1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I just played Tekken 4..

Discussion in 'General' started by Myke, Aug 17, 2001.

1. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

As Piccolo hs just said, Paul is a lot like Akira. I can't remember the commands because I don't play Tekken any more. However, I can remember that one of his new moves in TTT was a lame dashing elbow imitation.

As for Jin, how about:
    * Namco put him on the front cover
    * He's obviously the star character
    * He's the all-Japanese, dedicated-to-his-martial-art hero
    * He looks like Akira
    * His overall style is very balanced, including a wide range of reversals

See my point yet?

As has also been mentioned, Wang's bodycheck was design _after_ Akira's, so that idea of yours has been blown out of the water too.

I've got nothing against Jin. In fact he was one of my favourite characters in T3. I'm just saying that he is nowhere near as cool or original as Akira. I mean, come on! You'll be telling us some guy in Pit Fighter could do SPoD next! ;)

As for your comment about Ryu: I've already mentioned this above in another post. The Japanese hero persona did appear in Ryu before Akira - I won't argue that fact, and I have no reason to want to argue it either.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't understand what you're complaining about. The presentation of characters in Tekken has always been more tasteful to the stale, stereotypical characters of VF.

3. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

you idoit you dont understand do you? every single fighter is tekken is a stereotypical most tekken players go on about how good the storyline is in tekken how it makes it the best fighting game ever well heres 2 facts for you. Number 1storyline in fighting games dont matter sqaut " the storyline in tekken has been a load of old horse dung since number 3 . The story line of 2 was quite good but again it dont matter.

'Strong body but a weak mind' Sam Seed from Drunken Masters

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    What happened to the 2nd fact, Drunken_Master? Actually, never mind. I, nor the Anonymous guy, were talking about story lines anyway.

The presentation of the characters is what bugged me most about the TK4, especially the "new" costumes. Some shit just doesn't make sense, or is badly coordinated in a fashion sense. I already mentioned the semi-naked Heihachi, but how about Kazuya? He's dressed in smart-casual attire except he's got a pair of those fighting-gloves on. I look at that character and think "Why?" What's that all about?

It seems that the designers went over-the-top in every way imaginable. The hair animation, for example, is just ridiculous. Nothing in TK4 is subtle. It's loud, arrogant, insulting and visually offensive.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

'The hell is this jibberish?

"Namco put him on the front cover"
    "He's obviously the star character"

Those 2 often tie together... but I suppose any main character is a copy of Akira now aren't they?

"He's the all-Japanese, dedicated-to-his-martial-art hero"

Well, being that the game is made by Japanese, for Japanese... it isn't that rare to find a Japanese main character in a fighting game.

As for being a martial-arts dedicated hero... you obviously have never played Tekken. Jin doesn't give a shit about martial arts... He is in the tournament for revenge. Not to mention that his blood is cursed by the devil, for he is the son of Kazuya... but I suppose Akira has a similar story as well?

"He looks like Akira"

Really? I thought he looked like a hybrid of Kazuya and Jun?! But then, I suppose any Japanese male character with spiky hair is a Akira rip-off aren't they?

"His overall style is very balanced, including a wide range of reversals"

Yup. And that style is thanks to the fact that he is a combination of his father and mother. But I suppose that it's your theory that namco planned this one game ahead... and only created Jun in T2 for the sole purpose of creating an Akira rip-off in a game that would be created a couple years later...

Like what others have previously stated... the only person in Tekken that rips-off Akira is Paul...

6. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

FUCK OFF

I REALLY DON'T GIVE A SHIT AND HONESTLY DON'T KNOW WHY I LET YOU DRAW ME INTO SUCH A TRIVIAL FUCKING DEBATE.

NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP.

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Heh heh, you know, I never thought of Paul as a Akira-rip off before until this thread. I always thought the rip off was Julia...

8. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

im surprised no one has mentioned king, but he's a wrestler anyway, so they have to do the same things. although its funny how sooo many of king's moves are done by wolf. :) coincidence?.....i dunno.

[​IMG]

<font color=red>nAndato</font color=red>

9. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

You said it yourself Piccolo. They're both wrestlers so their techniques will be similar. Then again, Wolf had the "Giant Swing" from VF1 and King got it in Tekken 2 If I remember correctly. Doesn't King use the south american style (can't remember the name but it begins with an L) which is supposed to be very flamboyant and acrobatic? And on the other hand you have Wolf who uses a more orthodox style. The "Stone Cold Stunner" was a good addition to Wolf in VF4.

Adio.

10. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Both styles, I would say, are flamboyant....none of them even come close to resembling real greco-roman wrestling.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

11. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Really? Not even with Wolf's "Catch" and throw techniques. And don't forget his low side tackle move that lets him do various throws. Ever Since VF3 I've felt that Wolf was vary realistic. Greco-roman? Isn't that more Jeffery's forte, considering he uses Pancrantium?

12. Guest

Guest Guest

blah blah blah

I am an avid player of both games. I would just want to say Jin is nothing like Akira. Sure Jin is on the head cover of many Namco products, but that doesn't make him anywhere as close to Akira. The moves and his persona are different. I think the closest character to Akira is Paul, but Paul has plenty of moves that make him his own identity.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Tekken 4 is okay

Tekken 4 is an okay game. Its funs and has its share of in depth fighting engine. The game is much smoother and provides a better play of delay attacks and strings. The over all movement is the same except the up and down input of auto side step nees to get used to. Plenty of players had a hard time with it, but now its becoming second nature played more. Ducking input is either d/b and d/f and jumping is done only to u/b and u/f. There are some guarenteed combo bs and some weird wall combo engine. The game is okay, many think its one of the best fighting games out right now and others think that it sucks. I am more nuetral, nothing but mixed feelings for the game, its fun none the less and I play it a lot. Its the best Tekken game in the series, but its not the best fighting game thats out.