1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

ill woman in Canada...

Discussion in 'General' started by Chanchai, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Well, I guess if we have a general board, might as well use it/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyways... I am curious about this... and well, the US media is preoccupied with the gunman at the White House right now...

Any further details on this woman who traveled from Africa, through New York, and to Canada? They're testing for the Ebola virus on her right now. Kinda scares me, but then again, the shock factor of "The Hot Zones" kind of makes me paranoid regarding Ebola (Much like when AIDs had initiaially been announced and people just freaked out over it). Gosh, it's been about what, 5 years since people talked heavily about Ebola?

Anyways, I'm kind of curious about the whole situation. Can any of you Toronto guys add detail?

-Chanchai

http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/02/07/ebola.canada/index.html

2. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

they still believe it is Ebola but they
    do not believe there is anything to get worked
    up about. But what else would you expect them
    to say.

GE

3. Chanchai

ai-ya.... scary imo. But yes, I guess that is what is to be expected....

I didn't hear about it until today, actually. And that was because I went along browsing/images/icons/tongue.gif

Ebola... That's definitely not a way I'd want to go...

4. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

addendum

and now they say it isn't Ebola (I have the news running in the
    background). shrug. Bit of a wake up call, I would say.

GE

5. Chanchai

Re: addendum

Let's hope it's true, and thank goodness if so!

You never know... at least the last few years saw progress in Ebola prevention and immunization.

It is rather sad regarding the incidences of the outbreak of Ebola...

-Chanchai

6. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Thought i'd drop the latest I heard on last night's news. Like GE said, it isn't Ebola. Blood samples were sent to Canada's viral testing centre in Winnipeg for further confimation and a second sample was sent to Atlanta for a second opinion. The Atlanta sample was held up at the US border for 24 hours because some twit didn't label something right. Winnipeg has made a match with some sort of Haemmorhagic Fever. No word from Atlanta just yet. The woman is currently in critical condition at McMaster University Hospital in Hamilton - about 30 minutes west of Toronto.

Sure as hell makes want to wear some sort of anti-viral suit on the subway in the morning...ecchhh.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

7. Chanchai

And can you believe that not too many US residents are aware of this incident at all? *Sigh* I shouldn't be surprised, I know...

Also, ebola or not... such infections are awful...

(OT Note: Yes, I am still kooked up in this lab still working on my project, approximately 12 pages done, probably 8-10 more to go!!!)

8. Page

Page Member

I'm pretty sure that is isn't ebola. Every news source here has confirmed that. I'm just worried about the fact that no one knows WHAT it is. Something new?
    Hope not. Maybe its just meningites(ughh... had that when i was younge, it sucks.)

9. Chanchai

Well, whatever it is, it's awful.

I think it is scary to think that the end of our species could come in the form of a microscopic virus (isn't that a cliche). I mean, we always think about man destroying man. Big natural forces. Other intelligent life forms. And then there's the virus, plagues, etc... And then how much potential the symbolism goes from there. Humans, earth, microscopic organisms, etc...

Oh well... it's been ranted to death around and what not.

I'm curious how many people around here even know what Ebola is. Bleeding through all orifices, organs turning to mush, the vomit and diarhea (which consists of things you wouldn't want to know about), the fact that it's contageous,etc... Such a horrible way to die, and yet for somewhere around less than two weeks you might not even be aware of it at all.