1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

ICE-9 IS MY HERO!!! COME ON U.S.A

Discussion in 'General' started by Blondie, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

I went back about 3 years to dig this up but WOW, "Look at this site now". Congrats to you guys for making this site "The Best". If this post doesn't get you Completely Jacked for the VF4 console release and possibly ignite a fire in you to show the world that U.S. can be a VF Powerhouse, I think your in the wrong place. This was a vision 3 years ago and I have full intensions of helping to fulfill that. America Needs a Tetsujin figure, Who is going to lead the revolution!!! Come on America! Stop watching Korean and Japanese vids. Lets start making our own! Peace.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It's 4 am in the morning, and I really don't want to do any more Econ homework. At least for a while.

So I'm going to take a few minutes to rant about how I see this site evolving.

Redesign
    I'm so impressed with the set up of this board, I may even alter the color scheme of the redesign we had discussed before at the old Versus City to match this one. Unless I receive strong objections, this is probably what will happen.

Beginner Friendly
    We all know that VF isn't the easiest game to play, and that it's not the most rewarding for the common gamer. If we ever want VF to be a success here in the U.S., we must be prepared to provide the foundation for beginners to start off from.

Step Guides
    This will be a major force at VFDC, and will be the "meat" for many beginner and intermediate players.

- Step 1 Guides will be written for every character, and each guide will be beefed up by extensive use of images. I'm hoping to be able to get images for all the major moves and maybe images for D-pad and button inputs.

- Step 2 Guides will basically act as giant FAQs that will bring the player up to a competent level with a character. These guides will probably be the most difficult to write as they must be quite comprehensive.

- Step 3 Guides are much more flexible and dynamic. Essentially, they are documents that will be collectively written by veterans. I know that most of you don't have the time to write huge FAQs, but love to write a paragraph or two about specific strategies. Step 3 Guides will be a collection of those strategies, and will feature only the most advanced or obscure techniques that only a master of a character would bother learning. Thus for all intents and purposes, Step 2 guides are sufficient for most players to be "good". Step 3 is the domain of veterans only.

General Guides
    There will also a big push for more guides focused on general issues. Topics can range from VF psychology to stuff like the optimal method of control. Basically, articles to help players become better overall gamers.

Multimedia
    Even more movies. Lots of them. We will also try to include such miscellaneous things as wallpapers, screensavers, etc. but I think we can all agree that the emphasis should be on concrete content.

Easy User Participation
    I've begun dabbling in Perl scripts, and I've found a few really, really cool tools that will make adding content to this site a snap. Seriously easy. So easy that you won't really need to know any HTML to be able to contribute to this site. I want this site to be something by VFers, for VFers.

Meijins of America
    The Japanese had their Tetsujins. And because these players held such high status, beginners looked up to them and saw them as examples to follow. America does not have a parallel, and I think this is unfortunate.

The best VFers visit this site. The best VFers travel cross borders to participate in gatherings. These are the Meijins of America, and recognition needs to be given. Yes, I want to idolize the best of the best in this country so beginners can look up to all of you as examples of what could be achieved. I want to create the American equivalent to the Tetsujins.

Sponsorship
    I touched on this a little bit before. To be honest, we need money to really get this web site going. We also need to hire a translator to transfer the ton of VF information from Japanese to English. We need a ton of space and bandwidth if we intend on adding the kind of multimedia that we envision. I will be intensifying my search for such sponsorship after the move is completed.

I will be frank -- http://virtuafighter.com as it is does not generate enough page views to be able to survive on its own.

The Future: Virtua Fighter 4
    This site will attack VF4 like a tiger that hasn't eaten for weeks. VF3tb is the foundation for this site, the starting point, but VF4 will be the iteration where this place will truly explode. VF3 is our Saturn, but VF4 will be our Dreamcast. I have already decided to purchase a VF4 arcade as soon as it is released so that I can test the combos, techniques, and strategies as soon as they are discovered. Hopefully, by then I would have also mastered the art of motion video and would be able to transplant them on to the Web fairly quickly and regularly.

The question, of course, is when? Where is Virtua Fighter 4?

The House of VF
    If you love VF, love the web, and have lofty ambitions, I encourage you to contact me. It does not make sense to have two different sites that feature similar content. Integrate into VFDC and VFDC's vast resources will be open to you (i.e. a large amount of space and bandwidth).

Well, that about ends my rant. All feedback is welcome.

P.S. My computer should be arriving on the 20th this month. Expect things to really begin rolling then.

ice-9 | Sennin

<hr></blockquote>

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

What are you smoking? Carpet fibers?

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

* Runs away in embarrassment * Wow, I was really young back then. Anyway, most of you probably hadn't seen the old VFDC. This is some of the stuff that was on the <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/vf3/worst_site_ever.html>old VFDC</a>. None of the links work, of course, and the site template was obviously not that.

A lot of the credit of where this VFDC is now belongs to Myke. He's the guy that implemented the new design, most of the cool scripts, transcribed some of the older stuff and new VF4 materials, and of course the movelists. I'm mostly in the background working on Dojos and in Versus City.