1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I need help with a few matchups.

Discussion in 'Jacky' started by DigitlSamurai, Sep 28, 2012.

1. DigitlSamurai

DigitlSamurai Well-Known Member

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    I always get clobbered by: Shun, Eileen and Lion. I can't see any opportunities to attack and I don't know whether to block high, or low. Shun in particular confuses me because he always seems to be at a distance where it looks like he can't hit me, but he can. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. Chibiaya

Chibiaya Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Bus Orez
    Well those matchups can indeed be pretty hard if you dont know how to fight them. I think the worst of the matchups on that list for jacky is lion. Jacky cannot play his up close game vs him.

Vs lion: Jacky wants to be at a certain range vs lion. Generally when fighting lion, You want to stay in his face and do not let him get any distance on you. Though this can be hard with him having an 11 frame jab and generally faster pokes than Jacky. Personally I think this is a really rough match for jacky. The jacky player has to punish lion for even the smallest mistake. Any mistakes that go unpunished is similar to giving lion a get out of jail free card. As with any character, learn how to properly punish lion. Learn the frames, what is punishable and isnt punishable. This will give you a basic idea of how to fight against lion. Also watch the lion player. If you have to, lose a few games vs the lion player so that you can see the style that he uses. If he uses alot of evasive low attacks, then adapt your play to punish his use of lows. A lion player will do whatever he wants until you show him that he cannot run that type of game on you. If the lion uses his mids, then adapt your game to be able to punish him for that. As I said before, Lion can be really hard for a jacky player. This is a matchup where your going to want to stay aggressive and not give lion an inch. Dont let him breathe. You punish lion much harder than he punishes you so that is a plus. However this match is extremely frustrating due to lions highly evasive nature.

Vs Eileen: I do not claim to be a pro in this match up so Tricky might be a better person to ask in terms of fighting eileen. Eileen is weird because she too has very evasive moves and can crush jacky's low offense with out taking much risk. One of the better things to do in this matchup is to space her, 3k, p+k, 6 p+k are all strong moves to push her back. Keep her away from you. When you get your offense going, stick to jacky's strong mids to keep her guessing as to when to crush your move. One wrong guess from eileen and jacky is eating half her life bar with little to no effort. Also try to stay safe vs her. No need to take too many huge risks. In this matchup i actually like throwing 6k out at random though, She doesnt punish it very hard like other characters so i can take a few liberties. That is risky though so be smart about your usage of the move vs her. You should be ok as long as you keep her at a distance and force her to come to you. Oh and dont whiff alot, Eileen is decent at whiff punishing with her 9k.

Vs Shun: Kinda the same approach to fighting eileen. Against shun, You want to be in his grill most of the time though. You cannot by any means let him drink. Learn how to knock drinks out of him too. That is a very important aspect to fighting shun. When i do fight against a shun player i tend to stay at midrange. 1kk isnt as useful at that range so i dont have to worry about being blasted by that low. midrange is also a good enough distance to keep him from getting free drinks. Getting further away than there is generally bad because a shun player will take liberties and start drinking; which ultimately is bad for you.

*Disclaimer* I do no profess to be an expert or a top player. I am merely offering my opinions

3. DigitlSamurai

DigitlSamurai Well-Known Member

PSN:
    DigitlSamurai
    XBL:
    DgtlSamurai KOF
    Thanks for the help! I forgot to mention in my original post that I also have trouble with El Blaze. Any suggestions on how to deal with him?

4. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    A really good way to help you learn matchups is to go through that characters command training with detailed info on. Pay attention to what moves can be side stepped and in which direct and which moves are positive on hit. Also look out for move and strings you can escape by ducking instead of blocking high.

When you're done with that, go into free training, go through the moves list again, but with the CPU set to block. That way you'll be able to tell when you can apply mixups when you block something or even when you can punish.

5. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

To add a little on Elieen, she's actually quite susceptible to evades. Most all of her standing attacks are linear, and all of her best options from her strings are linear too. She usually has an 'evade-beating' option from each situation, but that attack is usually poor at beating other options, so if you make liberal use of evades, you can force Eileen to start having to use these evade-beating attacks, which are then vulnerable to other forms of defence (usually they're high, so you can crouch and punish). Note that she can delay a lot of her strings, which is always an option to beat evade, but again, once you force her into these options, she's left vulnerable to other things, in this case, eating a launcher when she tries to delay.

Keeping range was also some good advice. She's not very good at the long-range game, so if you can keep pressure with 3K, or even 4K+G, you'll score a few decent hits whilst she tries to get in range (just beware of her monkey run > K - it's fast and has a lot of range, but she has no options once it's started, so if you guard it or evade it, she's in trouble).

6. BlondieVF5

BlondieVF5 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BLONDIE_hydra
    All of the characters you are mentioning having a problem with are common matchup problems for jacky, so you are right in feeling like your options are limited.

Jacky is a PETE character, Punch, elbow, Throw escape based character. What you need to remember is all of these characters specialize in punishing you for high punch, lp, and elbow very effectively. Change up your attacks, if you're thinking elbow, use mid kick df+k. If you're thinking high punch or low punch, mash out a launcher instead, f+k, p+k, f+k+g. If your opponent uses a move that was going to beat your lp or hp it's going to be slower than another elbow or mid kick. Basically just rearrange your attack list according to what your opponent is trying to counter you with.

As a jacky player for a LONG time, you have to be in their face and firmly commited to all your attacks. You can't afford to throw out uncalculated lp's or elbows.

There's a lot of jacky's out there currently playing in online lag using his shufflestep moves a lot more often than they probably should. Jacky is an in your face character, beating/interupting every attack you do at high levels, not shuffle stepping.....

Don't develop bad habits relying on shuffle step shenanigans that work in online and miss the true nature of an in your face PETE aggressive jacky.

7. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Wait...Isn't every character in the game (with the possible exception of Shun) a "Punch, Elbow, Throw Escape" character?

I don't think it's right to say Jacky should be right up close in you face character either. If i'm using Eileen, that's actually exactly where i want you. Being at mid-long range makes the fight harder against Jacky for Eileen. Against the Shun, another character mentioned, this range may help some of this moves become more visible. If you're outside the range of his [1][K] you have far less reason to block low against Shun, which can make the fight easier.

Genzen and Chibiaya like this.
  8. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    One strength of Jackys is that he can play at any range he damn well likes.

Genzen and Chibiaya like this.
  9. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

Yeah, Eileen is definitely better kept at range where her short limbs can't reach. At close range, she's definitely at her strongest. For Shun, you likely want to keep him at your side-kick/beat knuckle range, where most of Shun's shorter moves don't reach and you can poke at him with medium-range attacks. Lion's pretty decent at all range levels, though I'd wanna keep him somewhat close so that he can't negate the start-up of his circular attacks by using their advancing motions to close the gap, but really, he can perform at every level.

MarlyJay likes this.