1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm back and I'm a Kage believer

Discussion in 'Kage' started by Franz, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Hello!

I've been away and playing very little VF for a few months, but I started to play with the idea of picking up Kage (I was originally a baaad Akira player and a burgeoning Pai player).

I didn't even bother with frame data, although I printed out the main combos. Before I knew I was Conqueror and with a ridiculous winning percentage.

The guy just can't lose. I always struggled a bit in Quest mode with Akira. I remember having difficulties with against specific AIs. I know I'm not the most skilled player when it comes to moves with complex inputs and I could never exploit Akira's potential to the full.

Still, Kage seems on another planet. He's got everything and more. I can't even Koenraku properly yet and the guy is a powerhouse already to the point that I could finally start to focus on my defensive game with TE and evasions.

At this point I have a few questions:

1 - After the Jumonji mid kick inashi I've found that the sliding kick + hit throw seems to connect (damage 83 if I'm not mistaken!). If somebody else could test it, we may have this to be added to the combo list?

2 - Are there distance limitations to the hit throw [bk] [k] +[g] [bk] [p]+[g]? Or as long as the kick hits, the throw can connect?

3 - I was in the Dojo and tried to [uf] [k] + [g] with the fastest timing after a Koenraku and the move seems to hit the opponent exactly when he/she lands. The damage of the move seems to add up to the damage of the drop for a total of 67. Note that I enabled the dojo opponent to have fall recovery. I was quite surprised to see the thing work with other characters too, even Jeffry. I tried to do the same with [f] [k] + [g] and, although the timing is not as obvious, it seemed to work to, with damage at 73 I think.

Still very surprised, I tried both these things in Quest mode and they didn't work as consistently. Sometimes Kage would miss the opponent completely, sometimes the damage seemed less or something.
    Is anyone else aware of these TFT followups? I don't think I'm the first one to bump into these...

also, why the heck the button/direction codes are not working?

2. RORY

RORY Well-Known Member

XBL:
    RORORORORORO
    Hey Franz

Welcome back!!

Sorry Im not really a Kage player so I cant help with your queries.

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Actually, I noticed that there are no combos listed for the mid kick inashi. Kage has a lot of options for (even better) damage I think. I'll try to get around listing them soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 - Are there distance limitations to the hit throw [bk] [k] +[g] [bk] [p]+[g]? Or as long as the kick hits, the throw can connect?</div></div>
    Yep. I think most, if not all, hit-throws have some limitation on the distance in that you can't followup if you connect from too far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 - I was in the Dojo and tried to [uf] [k] + [g] with the fastest timing after a Koenraku and the move seems to hit the opponent exactly when he/she lands. The damage of the move seems to add up to the damage of the drop for a total of 67. Note that I enabled the dojo opponent to have fall recovery. I was quite surprised to see the thing work with other characters too, even Jeffry. I tried to do the same with [f] [k] + [g] and, although the timing is not as obvious, it seemed to work to, with damage at 73 I think.

Still very surprised, I tried both these things in Quest mode and they didn't work as consistently. Sometimes Kage would miss the opponent completely, sometimes the damage seemed less or something.
    Is anyone else aware of these TFT followups? I don't think I'm the first one to bump into these...</div></div>
    You've stumbled on an old, and dirty, trick. This was (ab)used a lot in the early days of VF5 until it was found that you could exact recover to avoid all damage. Still, I guarantee you'll get a lot of mileage out of this today because either people are lazy and don't even attempt to recover, or, don't even know they can. If you have the Xbox 360 version, then set the CPU to exact recovery and you'll find these combos don't connect at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">also, why the heck the button/direction codes are not working?</div></div>The forum was upgraded since you've been gone. All command directions use numeric notation and buttons are uppercase only (e.g. [ 6 ][ K ][ + ][ G] gives you [6][K][+][G]). You'll find details of this in the last forum upgrade announcement in the Site Updates forum. You can also access the command graphics via the Smileys menu in the new post or full reply editor.

4. combo2008

combo2008 Well-Known Member

I havent played in a long time, but kage was my preferred character.

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Myke, thanks for the answers. I might have a look at those combos myself if you want.

6. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    We were talking about the advantage you get after that mid kick revarsal a while back on the shoutbox.

Jide reckoned you could to Kage's HCF [K]+[G] for a launch.

No idea if anyone tested it though.

7. Oioron

Oioron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

JMJ mid-kick reversal > [G] cancel out of stance >
    [2][3][6][K]+[G] > BT [P], [K][G] cancel > [P][P][4][P][K]

with a wall hit you can follow-up with [7]+[K] for 101 total damage. I think it does 94 without the wall hit and [7]+[K]. It's been awhile so I forget the specifics. You may not need to do the Kick cancel. You don't need to charge [2][3][6][K]+[G] to get the launch.

You can do roll to your opponents back (may not matter) then do the dragon punch combo for a very stylish and damaging combo.

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    IIRC the best damage option after Jumonji kick reversal:

[2][3][6][K][+][G] -> BT [P][K][G] -> [1][P][P][4][P][K]

and it also has RO potential against a half fence.

Anyway, have a read of this thread on page 2 of the kage forum: Jumonji Kick Reversal for more combos, and movie link.

9. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Might just be me but the movies are gone.