1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

if you could buy a pantload of VF movies....

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by CreeD, Jul 5, 2002.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

what movies would you want, and how much would you pay?

I'm thinking of doing something like burning a bunch of VF movies (and/or information) to CD's and shipping these CD's out to people.

I once stupidly thought I could burn and send the entire VF archive to a bunch of people at cost. But it's just too big. I'm sorry to everyone I tricked into thinking they had any hope of getting the complete VFA.

Currently I have a few ideas floating around -

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1025858119CreeD">

VF movie packages
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />A 'best of all the VF4 moves' disc (or two discs). Something like my favorite 50 movies.
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />A best of disc for each character. How much footage will fit on one disc depends entirely on the character, and whether I feel like re-encoding stuff. Maybe 30-40 clips on one disc.
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />All the movies related to one particular famous player burnt onto CD. i.e. I could fit all my chibita stuff on 2 CD's. Kyasao on 1. Everyone else on 1.
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />Or, ... and this is tremendously unlikely... would anyone want ALL the movies of VF4 that currently exist? (I exaggerate slightly, I've missed a few) .. that's 22 CD's folks.

<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

And finally, what would you pay for whichever package you might want?
    It's 43 cents per CD. (I know this is a bit high, that's figuring the cost of having a bunch of them delivered straight to my door)
    I'd want at least 10 bucks per hour for my time and effort, and each CD is 6.5 minutes. I did some math and came up with 20 dollars for time and materials to send the complete package of 22 CD's. That's before shipping and handling. For a one-or-two disc package, I'd still want no less than 10 bucks. Call me a capitalist pig.

2. ono

ono Well-Known Member

I think out of all the choices, i would happily drop the $20 for the 22 cd's.

i cant believe each cd only only holds 6.5 min. But i guess im forgetting about the space on dvd's compared to them. It would be awesome if you had a dvd burner and could duplicate the movies on dvd. Im sure you could fit them all on one, right?

well anyway, i would pay the 20 for the collection

3. NewB_4_Life

NewB_4_Life Active Member

If yer gonna sell the whole 22 cd collection for $20 bucks, hell I'd buy the whole lot too. I guess come people who arent working would have to select a few of them, and at about 50cents per Cd, dude that's a steal - capitalist pig eh, yeah right, it's very reasonalbe. To the poster before me, the CDs more than 6.5 minutes more like 80 minutes, in the case of these cds its more like 1 1/2 hours maybe 2 , its the burning the CD that lasts 6.5 minutes.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies... yeah I meant 6.5 mins to burn each CD. How much footage is on the CD depends a lot on the movies on that CD.
    Using zepp tokyo clips as an example, I can fit 35 on one CD, and they last anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 minutes. Assume an average of 2 minutes and that's 70 minutes of footage per CD. More realistically matches seem to last a little under 2 minutes, so call it a nice even figure like 1 hour of footage per CD.

Now as for twenty bucks... I fucked up my math or explained it badly /versus/images/icons/frown.gif
    At 1 CD every 6.5 minutes, that's only 9 CD's per hour. So it'd take 2.5 hours give or take to burn the whole 22 disc set. At ten bucks an hour, that's 25 bucks before the cost of the CD's. The cost of the CD's is 43 cents x 22 CDs, that's 9.46 ... so now we're up to about 35 bucks BEFORE shipping and handling. The package of 22 CD's stacks into a pretty small package that weighs about a pound. USPS Priority mail starts at, I believe, 3.50 for stuff up to a pound.

So does anyone think they'd wanna pay 38.50 for the whole package of 22 CD's? Put it another way, that's 1.75 for each CD. 1.75 for an hour of VF4 footage. Worth it? Or is a 1 or 2 CD package sounding more attractive? If anyone replies, remember also to cast a vote in the original thread!

5. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Personally I'm not interested in any character except Sarah so I'd only want character specific clips. It's a nice idea though.

6. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

If I were going to "order" anything it would be the full 22 CDs worth, and I think a fair price (i.e. I probably wouldn't want to spend anymore than this) would be $50. The real question is... are the videos really worth even ordering in the first place? I'm still undecided on that at the moment.

cheers,
    kbcat

7. ono

ono Well-Known Member

CreeD, i still would chop up the $38 for the bundle. think about it, that is a major steal in the customers case. if you can fit an estimated 35 clips onto each cd, that totals to '770' clips of VF. Now that is definitely worth the $38 bucks, but i think a good idea would be to set the base price at $40, and then, since VFDC has many users that live outside the U.S, you could arrange shipping costs..(but im afraid that would cost an arm or a leg).

but yea, i would pay the 38-40 dollars for the crazy amount of clips.

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

you're the first person to throw out a number I was really hoping to hear /versus/images/icons/ooo.gif

Most of the time when people go to the time and effort of encoding a clip and putting it on the web, you'd assume it's something nice right?
    But a lot of them are not. The daioh clips are only 4 out of the 22 CD's, and they're mostly the best of the lot. There are some other groups of clips that are impressive, like the amact movies and the ones from AM2's site. But I could say with fairness that half the movies clips ... 10 or 11 CDs worth... are not gonna impress a skilled, jaded VFer.

That's probably why the concept of char. specific or 'best of' CDs seems to be the most popular vote, even though most of the discussion is about the whole 22 disc package.

9. ono

ono Well-Known Member

Well in that case creed, i might be interested in maybe a daioh cd combo? and a cd on one character. i think i would chip in $40 for that right there. It would be five cd's right (4 for daioh, and 1 for the specific character?)

well keep us updated if it goes through. im very interested, as im sure many other VFers are too.

-ono-

10. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Yep, I think a "best of" compilation CD would probably be a better value for people wanting to improve their VF4 game (as opposed to people who want a complete archive of all VF movies out there irrespective of play quality). There are a lot of not-so-good movies out there, and getting a 22-disc set, one would probably end up watching only some clips from each, anyway.

Personally, I have a fairly large archive of VF4 movies, but what I end up doing is taking all the movie clips from March 1 onwards (ver.C only) that feature Kage in it, then select the matches where the Kage player wins the match (or 2-3 matches if it's a 3v3 clip) and/or if it features Kyasao, Yoro, Edge or Chibita's Kage. So far, with this filtering process, my archive of *good* Kage clips comes out to around 650MB -- less than 10% of all movies... just enough to fit on one disc. (I'll probably end up doing the same for Lau as well -- Hakusyon, Vega, Baiagu, et al.)

Of course, once I get a DVD-RW drive, then it becomes a lot easier to fit mondo data onto a single DVD-R.

11. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

So how about a "Creed's selection" -- the remaining 11 - 12 CDs worth of footage for say $30-35 (a bit added for the frustration of selecting the 11 to 12 CDs worth). Sound like a good idea? Or make that 13 character specific CDs ($5 each or $35 for the set). Now were cooking with gas. I like that idea. What do you think Creed?

cheers,
    kbcat

12. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

or better yet, how about the few matches where chibita, kyasao, and other gods in vf lose??? the thing is i dont think theres much footage of them losing.... /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

13. Trashcan

Trashcan Member

There's one where Chibita losses to 9La on the PS2 Game Disc, actually /versus/images/icons/smirk.gif

14. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

I have an old clip of Chibita losing to an Akira player(don't know his name). I'm not sure but I think the clip is from version B. Anyways, the Akira players record was 4754/1500, 76% and Chibita's was 3678/331, 92% at that time.

15. Hamme

Hamme Well-Known Member

Hey, I know that one, it's mukky's akira. It's really good.
    People can d/l at Infomatrix or just wait to buy it from Creed.. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

16. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

smartass /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif
    The new url for that page is http://www.fde-jpn.net/vf/
    And if it wasn't clear, I've offered these clips forever at no charge on my ftp... the pay-for-CD's idea is just a convenience for others, as my FTP is slow.