1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

IGN steals Srider's movies without crediting source.

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by CreeD, Jun 6, 2003.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

We all knew IGN did this, but they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. I just noticed on this page:

IGN PS2 evo media

They're putting up MOV format conversions of Srider's captures of the tennessee crew... specifically flood's goh and woodman's shun. Look at the march 25th entries in the downloadable section. I knew something was wrong when I saw competent play... and seeing flood do 3 or 4 b,df+P's in a row triggered my memory.

These movies were originally posted here on VFDC in this thread: NAVF TN movies.

So the question is... is this illegal, and does anyone care? I mean, IGN doesn't outright say "this is some original content from us to you" but they do slap an IGN logo on a movie they didn't produce and didn't get permission to redistribute. If nothing else it's kinda sleazy.

2. Faded

Faded Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    CreeD said:
    but they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here

[/ QUOTE ]

That just comes out sounding so wrong /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

You'd think they could go hijack some chibita clips though or something like that.

3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

IGN is famous for bullshit like this. There was a time when I translated for a now dead Dreamcast site. I got almost all my news from one Japanese site, and always gave credit - they didn't. Eventually, it got TOTALLY fishy when I was posting the exact same articles a few hours prior to them.

They eventually starting giving credit. I could see the temptation though. Tons of info there for any shmo to read, as long as you could understand Japanese. Probably 10-15 tidbits daily that could easily be pawned off like you had connections in the industry.

4. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

srider should sue for something big !!

5. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Who do you recon provided IGN with the movies?

6. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

IGN /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif is in big trouble now!

7. Ragnafrak

Ragnafrak Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    empnova said:

lol these were there WAY before they were posted on this website, so someone must have given them to IGN directly. IGN did not steal them at all, and any accusation is false.

I remember having these movies well before they were up in VFDC .

[/ QUOTE ]
    damn i didn't know march 22nd was after march 25th...

8. EmpNovA

This will be GE's next post:

christ. grow up. Modifying a post doesn't change the past you moron.

GE

9. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

please re-instate the ban. he's proven himself worthy of it.

GE

10. EmpNovA

[ QUOTE ]
    GodEater said:

please re-instate the ban. he's proven himself worthy of it.

GE

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop please, I am asking nicely ok?

11. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

not to mention the march 25th movies are significantly bigger in file size compared to the rest.

that is definatley not ign standard for a simple match.

12. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

I said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Who do you recon provided IGN w/ the movies?

[/ QUOTE ]

empnova replied:
    [ QUOTE ]
    IGN /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif is in big trouble now!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. Have y'all ever heard the old expression "If you throw a brick in a pile of dogs, the one you hit's gonna holla"?

13. EmpNovA

[ QUOTE ]
    sanjuro said:

Who do you recon provided IGN with the movies?

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone contacted IGN yet, I don't think asking board members will accomplish much /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, but confronting IGN on the matter will though.

PS: Isn't IGN allowed to mirror or copy, any non copy written material, unless you somehow gave them permission orrights to the movies you posted (or some thing to that effect).

Another PS: MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU CONFRONT IGN , YOU BRING UP THE POINT THAT THEIR MEMBERS PAY FOR THE SUBSRICPTION SERVICE, SO THEY ARE PAYING (in part) FOR THE MOVIES THAT IGN TOOK, gee I wonder who the money should have gone to, if to no one at all even at that. IGN can make money off of the movies you made.............sad really.... /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

hey!...you ever heard the saying.." IGN is so fucking lame sometimes.."

Lots of other message board members on like GameFaqs, and some even some Gamespot and IGN.com board members have this exact quote as their signature.

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

re: is it illegal - currently the movies are NOT part of their paid service, as some have claimed. But nonetheless, it's illegal. They mirrored publicly posted material and implied it was their own by not crediting the source and by slapping an ign logo on the movie.

Think of it this way - a movie has an author just like a faq, and if they mirrored a faq and erased the name of the author, the offense would be much more obviously a lawsuit-waiting-to-happen.

15. EmpNovA

[ QUOTE ]
    CreeD said:

re: is it illegal - currently the movies are NOT part of their paid service, as some have claimed. But nonetheless, it's illegal. They mirrored publicly posted material and implied it was their own by not crediting the source and by slapping an ign logo on the movie.

Think of it this way - a movie has an author just like a faq, and if they mirrored a faq and erased the name of the author, the offense would be much more obviously a lawsuit-waiting-to-happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I forgot about the IGN logo they glass onto the videos, wtf were they thinking when they did this?

At the time of this edit, IGN.com is currently down for me, is that the same for anyone esle?

16. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

It's srider and flood's baby imo. Let them act upon it if they wish. I personally would be concerned and take action to at least have them give proper credit.

17. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

That's a good shot of you in your new avatar. It captures your cocoa-and-cream skin very well. /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

18. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    CreeD said:

We all knew IGN did this, but they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. I just noticed on this page:

IGN PS2 evo media

They're putting up MOV format conversions of Srider's captures of the tennessee crew... specifically flood's goh and woodman's shun. Look at the march 25th entries in the downloadable section. I knew something was wrong when I saw competent play... and seeing flood do 3 or 4 b,df+P's in a row triggered my memory.

These movies were originally posted here on VFDC in this thread: NAVF TN movies.

So the question is... is this illegal, and does anyone care? I mean, IGN doesn't outright say "this is some original content from us to you" but they do slap an IGN logo on a movie they didn't produce and didn't get permission to redistribute. If nothing else it's kinda sleazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys really ought to read the accompany article for the March 25th movies that was posted with the media itself. Seriously, you guys are getting worked up over nothing here.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/390/390760p1.html

Note where it says "from Virtua Fighter forum poster Srider"

Also, to answer the question on why IGN puts a logo on all of their movies, the logo is on the movie because the original file was a wma. All of the mov. file conversions automatically have the watermark on them. I know this because I've seen them create movies before while I was working for them at E3.

So there you go. Proper credit was given to the creator of the movie, and you now know why all of the movies have a logo on them.

19. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Reno to the Rescue!@!@

oops. Two clicks from the media page does indeed bring you the properly credited article. My bad.

20. Zakuta

Zakuta Well-Known Member

Re: Reno to the Rescue!@!@

...well, I think this gun has already been jumped. haha