is white castles. Class dismissed.

10. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and even more than that, showing a sincere interest in Virtua Fighter in general along with what your hopes and expectations were. It is very healthy for the discussion and I really appreciate it!

I obviously love this game very much, but I will take this opportunity to continue the dialogue that you have inspired here!

1) REGARDING DAMAGE - I would say that Final Showdown has a high damage level for a modern-VF game. The damage level is actually comparable to old-school VF, but the game is clearly a Modern VF game. This is one of the big reasons that in offline VF and in room matches a lot of people desire long sets in this game. I would say that from VF4 - VF5 (vanilla), the damage level of Virtua Fighter was very character based and overall lower. For Jeffry and Wolf, they had a high amount of damage and their power level was comparable to Final Showdown. For much of the rest of the cast it scaled down along with the weight and so a lot of lightweight and midweight battles would have a lot of time to read your opponent within a round and the rounds were more strategic. This might be the basis for your impression of VF, and Ultimate Showdown (which is Final Showdown) probably betrays that. This game still rewards reading, it really does, but with this power level the game is more tactical within the rounds because you only need like 2.5-4 good decisions to win a round and you can certainly cleverly take a round. I love Final Showdown for what it is, but I will admit that on my list for VF6 is a return to VF4 Evolution/Final Tuned levels of damage. I do still believe we have to work hard for our damage in this game, though maybe a little less hard because I think from VF4 - VF5 (vanilla), a whole lot of combos required a good amount of stance checking compared to my experience with Final Showdown.

2) REGARDING 50/50 - I prefer to call it Forced 2-Choice (only because it's super rare for your opponent to be truly 50/50, they almost always have a preference and things that make them pivot). I think this is really core in modern-VF and kind of defines aspects of Modern-VF. However, other elements do still exist. With proper utilization of spacing and push attacks (including push attacks by your opponent), you can get into an attack and movement heavy mini-game where your objectives are more about punishing and baiting your opponent--the VF element I love here is the tradeoff on long range slow attacks (they can be evade punished) and when a player is good at transitioning between this game and setting up to force 2-choice. There is also the Side Turn game which can force a variety of other guesses and punish. And of course there's the ring out and wall dynamics. I think all of these games makes modern VF very interesting because of the decisions the players can make and the answers the players use to handle multiple threats. I think that while modern VF is built strongly on the forced 2-choice, the game offers a lot to play with. However... some of that stuff is the footsies and fighting for advantage. At least a struggle existed before the 50/50 or the big damage. I think it would be less interesting without those things.

3) Netcode... Some of the frustration points are inevitable in games that are fiercely competitive and you get to a high enough level in your region. Matchmaking thrives on critical mass but it struggles without the critical mass and some solutions also require a critical mass to make the experience better. Those complicated elements aside, the netcode also gets worse the further away critical mass is as the limits to make a match are really there unless they match you with people far away or with bots. I've also heard that as awesome as some of the strong EU players are, some can be a little rough too... That said, I hope you can find groups of people you have good connections to and love to play VF. For me, I am fortunate to be able to find an opponent when I happen to be available, even though I play at graveyard hours--and so that has made my VF online experience work out. I also happen to be fortunate that I can play playable matches with Japan, Mexico, East Coast USA, and I have played an Italian and while it was laggy at first I did enjoy the matches and later it got better and was much more playable after awhile. I hope you can find people to play room matches with, I really do because I think this game is so wonderful when playing with the people that match your objectives and enjoyment!

4) BREAKS ARE GOOD! From your post I really feel you do have things you really like about VF, but you really had to express the things that are frustrating you right now. But something tells me you sincerely like the game and you did allude to loving it on the casual level. Well, I hope that if you took a break you feel refreshed but also that you will find the right people to play with too ^_^

5) YOU SEEM TO WANT TO PLAY MORE VF! So... given your concerns... If you happen to have a PS3 or 360 or Xbox One, I encourage you to try out Virtua Fighter 5 and play its Quest Mode! It's so fun. It is a very different game (all of the VF5 games are their own games, to the core!). I still love VF5 even though it is my least favorite VF, but it is still a great game and it has a great single player experience! You can also play it on PC with the right emulator! Even better, if you have access to a PS2 or you want to try playing on an emulator on PC, Virtua FIghter 4 Evolution is AMAZING! That game also has a Quest Mode that will consume your time and it has the best tutorial and an excellent training mode--and I have a feeling from what you've said you will love this game. Even if you are playing its Quest Mode which will give you over a hundred hours of enjoyment! (The VF5 Quest Mode will also give you over 100 hours of enjoyment)!

Cheers!

Munk, VFnumbers and ShinyBrentford like this.
  11. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

I wrote the above a while back and it is all accurate, but the game seems even worse to me now. Basically, I do not want to learn all the strings and random properties of a bloated character roster. I don't want to cock punch and be cock punched constantly because the game makes it such an essential move in so many circumstances. I do not want to be constantly evade cancelling and fuzzy guarding, nor do I want to try and study and learn tactics for people who actually do learn, practice, and employ the annoying defensive techniques that they put in this game.

SEGA has painted itself into a corner with this game and I think it's part of why they have not made VF6. What is needed is a major reboot. Just call it Virtua Fighter and maybe just make it with the original cast but with a good fighting engine based largely on VF4 Evo/FT mechanics. But they won't likely do it. So it goes, but I think I am done with this version.

12. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Wait what? 2p has always been a essential part of this game... I don't do any of those defensive tactics OK I'd just use my mental thingy... Oh & about the strings & random properties, your character isn't even heavy on those anyways so there isn't much to learn... The neutral/basics game is overall still the same except for the biggest change in the throw mechanics.

I'm really surprised to hear this from a person of your intelligence that you don't see the overall/whole picture of the game & realize it's a more detail & yet still well balance game with yet the meh rehash combos...

The tech is no harder just different like any other version except in FS/ES it's a bit more of a mental over tech game then previous versions in my opinion...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
    shad and Chanchai like this.
  13. mohamed_amervf5

mohamed_amervf5 Active Member

from a pro player iam telling you man lv29 is very weak and even lv42 stormlord is not a very strong player it starts with lv43 and up , if you have very fast hands , smart , play this game to over 10000 matches and knows the game well frames, mc , all of that you might reach any level you want , but lv29 is very beginner to be honest

14. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    pro player maybe,.... but not very knowledgeable about the true essence of Virtua Fighter.

First there are some extraordinarily strong players who don't play rank at all and never have. These players may be better than anyone who has ever played ranked.

Second there are many hustlers out there who use rank as a mind game to psyche out those players that take rank seriously:cool:

Third unless you've played every lv29 player that has ever been, and every lv43 player that has ever been you can really only draw conclusions about the lv29, lv43 players that you have played. And unless you played them all first to 10 matches you really can't even draw any firm conclusions about those. players

Fourth there are many players that manipulate their rank (through cheating and other methods) to reflect a higher level than than their skills support and other exceptionally strong players who stopped playing rank mode after achieving a rank below lv29

Fifth some of the strongest players that have ever played Virtua Fighter have never played online at all, not in rank, not in room mode, not in player match. There are some VF purists that simply refuse to subjugate themselves to any lag at all. Who knows what an offline rank mode would even look like if these players were in the room.

pro player or not, it does not matter how good you are or how good you think you are, there is always a player out there that is better than you, in fact exponentially better than you.;)

High level play is a relative concept. It depends on the region. It depends on the gaming culture of a given subgroup. It depends on the time period. 90's high level play, is different from high level play in 2005. High level play in 2005 is different than high level play in 2022. High level play in Virtua Fighter is version dependent. HIgh level play in VF3tb is different than VF4 and that is different than VF4EVO which is different than VF5 etc.

Rank Mode in VF5US is but one mode of one version of the game in one point and time. A true pro player would know that you can't draw any conclusions about true strong play from a single snap shot of a game in a single mode of that gameo_O

The true VF masters are scattered throughout the planet and typically never even play in common competitions online or offline. pro players are not necessarily strong players and there are many strong players who would never even consider becoming pro players.

In Virtua Fighter there are three kinds of players: students, disciples and masters. Development of true VF skill can be achieved only when the body and the mind has achieved harmony with the VF martial arts. To accomplish this, the masters have taught us to imitate nature's creatures…. From the crane we learn grace and self-control. The snake teaches us suppleness and rhythmic endurance. The praying mantis teaches us speed and patience. And from the tiger we learn tenacity and power. And from the dragon we learn to ride the wind. All creatures, the low and the high, are one with nature. If we have the wisdom to learn, all may teach us their virtues.

On the journey to true Virtua Fighter mastery we learn that we do not have to stop force: it is easier to redirect it. We learn more ways to preserve rather than destroy. We learn to avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill. We learn that all life is precious nor can any be replaced. A VF match is a metaphor for much more than what is immediately apparent.

True Virtua Fighter mastery has absolutely nothing to do with ranks or online rank mode. A True VF master does not seek victory in contention, but rather seeks not to contend. We are taught that where there is no contention, there is neither defeat nor victory. The supple willow does not contend against the storm, yet it survives.
    Weakness prevails over strength. Gentleness conquers. Become the calm and restful breeze that tames the violent sea.

Strong players are not strong because of rank levels, frame knowledge, fast hands, or carrying combos, Those who truly master Virtua Fijghter. walk without fear of rhino or tiger. They will not be wounded in battle the rhino can find no place to thrust his horn, the tiger no place to use his claws, and weapons no place to pierce..

True strength in Virtua Fighter seeks its own level. It will not fight the rock, it flows around it. (y)

15. Blessy

Blessy Moderator / -10 is just Nitaku Staff Member Content Manager Goh Bronze Supporter Content Manager Aoi Tournament Manager

While I disagree with a tonne of this, you're right in that online rank means very little.

Plenty of the best players (GT for example) don't bother with ranked. Out of the strongest players in EU only like 2 of them even play ranked mode.

Considering there are very few 'pro players' for VF I'm surprised I hadn't heard of @mohamed_amervf5 before now.

VanguardBronze likes this.
  16. mohamed_amervf5

i will not read all of this i play vf is better than read all of this shit lol

ShinyBrentford likes this.
  17. mohamed_amervf5

you will never hear about this name because it is not the name i play with , if you know ivinlinivic , farfallista , kothiyasanea , banok , those are top players and they play ranked & iam with them

18. mohamed_amervf5

give me your name at the game and i will play with you and let's see , iam waiting

masterpo likes this.
  19. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Find and defeat my disciples Lazy Tiger and Stone Monkey, then make your way through the monks of Iron Village. Beyond Iron Village you will have to face the three shadows of water palm fist. If you defeat the three shadows, you will find me just beyond the mists of blue dragon. If you make it past the mists of blue dragon there I will show you why I am called Master Po the Last Monk.:cool:

20. mohamed_amervf5

i just see you escaping , donot get
    embarrassed and admit that you are noob .

masterpo likes this.