1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I think Virtua Fighter 4 could've been better....

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, May 11, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Graphically on the PS2, I've seen better looking games on the PS2 for example: Jak and Daxter, The textures were 5x better than Virtua Fighter 4's even though the environment was about 20x bigger than Virtua Fighter 4's and there was not one second of loading time. The same with Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance. And if you think about it, Virtua Fighter 4 is a First Generation game since it was AM2's first game on the PS2 and didn't have any experience with the PS2 hardware.

What's your opinion?

2. stanj

stanj Member

Perhaps, but the character models are far more complex in VF4 than in Jax and Daxter or Baldur's Gate. To make the game play correctly and to keep the detail level high, the textures had to suffer a little. In just a matter of compromise.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Actually Baldur's Gate's Character models were very detailed with 20,000 - 50,000 polygons, Virtua Fighter 4 has only 10,000 in each character. Even the lighting was better.

Thanks for responding.

4. stanj

stanj Member

I didn't know that. But even so, you don't have to make the Baldur's Gate characters do the same things as the VF ones or do them as fast. I'd like to see a beholder pull off a SPOD, though...

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Why are you comparing action adventure games to a fighting game?? Yawn.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, but some of VF4's backgounds are a bit "cheap" or "bland" looking compared to say.....Tekken 4 /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Well then, please kindly post your thoughts on the Tekken-VF graphics thread that already exists...

8. stanj

stanj Member

Isn't Tekken 4 on a DVD? There'd be more space. Tekken actually uses the backgrounds as part of the fights. God, Tekken Tag bit...

9. JKG

JKG Member

wha? I love the VF4/T4 graphics. I don't see anything worth fixing about them. Though I do find the arcade version of VF4 to be a lil to shiny, like plastic.

10. Alx

Alx Member

From what I've seen from Jak & Daxter and from what I know from Baldur's Gate DA (I owned the game but sold it a few months ago), I don't see where the nice textures are. These games were rather nice, but not so wonderful. Neither is VF4 by the way, but its graphics are ok, and many textures are really detailed. But I think that its main technical quality is in its animation and fighting engine (no more "teleporting character" for throw animations, for example). And its main flaws are in character modeling (in the PS2 version)

But I agree VF4 could have been better in the menus : for example, why should I have to reload my AI character each time I want to show him a replay ? Can't I keep him activated and show him as many replays as I want ? Same thing for VS mode...

11. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Agreed, VF4 could've been better, but shit -- give 'em a break. This is the first time that Sega has had to develop for a crappy system -- development wise. (I know a developer or two... apparantly all the rumors about it being a beast to develop on are true.). And what is VF4 based on? Naomi2 -- easy to program for.

That's like taking a Windows SysAdmin, throwing him in a Unix environment, and saying - Okay, you've got 8 months to do the same thing you did on that easy machine, on this other one.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

It could've been "arcade perfect" if they had maybe a few more months.

13. HalfLotus

HalfLotus Active Member

Every game could be better with more time and resources. I got my money's worth.

14. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I'm sure this discussion has been here before, but I think if they had another year, they still wouldn't have made it arcade perfect. Better, yes.

15. facesOFdeath

facesOFdeath New Member

I agree with him, I think they should've had more time to develope VF4 to make it arcade perfect because it's Sega's most important series. I think it's very much possible because he's right I've seen better graphics on this system.

16. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

do you not realise that every conversion to the VF series was not arcade perfect? change the record man,.... you play the gameplay, not the grapics.

games witch concerntrait, or rely on graphical candy are usually comprimised by it's gameplay *coughcough DoA3 cough*..... would you rather perfer gameplay & tech flaws instead? something which your adventure game does not need to worry about..

17. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

He's just saying that both arcade perfect graphics and arcade perfect gameplay were both possible on the PS2.

18. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

No they were not, PS2 is weaker in just about all areas .

19. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

No it isn't it's just very hard to develop for, trust me I read alot about the PS2's hardware.

20. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

So do I, the PS2 hardware sucks .
    There ya go .