1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I just played Tekken 4..

Discussion in 'General' started by Myke, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    ..and it was such a disgusting experience. Just WTF is going on over at Namco? My main gripe is in the game's graphics and overall presentation. Technically speaking, it's a big improvement over TTT (arcade) but aesthetically it's such an eyesore. The PS2 TTT is so much better looking IMO. Some of the character's costumes look plain ridiculuous. Heihachi's new outfit has him in nothing but a diaper and a pair of geta (Japanese wooden clogs). OK, it's not really a diaper, it's meant to be sumo-like underwear (I forget what it's actually called). But ANYWAY, yuck!

Seems like Namco got a bunch of highschoolers on work experience to come up with the new character designs. While I'm not a fan of the Tekken games, it's kinda sad to see the designs regress to such a degree where I just can't look at it anymore.

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Game-play wise is it just the same old Tekken?

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I'm not the best to comment as I didn't play it for too long. In fact I had two sessions: The first with the new guy Steve (the boxer) but before I could get to my 2nd round against the CPU, some ass challenged me with Kazuya and killed me quick, almost like he had something to prove. The next session was a bit later with Hwoarang (I gave up on trying to play Steve since I had no knowledge of his moves) which lasted a bit longer -- several CPU opponents before another guy challenged me using (wait for it) Kazuya.

I should probably mention that I'm not sure what's meant to be special about TK4, so I was just playing it the way I would TTT and was doing fine. Anyway I'm not intending on doing a review of the game. Check the various tekken sites if you want that. I just felt like commenting on how ugly I thought the game looked.

Overall though the game is faster paced and doesn't feel as "sluggish" as the previous title. But at the end of the day it's still Tekken.

4. Hayai_JiJi

I thought I would ask the opinion of a VFer( we are not so biased) so thanks for the input.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

that's what shun said when he first saw the trailer
    TTT on ps2 looked better

maybe the top tekken experts were right in canning the game.

<font color=red>~~~ 'enemy not SPODED, enemy not DOWN/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Check out http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com and look at the forums if you really want the Tekken communities response to the game. So far, the people who have played it like it, but there seems to be some balance problems.

Read the first three pages of the forums if you want to know all the praise and problems the Tekken fans have with the game.

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

One of my friends rang me todae n said ' dude there's a new game at the arcades...something something 4 (non gamer)"

I was like....'eh..what 4?'

him: " aiya...i dun play game ..how i know...anyway..good looking gfx lah'

So i put 2 n 2 together...if it was T4...he would have said ' something 4'...not 'something something 4' which means it must be Virtua fighter 4...

So I found a pissy excuse to leave class....on my way..I thought if it was VF4, ah..I can always leave hunting big n stupid bears to next season..../versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

Of coz it was T4...there's a chance big fat arcade owner could not tell the difference between 'Tekken' and 'Virtua fighter'

Incidentally, there was one guy playing there...he had like 10 bucks on the machine..using christie and only tapping the one button...ONE BUTTON!

n the gfx...oh yuck~!

I went n DLed the Jin clip todae..man he is sooo cool!

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

8. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

I went n DLed the Jin clip todae..man he is sooo cool!

I'm glad they've decided to change one of the Mishima's fighting styles.....because in Tekken 3 Jin's personality was just another Akira/Ryu rip-off.

9. JunesOne

JunesOne Member

u don't know much hey kid..

10. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

What? Explain please. You don't think Jin is just a poor man's Akira (in T3)?

11. Hayai_JiJi

Paul is the poor man's Akira in Tekken

12. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

In terms of moves, Julia, Paul and Jin all imitate Akira, but I meant Jin's overall persona and image. It's built upon the Japanese hero template that Akira epitomises.

13. Hayai_JiJi

I guess I never payed much attention to it. I always thought Michelle and Julia were kind of Pai rip-offs.

P.S. have you seen how King's hair animates in 4 hahahaha!

14. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Julia has Lei-Fang and Akira-esque dashing elbow moves (sudden, powerful blows), and a DLC (of sorts).

15. RedQueen

RedQueen Well-Known Member

yep i saw T4 today. same thing as TTT on the PS2 grahics wise. bullshit damage tho, a simple combo takes a LOT.....
    but i think the biggest gripe would be the new costumes haha i mean wtf were the designers thinking??? Heihachi in underwear? and Christie in a g-string top?
    <end rant mode>

~ Shori no Eko Kimi ni ~

16. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I have no problems with Christie in a G-string top ^_^

17. JunesOne

JunesOne Member

u use the word imitate so freely, which is silly; so since u've dug this hole of your's, which moves of paul or jin look like they've made a poor attempt to imitate akira's moves? give me some sort of notation too so i know what moves u're trying to explain..hmm btw tk2 was out before vf3 and if u look at some of the chars moves in that (and going off your model for judgement) wang's dfdf+2+4 looks awfully similar to akira's reverse body check ..hmm..
    one more thing..gee Ryu must've bitten his persona and image from akira aswell..hmm..

18. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Haha...
    I betcha those hamsup boyz at the arcade will look at Christie n say ' wow..sooooo nice'

Then they will look at sarah n say ' ewwwww so fat' , look at aoi n pai n say 'ewwww so flat '~

U know who I am referring to~/versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

Remember, these boyz agree in a united voice that the PS T3 is better looking than VF3tb on DC...and UO is the 'MUTEKI' game in terms of graphics n gameplay combined~!
    " oh look what I bought at the market todae...a pet dragon!!!"
    All: " OHHH U R SO MUTEKI!!!!!!"

" look...I just fried the enemy with my lighting spell..."
    ALL: " OH UR MAGIC SO MUTEKI!!!"

However,I agree with them when they say Lion is ' SO GAY!'

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

19. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

tekken took this vf took that.... video games always have rip offs and imitations... yes akira does have a ryuesque look but he aint so easy to learn/use/master. and oh btw christie is hot yet i can beat a lot of people with her just by pressing the kick buttons ; )

20. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

"which moves of paul or jin look like they've made a poor attempt to imitate akira's moves? "

oh my, where should i start. i dunno about jin but it's VERY well known that paul IS akira, c'mon now. do i have to list them all?

"wang's dfdf+2+4 looks awfully similar to akira's reverse body check"

akira had this since VF1 !!

[​IMG]

<font color=red>nAndato</font color=red>