1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I have gained The Emperor ranking with Lau chan!!!

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by NeoTokyo, Mar 25, 2002.

1. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

When I said Shun players have vanished, I meant from Version B to Version C. I've not checked the stats on each machine, although I should. I mean in general -- fewer on the video screens from the tournaments, and I've just recently started using mine again. I know one guy w/ a 5-dan Shun he used to use all the time, which he breaks out for special occasions.

I don't think VF.net gives stats of how many players are used. If they did, I'm sure it's from all three versions as well. That would be kewl if they offered it though.

2. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

I agree. I think Shun is too much weakened in Version C.
    But why is that ppl complaining that Shun is still too strong in version C.

Anyway, Who would have thought the discussion would be so drifted off from the original topic /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

3. NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo Active Member

ganjinpunch,

that elbow of doom doesn't mean anything. just wait till Lau comes close and then do with Lei a lowpunch ( d+p) followed by lowkick ( d+k). repeat this twice and you got already have done incredible damage/ also when you have thrown the elbow of doom,when Lei has been standing he can throw you or give a lowpunch connection. you are only screwed if you are sitting on the ground guarding or doing nothing.
    the sweeps of Lei are indeed easy to counter true to do that. only problem is when will their sweep comes? with Jacky It is always the same pattern. I have learn him out of my head and he doesn't threaten me at all. but with Lei you can just change everything you like. it is not like 1 simple combo to learn out of your head, no with Lei you just change your stand and you can still chose for the lowsweep afterwards and that is the problem. with Lau 3 x punch automaticily means sweep at the end if you're going to try to hit him low.

Ken.

the floatings can all be reversed by Lei . some examples below.

1 st. when Lau floats and do the punch. wait for the punch and just do the move that lei does the double elbow and start standing with his back again his opponent.
    2. cartwheel kick. when the cartwheel kick is done. just grapp Lau.

Lei's "[IN]d+K" cause a foot stagger for a 80pt combo. Although this low kick is the best low kick in the game its lei's only useful low kick. It is a "stagger" hence the following combo is NOT guaranteed.

the problem is that when you get out of being dizzy. Lei can chose again what he wants because he may do first what he wants! Lau gets out of the staggering so Lei can do what he wants first he may do the first move atferwards. so basicly you are always screwed! also Lei can chose again to go for lowkick or highkick or just change his stand again!
    and just when you think to try to do a highkick or punch you get reversed!!! so the only way is to side step backwards as fast as possible, but you don't have done anything damage to him. while Lei has gotten all opportunities to kick , punch you!
    c'mon this isn't fair!

also when Lei is sitting on the ground and Lau too. Lei his palm strike can hit me, but Lau his d/df p can't hit???
    also Lei can just start the combo then by doing his elbow punch, punch for a 20% hit. ofcourse with lau I got something like this to, but the problem is I have to stand up first while Lei can do this from the ground!!!! which gives a serious speed advantage. also with Lei this move can be done without any distance or close distance, while with Lau you have to be careful for your distance otherwise you get that sneaky lowkick from Lei again.

also about people talking about Lei being predictable. what about the jump move from Lei when he jumps into the air from standing position and kicks with double legs. you don't see that coming do you?

and so I can go on and on. don't get me wrong I love all the input I get from you guys. because I am trying some of it at the moment. but you have not convinced me so far :)

4. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Ummm enough said! Though what you've said is much much better than other peoples, questions. Basically you've answered your own questions.

1. The double elbow, took me a while to figure which one you were talking about. "df+P+K, P" Thats Tiger Stance after the two moves. If you don't know Lei's option I suggest looking at my LeiFei dojo or even Lei's movelist. You'll understand why its so powerfl and also why it never connects. After the second attack its throw counterable.

All attacks from the Tiger Stance are linear, and its still a gamble as Lei has to "guess" correctly for the sabaki. Also not all moves are sabaki-able. Drop uf+P or dodge attack if you're up close and Lei is in stance.

You shouldn't be letting Lei get into stance anyway. The first part of the attack is a dodge punch. You're too predictable doing linear attacks at close range. You can also fake Lei into doing the "double elbow" so you can punish accordingly.

"Lei vs Lei" I can see Lei's options and weaknesses with this move and I can punish both the dodge move and also the Tiger Stance.

2) Throw: how many throws does Lei-Fei have? If you know after doing moves that you can be thrown but not hit do the throw escape. Lei only has df+P+G, the rest are fairly ordinary throws.

In summary, defense is the most important. In the end you've learnt dodging, struggling and throw escaping, should you master the above you'll find yourself winning much more.

As fun as the Lei combos were at the start for me. Yes people kept eating the Tiger Stance and [IN]d+K, but when I started losing more often because they adapted. I realised I had trained them in those defensive skills and found myself sorely lacking in those areas because of my focus on offense.

That "standing position and kicks with double legs" throw him after that (do you mean uf+K+G". Which brings me to another question. Do you know how to TR otherwise you can eat unnecessary damage. Also do you know when not to TR.

5. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Ken-
    "That elbow of doom doesn't mean anything"

Then you're playing against some crappy Lau's.

6. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

As fun as the Lei combos were at the start for me. Yes people kept eating the Tiger Stance and [IN]d+K, but when I started losing more often because they adapted. I realised I had trained them in those defensive skills and found myself sorely lacking in those areas because of my focus on offense.

That's exactly what happened to me /versus/images/icons/smile.gif Ppl, in the end, learnt how to block Lei's attack. That's why I've been playing Lei-fei of not depending too much on the 50%, 80%, 100% combos.
    Although ppl still sometimes eat my [IN]d+K, I had to it by dancing, I found this dance sequence is cool and if you do it fast you can barely see it coming yourself and it looks cool.

d+P+K+G - [DM]u+P+K+G - [IN]d+K

d+P+K+G - [DM]u+P+K+G - [IN]db+P+K+G - [EV]u+P+K+G - G-cancel stance - Throw

The second rarely happens and best not to use it. It becomes effective only if you play against very good opponent who knows Lei's moves. The animation from [EV] to [IN] looks like the sabaki [EV]P. This is where ppl have the tendency to block.

Although sometimes there is really no time to do Lei's dance, But in my opinion, doing the short dances like that is like Shun drinks(since I am a shun player as well) /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

7. ken

ken Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Ken-
    "That elbow of doom doesn't mean anything"

Then you're playing against some crappy Lau's.

<hr></blockquote>

I didn't say that!

Lau's elbow is very strong. He can do a palm after if the elbow staggers for a bounce combo. Same with his "df+K".

There's really no such thing as a crappy Lau. He probably the easiest to be effective with. Most of his moves are low risk and high reward.

I deliberately lose rounds by using [IN] stance with Lei so Lau does not do as many Punches. Its so hard to counter attack, reverse or dodge vs a good Lau.

8. NeoTokyo

NeoTokyo Active Member

Ken,

the reason I answer a lot of my questions myself is because I try playing with Lei Fei too, because when you play him you discover his weaknes too :)

1. The double elbow, took me a while to figure which one you were talking about. "df+P+K, P" Thats Tiger Stance after the two moves. If you don't know Lei's option I suggest looking at my LeiFei dojo or even Lei's movelist. You'll understand why its so powerfl and also why it never connects. After the second attack its throw counterable.

it is true it is counterable after the second attack, but what if there doesn't come a second attack yet? you see that is the problem. you just wait with Lei for the attack. and when it happens you get swept, kicked or punched. the only option I found now usefull is a throw escape. that works pretty well now, but it is hard to to on a joypad on a joystick this works much better!

All attacks from the Tiger Stance are linear, and its still a gamble as Lei has to "guess" correctly for the sabaki. Also not all moves are sabaki-able. Drop uf+P or dodge attack if you're up close and Lei is in stance

I tried to do that, and true sometimes it works, but it depends on how close you are if you are to far away you get or kicked or he goes back to defence. waits and kicks again or punch again :-(

You shouldn't be letting Lei get into stance anyway. The first part of the attack is a dodge punch. You're too predictable doing linear attacks at close range. You can also fake Lei into doing the "double elbow" so you can punish accordingly

the problem is the beginning with Lei, the movement begins with a sidestep and then the double elbow follows. and then the hurting start with the kicks or lowkicks. it is true I fight to linear and I am slowly changing that, but problem is somtimes you can't sidestep if he goes for the sweep! because just as I stated before Lei can do that to. and that make him so unpredictable. I am very good in learning Cpu patterns, but not in different stands. I get very confused!

That "standing position and kicks with double legs" throw him after that (do you mean uf+K+G". Which brings me to another question. Do you know how to TR otherwise you can eat unnecessary damage. Also do you know when not to TR.

yes I know I can throw afterwards and I always do it, only problem is. you get that kick if you expect it the least :-(

but true Lei Fei is a defensive playing character. you can do the most damage with him by just waiting till your opponent comes. and I am like Mark Hunt of K-1. hell with defences just attack , attack and attack :)

9. VCANEDA

VCANEDA Member

Is there a special stragety that u used.. or trick?