1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I have gained The Emperor ranking with Lau chan!!!

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by NeoTokyo, Mar 25, 2002.

1. NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo Active Member

After 630 matches won and 20 lost I have gained the Empire ranking with Lau Chan! yes :)
    so what does this all mean? that the PS2 CPU opponent is easy to fool. and that guys like Chibata, Shinz still kick my ass :)

but honestly I am a little bit dissapointed in the CPU of Virtua Fighter 4. once you know the trick to defeat your opponents. it becomes very easy. and it had nothing to do how good I am, because I am not. after I raised from 10th dan to Little Monarch I didn't lose any match anymore.

Oh well I will train now very hard for 2 player mode, because I have so much to learn. but thanks to the movies at Daioh. I learn a lot from those Lau Chan players :)

and thanks to this great website ofcourse. keep up the good work!

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Okay I will just state that we dont care what your kumite rank is. So please everyone else dont post garbage like this to the boards.

3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Nah, doesn't mean anything --- getting anything w/ Lau isn't really saying a whole lot. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

4. NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo Active Member

I only said it, because I am happy I made it. is that so bad?
    besides that I see Lau as a charachter that is easy to learn but difficult to master. everybody forgets that the movement of Lau is very predictable. so it is easy to know what he is doing instead of Lei Fei that useses movement that you don't know of what is coming next. and Lei Fei is just as easy to learn and still does heavy damage!

5. scabble

scabble New Member

Re: I have gained The Emperor ranking with Lau cha

What the hell? The guy posts and says he got Emporer rank, he doesn't front, he doesn't pretend to be some kind of master, he even says how the CPU is easily fooled, and plainly says that he knows 2 player is where it's at.

But his post is called "garbage" and he is told not to post anything else like it. What the hell is that? What ridiculous snobbery. And to think people scratch their heads about why more people don't play VF.

6. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Well this website is for sharing information not personal achievments. Can you imagine the mess it will cause when everytime a newbie goes up in rank they post and tell us about it.

7. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

and Lei Fei is just as easy to learn and still does heavy damage!

Umm. I am kinda disagree with that. It took me along time to have a total control on his stances and moves. Otherwise it would just be buttons mashing combos.

8. kagadis

kagadis New Member

Why? Is Lau considered a cheat character? I was thinking of picking him up and learning to use him.

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

*coff coff*

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

There are no "cheat" characters in VF. Version C is extremely well balanced, and there are no tiers at the highest level. Some characters, however, are easier to use, and Lau is one of those characters.

11. NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo Active Member

Ealsen

The Reason I said Lei Fei, is because Lei Fei uses cheap attacks that are not easy to block because you can't see them coming very well. because of the different way he moves. also when an opponent is close just press down on punch button and down on kick button and you already got a nice combo that works extremely well. ofcourse Lau has too very well easy combo's to learn like 3 times punch and then kick, but just as I explained everybody see that coming.
    actually I think Lau is very limited on his moves,. even Pai which plays a lot like Lau has a grap move to pick somebody up from the ground. what has Lau got? almost nothing. so that is why I think Lau is handicapt. that is why I have a lot of respect for good Lau players in the arcade. , The Reason why I still play with Lau , is because he suits me the best. I can play with Lei too, but just as I said I find a lot of his movements pretty lame.
    specially the one when you turn you back and you can just kick and kick and kick and when you hit someone he always get dizzy so you have to push your stick left and right very fast.and when you just done that you can lowkick again with Lei to make him dizzy again and then you can finish the stand with a punch kick combo or just change from stand again. not only that, but if you kick or punch you can grab his hand or leg. it is always a winner. also you can try to dodge or to step back fast. but it doesn't matter because the kick tracks you down!
    and all is easy to learn and to master with Lei and his moves do huge damage as well. that is why I never fight with Lei. I consider him pretty lame. I do on the other hand have lots of respect for Akira and Vanessa players. they are not only tough with button pressing, but also they need very good timing.

12. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

The Reason I said Lei Fei, is because Lei Fei uses cheap attacks that are not easy to block because you can't see them coming very well.

If you're fighting against good opponents, they know how to block Lei Fei very well. This is where Lei Fei's dance trick comes into play.

Lau has too very well easy combo's to learn like 3 times punch and then kick, but just as I explained everybody see that coming.

That's why you should mix up p,p,p,d+k and p,p,p,b+k.

even Pai which plays a lot like Lau has a grap move to pick somebody up from the ground.

Am I missing something here ? Pai can't pick up somone up from the ground, unless you meant f+P+K+G low throw which slides to the back of the opponent.

also you can try to dodge or to step back fast. but it doesn't matter because the kick tracks you down!

[TG]K is not homing, therefore it's dodgeable.
    [EV]K is not dodgeable. But I think you can just crouch down to avoid the K.
    [EV]d+K can't be dodged since it's a sweep.

all is easy to learn and to master with Lei

Some characters may be easy to learn but all characters are hard to master with.

13. NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo Active Member

Ealsen,

ofcourse Lau has the ppp + lowkick and the ppp + backflip kick. but just as I said the kicks take to much time. so it is easy to predict and to counter. just as almost any of Lau his moves.
    I can block Lei also pretty well in most situations, but the problem with Lei is, he has so many tools. every time I play with Lei I discover something new that I thought, why do they give that move to Lei too. hasn't he got enough?

and yes with Pai I meant the lowthrow. also Pai has even a different standing position. I still don't know why they didn't give one to Lau. he is to 1 demensional. but just as I said I refuse to play a dirty charachter like Lei Fei.

about the backstand and the highkick situation. you can't kick because you kick gets blocked and counterattacked. if you crouch you get the kick and you become dizzy. after you have tried to get out of the dizzy you get the lowkick and you get dizzy again and so you can contiue this combo as much as you like. and change in the end the combo too. it is in 1 word ridicilous!
    still there is a way to get out of this combo . for example with Lau I discoverd if I press back back fast and do a cartwheel flip I can hit him. the only problem occurs if he sees me do that. he can just press guard button to directly turns his back and go into the guard and when I have done my cartwheel kick he just picks me up. it is so simple. that is why I don't get it. a friend of mine is a very good Lei Fei player. because first I didn't put much thought in his charachter. but after I saw some his lame moves. I begin to study Lei Fei. and to learn him too. and that is why I discovered so many things. that I was thinking why give Lei Fei so many standings so many good positions so many counterattacks. ofcourse Akira has themtoo, but that is much harder to do. if you are good with Lei Fei. you will be the man. that is one thing for sure. just look at Shinz . he plays with Lei Fei too :)

14. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

Well I can tell you I play alot of Leifei. But what most ppl do when I am in Tiger stance (The stance with my back facing opponent ) they dodge my [TG]d+K, [TG]K or [TG]P. It's always best not to attack when Lei-fei is in Tiger stance, just dodge the attack or back off a lil and you'll be fine.

15. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Lei-Fei is predictable.

All of Lei's combos are strugglable. His TG stance is useless if you just simply block or dodge.

I don't use Lau either but I guarantee that at higher levels you'll have more trouble winning with LeiFei than with Lau.

16. NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo Active Member

Ken and Ealsen, thanks for answering the questions, but just as I said here lies the big problem.
    ofcourse I can block the first kick or second kick, even get out of the dizzy shit, but what about my counterattack???
    I can't kick, I can't punch, my only option is to sidestep, which is almost impossible, because Lei just keeps waiting till his opponent attacks. also a lowkick doesn't do good because when Lei kicks I get dizzy. ofcourse I can just press backwards fast and then a cartheeel kick, but it is to much of a risk. I tried to do the sidestep kick with Lau ( b, g+k ) but Lau doesn't execute this move fast enough, all in all very frustrating! but I just refuse to give up with Lau yet and turn to the darkside Lei Fei :)

17. J_Chuang

J_Chuang Well-Known Member

"ofcourse I can block the first kick or second kick, even get out of the dizzy shit, but what about my counterattack???"

eh.. if you block leifei's kicks (i assume it is from the single foot standing stance), you get to move first. If Lei does the K, he remains in the auto-reversal stance so just do KK, f+K+G, f+d+K, P+K, *f+(K)...etc. He will be hit unless he presses block right away. Of course Lei can choose to do KK instead, but that move is not delayable; if you block it you get a free throw. Same thing with K+G, it is throw counterable.

"I can't kick, I can't punch, my only option is to sidestep, which is almost impossible, because Lei just keeps waiting till his opponent attacks. "

why can't you kick or punch? heheh.... i think you should go read the frame status for Lei-fei. Perhaps you will then find out most of his moves aren't that great. Btw, you can always punch Lei out of his single foot stance use P+K, given that you have frame adv.

Lei can be quite confusing at first, but unless your friend is just way better than you, you should be at least even using Lau against him.

"but I just refuse to give up with Lau yet and turn to the darkside Lei Fei :)"

IMO Lau is more like the darkside character heheh.

Seriously, this thread need to be move to the Q&A...

18. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Lei Fei is BY FAR the most predictable fighter in the game. You have to spend a lot of concentration fooling your opponents. Also, he's got like what.... 3 low attacks? Very easy to get reversaled. Also against Jacky, Vanessa, and Aoi, the flying punch (don't know the name) is negated.

Good Lau players are NOT predictable. It's not strange to see a 8-dan, 9-dan, 10-dan Lau in the arcades here. While they're not considered cheats, they don't get the respect a 10-dan Aoi or Shun would get. With Lau, if you slow your combos down a bit, and mix 'em, you can smoke anyone, especially w/ the elbows of doom -- easy to one-pattern someone into the ground. I'd say the least respected player though is Jacky.

And finally, the consensus (at least in Japan) is that the balance of Version C is complete and utter crap. Shun's have all but dropped off the face of the Earth, and while Lau was weakened a bit, you still see him dominating the game centers.

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Interesting, GaijinPunch. In my brief visit to Tokyo there were a TON of Shun players, but that was Version B. How did you obtain the consensus that Shun is too weakened? Which arcades do you frequent in Tokyo? Can you access the VF.net rankings and give us the breakdown on characters used?

20. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Use your range properly.

Lau's "sweet spot" is within elbow and long range. Lei's "sour spot" is exactly the opposite. So in theory Lau has a huge advantage range wise vs Lei.

Lau's got shitload of attacks that are non-sabaki.

I wouldn't throw punches (reversable punches that is) at Lei if he's standing on one leg that's his auto-reversal for punches. Though you can do kick or uf+P to beat that.

Lei can only get a good combo by throw lots and lots of stance faking and dancing. Lau has 5 different no risk float moves that lead to 100pt combos. By no risk I mean he cannot be thrown or stuck afterwards.

Lei's "[IN]d+K" cause a foot stagger for a 80pt combo. Although this low kick is the best low kick in the game its lei's only useful low kick. It is a "stagger" hence the following combo is NOT guaranteed.

Lei's famous 195pt combo is not guaranteed. Its actually 3 combos off 3 mistakes.

Mistake #1 : Eating Lei's Head Crumble
    Mistake #2 : Choosing to TR after Head/Stomach Crumble
    Mistake #3 : Not struggling out of Back Stagger

Lei is an advantage striker. However Lau's moves are even more advantageous in a Lau vs Lei scenario.

Lau has so many moves that narrows the opponents options down to only "d+P". Mix up the elbows/df+K and f,D+K and you're still very safe.

DF+P is by far Lau's best move, totally abusable
    df, df+P is same as above but at long range. Use this for two punches and dash back and repeat all day. Lau's initiative with this move is very effective.

As much as I hate Lau, Lau takes much less skill to use than Lei-Fei.

Lei-Fei has only 2 useful throws and Lau has 3-4. Cancel df+P+G and b+P+G vs Lei.

You're simply not used to Lei's attack patterns. The way his stances flow from his moves. Lei is also extremely Linear.. so you're not dodging enough.