1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I think Virtua Fighter 4 could've been better....

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, May 11, 2002.

1. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Agreed. Naomi2 arcade board is way more powerful than a PS2, and Sega almost always maxes the HW specs. I gues we'll see when Treasure ports Ikaruga to the DC & PS2, although I doubt more than a handful of people here have played Ikaruga yet.

2. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Whatever your opinion is it's alright but I disagree with y'all. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

To anyone who thinks the Gamecube is more powerful than the PS2 read this
    <a target="_blank" href=http://cube.ign.com/articles/086/086984p1.html>http://cube.ign.com/articles/086/086984p1.html</a>

3. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

sorry dude, 4MB of video ram will not replicate naomi2's texture mapping... why do you think people have such a problem with anti-aliasing? it's either smoothness or detail... sega just could not do it.

4. Jinisgod

Jinisgod Well-Known Member

"Why are you comparing action adventure games to a fighting game?? Yawn."

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus this is getting old

red:)

5. HighKing

Yeah, cause Sega sucks nuts. There are way better developers out there that can create better graphics on the PS2. So just face it. SEGA SUCKS with the PS2's hardware. If they were skilled developers they could make great graphics but they can't, they can't do it like Squaresoft does. They are TRULY skilled developers who actually care about their games. And let's face it graphics are a big part of a game. You don't wanna be playing something with Virtua Fighter 4 gameplay but has fucked up atari graphics. I don't believe people when they say graphics don't matter but gameplay does. That's bullshit, graphics affect gameplay a whole lot, It contributes to the realism and what emotions the characters are portraying so it helps you better understand the story. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

6. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

They're amazingly skilled develoeprs (and likely the most innovative game developers in the world) who happen to pick they're most popular and open-to-criticism game to be the first to develop for a 'difficult-to-program' for system. AM2, and every other Sega development team has been doing Naomi/Hikaru/Dreamcast development for the last what... 4 years? Cut 'em some slack for fucks sake.

For further notes, see:
    JSR, JSRF, Shenmue I & II, PSO, Sonic Adventure (and the list goes on).

7. HighKing

Oh yeah the Gamecube can produce awesome textures but it has only 2mb of video RAM.

8. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Graphics matters, but gameplay matters far more than graphics. I'd play VF4 if it looked like VF1, I'd just have a harder time getting my friends to do so. And I'm sorry, but VF4 looks way more realistic than FFX, and VF4 has a lot more graphical hurdles to go through (it's a fighter, not an RPG).

9. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

"they can't do it like Squaresoft does"

don't make me laugh..... what, you mean all out C&G? yeah.. highly impressive, i don't see any developers pushing the console to anywhere near the extremes of Shenmue on the dreamcast yet, look at that game and tell me sega are poor developers...., a simple conversion does not judge sega's potential.

remember that with squaresoft, namco, and other developers in mind producing games on the PS2, they have the PS2's hardware as prime base which means they have the time and intentions to explore it's hardware...... do you not realise thet VF4 is a console conversion? this means replicating effects & proportion towards it's Naomi2 cousin using PS2 hardware, not making this game for the PS2..

had of sega used the system 246 to create VF4, it would have been a quick 'n easy arcade perfect conversion, remember that sega has not yet released an exclusive project for the PS2 yet other than a re-hash of Shinobi, stay tuned... squaresoft does not impress me in the slightest

10. HighKing

Why is a fighter more difficult to make then an RPG?

11. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

RPGs don't have to animate at 60fps, for one thing. You can also skimp on the animations (like Cloud's necklace).

12. HighKing

Cloud? Have you even played FFX? ....your probably gonna say yes.

13. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

"Why is a fighter more difficult to make then an RPG?"

read my post highking, what i was trying to say was that unlike games like jak & daxter which is being developed with PS2 hardware in mind, VF4 was being developed only to replicate it's arcade cousin with Naomi2's hardware in mind... this is more of a difficult task to overcome whereas naughty dog's limitations are not comprimised to suit replications, only to be developed FOR PS2's development kit.

remember that sega's only intentions were to bring VF4 to the PS2 to make it as much like the arcade version as possible, not design it to suit PS2's hardware. comprimises with inferior hardware are not avoided only replaced with the console's tools.

have you ever compressed a web movie before?

14. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

d'oh! Tidus' necklace... now I feel stupid /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

15. HighKing

Who says Virtua Fighter 4 can be arcade perfect:pS2 screens

Tomb Raider:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

primal:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In my opinion, these games far surpass VF4 in terms of graphics.

16. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Ummm.....Its a whole different game. coming out a whole different time. That was never in the arcades. Statistics show that the later a game comes out, the graphics 'should' be better than the older.

17. HighKing

Like I said before AM2 had no experience with the PS2 hardware so they didn't know how to use the hardware. It's a fact that the PS2 is hard to develope for, It's way different than the NAOMI 2, but the PS2 still had the potential for arcade perfect visuals but I guess AM2 screwed the fuck up.

18. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

...are you telling me this is NAOMI2 standard??

the first two screens are easily handled by dreamcast hardware and look no better than biohazard:code veronica, and the last two screens look like a higher rez version of metal gear on the PSX! (less than D2 on the dreamcast)

take it away....

19. HighKing

I'm saying it looks better than VF4, Where the fuck did I say that those screens are NAOMI 2 caliber? Huh? tell me if I did.

20. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Mkay highking. You will be going to hell for that "sega sucks" remark. You mus be smokin some hardcore crack. Sega is one of the best developers out there....sure there might be some games out there that have better graphics than VF but if you think VF4 graphics suck..Im wondering what you think really good graphics are. Your expectations are too high and it is gamplay over graphics. Im sure you like Chrono Trigger, CvS, Bomberman even, or any other game that came out in the time when a game that had better graphics than existed.
    Lowered Expectations......