1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I fell. What's the best way to get up?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Cozby, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Due to the fact I don't see anyone using this AT ALL I decided I would post this.

Most players wont use rising kicks unless it's necessary; instead they utilize tech rolls and such. But IMO the late rising kick is THE GREATEST!! I've been getting tons of counter hits on better players using it. What do you all use?

2. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

I gotta mix it up, cause sometimes when I do late rising kicks I get thrown or hit. And if I tech roll sometimes that's even worse. When my character is laying there I try to think real quick about what I don't want to get hit with the most, and then try to mix it up between giving that to them, and not.

3. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    I would rather not use it most of the time unless I will try to time it once in a while or delay it. I personally don't like recovery kicks (getting hit by them or doing them myself) and look for good way to hit people out of them. The tech roll traps that good people do make me think twice about doing them to most people and I would rather roll (backwards) away from attackers and get up away from the enemy so many reactionary attacks player may have fails because they are too far away to connect with them, if they do have moves that reach me still I have an advantage because I will be able to see them before they happen.

4. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Late rising kicks also give guaranteed counter attacks when they are blocked in most cases.

5. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    true that is the main reason I avoid using them and if they use OM to get behind me and I do the recovery kick it will leave me wide open for even more damage. Only the more reason why i just roll away instead of rolling to the side where I will be subject to tech roll traps

6. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Personally I just lay there unless I see them start some ground scraping move that can lift me off the ground a thousand times.
    Playing Jeff I figure I can match whatever damage they can do to me on the ground easily but if I stand up prematurely or kick it's going to give them added damage that I didn't have to risk.

Aka I'm a pussy. Played way to many players with good reaction that rock me simply because of a TR or rising kick.

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I guess the really important thin is NOT throwing those kicks randomly and hitting air, thus offering a sure occasion of attack to your opponent while you are in the recovery frames of your move.

8. Truesonic2k

Truesonic2k Well-Known Member

I mix it up. I hardly try rising kicks because I feel like I can easily be blocked and then punished... as a Jeff player I don't like being punished.

9. Cozby

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    You know with the late rising kick you'll re-face your opponent

10. Jaytech

Jaytech Well-Known Member

rising kicks get countered/punished way too often. quick standup or quick sideroll for me.

11. Auvii

Auvii Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Auvii
    Nobody is mentioning the fact that an exact recovery on a tech roll removes damage from hitting the ground. That to me is the biggest reason for rolling. I think a tech roll without exact recovery still decreases some damage, but that I am not 100% on, maybe someone knows. Mixing it up is still a must being you cannot always roll up. But I think mentioning the removal of fall damage is important for this topic.

12. DammyG

DammyG Well-Known Member

I always roll to the side as anything else leaves you open to down attacks.

13. seven5suited

seven5suited Well-Known Member

Certain moves/throws cause more damage if you do not instantly pop up. (i.e. Pai's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, Wolf's Giant Swing)

When people expect your exact recovery, they can hurt you. Also noobs who continue their strings after knocking you down will get the pleasant surprise of knocking you down twice.

I think your actions in this situation should be used to condition your opponent to expect something. For example, stay down once if you are ahead on the life bar, and invite the pounce. Next time pop up and punish his missed pounce with your strongest throw or combo. Net gain in life bar advantage: your huge throw/combo minus their puny pounce.

Near the edge of the ring I usually stay down. Popping up can get me thrown or launched right out, versus eating a pounce. Plus it slows the momentum giving me a chance to regroup and decide how to proceed from this ring position.

Finally, many opponents don't REALLY know how to punish a blocked rising kick. Many times I rise with a high kick that gets blocked, and have enough time to shove in a quick /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif because my opponent thinks they get a guaranteed throw or big move, or he takes a few frames just to react.

14. Cozby

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Hey if you exact recover Jeffry's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif does it still do zero damage?

15. Auvii

Auvii Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Auvii
    I am not sure which throw that is exactly, but Jeffrey and Wolf have similar throws where they lift the opponent over their heads then toss them to the ground. With Jeffrey you can tech roll and if its exact you take zero damage. Wolf's, however, you will always take damage. Hopefully I am answering your question.

16. Cozby

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    I know its the grab where he lifts you over his head but lol i don't even know if the command is the same as it was

17. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

It's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and you can still TR/QR from it. The difference is that Jeffry can now change the direction he throws you to.

18. seven5suited

seven5suited Well-Known Member

Yes.

19. Cozby

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Can you exact TR Wolf's throw where he lifts you over his head and throws you in a spinning motion? I've never been able to TR this one.

20. shadowmaster

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    Another added bonus that comes from staying down when backed up against a wall or end of the stage is that the enemy can't get behind you using 2 OM's or if they can leap over you while you are down like pai does with her /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and other moves like it. If they do this they will ring themselves out so you won't have to worry about getting hit from behind if you do a recovery kick. I still wouldn't depend on any one thing and just keep the enemy guessing hitting them with a low sweep one time, mid sweep the next, and not even getting up right away every so often leaving an enemy unsure as to how to respond your recovery.

If you deal with a character that can reverse it (Aoi) or sabaki it (Goh) that recovery kick it is even more crucial that you mix it up since they can attack the kick directly without having to block it or use the old trick of overpowering the kick taught in VF4 evolution (it is very hard to do this consistently)