1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

If there was one thing you could modify or add ?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ONISTOMPA, Jun 10, 2003.

1. MrUmenokouji

MrUmenokouji Well-Known Member

Truthfully if there was one thing I'd modify, just one, it'd be recovery time on
    some attacks, like that Akira (surprise exchange I believe?) throw where he sort of jerks you off-balance and swings
    you past him to put distance between you, usually with a SPoD to follow because you're still "swooning"
    from the "attack". I mean, your characters' are supposed to be excellent martial artists, and
    they aren't agile enough to recover from a push? Admittedly, if Akira pushed ME like that,
    I'd be ass over teakettle, but I'm a clumsy clod not a professional martial competitor. This kills me every
    time I see it.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

heh you don't get off the hook on this one... your intention/philosophy is really simple and clear and your wording unaMbiguous: you should do anything you can to fuck with the other person and get in their head and make them lose, short of physically attacking.

No offense, but it's really an asshole philosophy. I'd rather the victory come from me winning than the other guy losing, if you catch my drift.

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Fine then, lets take what I said at just face value - yes. You winning comes partly from the other guy just screwing up. You ever watch a Mixed martial arts match? The recent one with Chuck Liddell and Randy Cotour comes to mind. These two guys are friends..but they check that friendship at the door when they have to go and fight each other. When they were in the ring, they did EVERYTHING they possibly could to throw the other guy off his game. Thats being professional. Saying to discount trying to discourage the other guy would be like saying, I Just won't try and predict the other dude's moves and counter them. I believe there was an old VF3 match where Chibitia (?) announced before the match he will win by ring out, and even stated how he was going to set it up. It took place on Sarah's stage. He then went about to win exactly the way he stated. I am sure him stating how he is going to win screwed with the other guys head. Once that dude saw that Chibitia was then going about it exactly as he said, he got frustrated and thrown off his game even more, which contributed to Chibita winning.
    For a more modern example, when you bitch about Shun's [K][K][2][P][K] move, or I bitch about Goh's punches have too much priority...should you or I simply stop using them b/c it frustrates the other person? Fuck NO. You do it over and over again to get to each other even more.
    When I was in NJ over the last weekend, we all talked our shit and had some fun. Now, if your gunna go nuts and start making racial jokes or something that is particularly distatesfull or spitefull, thats a whole nother level. But talking a bit of trash, showboating, etc, to gain some sort of mental advantage, that is fair play my friend. How do you think Mike Tyson won most of his matches? He had his opponents beat WAAAAAAAAY before he got to the ring. They were scared and intimidated by him because they allowed him to get into their head. Why did Tyson loose to, fucking a...Hollyfield (is that it?), because Hollyfield did not buy into all of Tyson's shit talking.

4. ghgh

ghgh Member

I'm not much of a player - more of an enthusiast, but what do you guys think if they made the characters "train-able" to an extent? You remember in some old nintendo boxing games, you can use points to make your character faster or stronger? (Something like that anyways). Along those lines, I think it would be nice to see the capablity to increase your characters speed (which will negotiate power) or vice versa. Also, make it possible to "win" or gain new moves/throws... say after a certain amount of plays or certain amount of wins??

Along the lines of winning things, I think it would be a "fun" factor if you can win someone else's prizes. For example, if I fought and beat (in a ranking/prize match) Tsuchikumo's Pai, the system will award me Tsuchikumo's Pai's mask - the the system will keep a record of where all of your prizes were attained from. So it would make some kid happy to say, "I have a famous player's so-and-so because I played and beat him, etc!" I figure that'd be trivial though.

5. ONISTOMPA

ONISTOMPA Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ghgh said:

I'm not much of a player - more of an enthusiast, but what do you guys think if they made the characters "train-able" to an extent? You remember in some old nintendo boxing games, you can use points to make your character faster or stronger? (Something like that anyways). Along those lines, I think it would be nice to see the capablity to increase your characters speed (which will negotiate power) or vice versa. Also, make it possible to "win" or gain new moves/throws... say after a certain amount of plays or certain amount of wins??

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I don't think it would work : it might screw up the balance and also I dunno if most ppl would like the fact that they have to win their characters full movelist. I remember SF alpha 3 had something almost similar to what you're suggesting (I think it was world tour mode) and it was cool and all but I can't see it work in VF.

6. MrUmenokouji

This is still a crock of shit, fella. If your example is the current trend in competitions to utterly disrespect the other fighter (talking real world here, not VF), then your point should be taken to task. There's no need for the bullshit trash-talking in a professional arena; it's dramatic, in that inbred WWF world-view, but look at Gatti-Ward, three of the best boxing matches in recent memory, and nary a goddamn bit of trash-talking to be seen. Two guys who like each other so much, they spend time with each other's families...in the ring, they pounded the fuck out of one another, came out, spoke highly and even shared a goddamn bottle of water at a press conference. So come on, Shadowdean...you're justifying a bad trend in today's American "Win-All, Fuck You" mentality.

Now you and your friends, that's a different tale. Nobody cares, because you guys know what's up. But let's not sit here and tell the world it's okay to spit in a guy's face like Bill Romanowski during competition. That's retarded. And by the way, one of my all-time favorite football players was a Packers SS named Chuck Cecil, one of the hardest hitting, vicious fuckers to ever play (he hit people so hard he ended his own career, that and no feet), but the guy was quiet, didn't say "I'm going to kill you when you go across the middle"...he just did it. A raging psycho, but he played the game like he had pride in a profession, not like it was his personal "statement" about how fucking great he was. That's the problem today...too many people think they're great, when they're just mediocre at best. Trash-talking makes up for that. This is NOT about trash to friends, but trash between professionals, and strangers playing VF in Japan.

7. MrUmenokouji

There's something like this in KNOCKOUT KINGS career mode...every fight you win gets you points, which you then apply to certain aspects of your fighter...his chin, his power, his speed, his heart...this might not be a bad thing in VF, but you could only do it playing the computer...the balance needs to remain for human to human fights.

8. Shadowdean

I think your kinda missing the point of what I said...read my post again fella.
    You don't think in the ring they try to do EVERYTHING they can to do (they being any 2 competitors) to gain an advantage?

9. ONISTOMPA

Here we go again. Guys, lets just agree to disagree on this one.

CreeD : /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif See what you started again. /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. MrUmenokouji

Well, there's the heat of the battle and all. But I like to think whatever is being said is understood between the two men...the thing about real tough competitions between evenly-matched fighters is that it's sort of redundant to say, "I'm gonna make you my bitch," or anything at all, seeing as how you are trying to knock them out, one way or another. I can't imagine much being SAID, though I imagine the occasional butt, elbow, or thumb to the eye, out of frustration or whatever, is understood for that reason. Ali was a fighter who pumped himself up with trash talk, but the guy's an aberration, a great boxer who just happened to be a big mouth. Still, I'll agree, when it comes down to it, whatever you can do to win within the rules of competition is there for the taking. I doubt Gatti or Ward would turn away from an advantage if it helped them win against each other.

11. Shadowdean

Exactly...I am not advocating going out and holding someone's family hostage or anything like that....well, not in most cases.

12. Event_Horizon

Event_Horizon Well-Known Member

If acting like an immature asshole is the only way to win, one does not deserve the win. The game is based on skills, not talking trash.

13. ONISTOMPA

Ok but isn't Sega sending ppl (especialy the innocent little kids) the wrong message based on your point of view : ''why I'm I so great'' ; ''It seems to me... I'm the winner'' ; ''You're way out of your league'' ; ''you're not a worthy opponent''...
    Sounds like some serious trash-talking to me.

14. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Event_Horizon said:

If acting like an immature asshole is the only way to win, one does not deserve the win. The game is based on skills, not talking trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Shadowdean's case when it comes to trash talking it's just part of his game and I appreciate it. And Event aren't you being a bit naive by saying that Evo is solely based on skillz dude? /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. MrUmenokouji

Good point. It started me thinking that I don't use characters whose taunts I can understand, Aoi, Shun (like to learn some Kage...) so there might be a connection. I do like Sarah's taunts (ver C) however...sexy. Trash, but sexy trash.

16. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Yeah... and in bad Engrish! /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

17. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

A trainable character who could be beefed up in frame speed, damage points inflicted/taken, etc would be a good just-for-fun feature like hyper action battle mode. I wouldn't want it to be part of the general gameplay. Maybe it's something you develop in quest type events, and just for kicks you can save your beefed up character to mem card and play against a similarly saved opponent's character.

18. ONISTOMPA

That's true and corny too.

But I like Sarah's lines though. She even talks trash during the fight.
    And hearing Lion say ''why am I so great'' after a hard fought victory is like icing on the cake. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

19. ONISTOMPA

Yes it would work if the 2 player mode stays intact with every movelist available. In the quest mode maybe you can start with half of your characters movelist and slow speed and little by little gain all your moves by mini challenges like in trial mode. In fact why not just merge quest with trial. Trial could be the dojo where you'd have to accomplish numerous combos, TE's, TR/QR's... in order to get certain items speed and experience points. The quest mode can remain the same where you can gain money, and also experience points. The moves would be gained by either winning mirror matches against a higher ranked character or by accomplishing challenges in the Dojo. When you get your character's full movelist and speed, he'll be exactly the same as the one in VS mode, therefore no cheap\overpowered factor. But you'll still have to continue the quest mode as usual in order to get all of your items, ranks... /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. Shadowdean

aww, you know I love you too, pookie /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif