1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Im new to VF, please help on gameplay, greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'Akira' started by Condor, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

YES!!!! I've finally complete the SPoD on a pad (the first part that is /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif ). plwease help, i am so close to getting it. my only problem is the last part ([6]/[4][P]). can someone explain this to me. for example, if i am on the left side executing the SPoD, then i must input"[6][P]", and vice versa???is the last part ([6]/[4][P]) the hardest part to thsi command??? please, i need feedback!!! /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    the [4]/[6][P] means that you can input either one, so just input the one that's easiest for you. You only have a split second to input it, I usually go to the far [P] as it's easier to roll my thumb across the d pad than to let go and press it again, considering that you have a very small time frame.

I recommend going to Speed Settings and set it to Slow for all moves (not just throws or striking attacks). That should help you get a gist of the timing, enough so that you're aware of how fast you have to be at full speed. Good luck to you.

3. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ladon said:

the [4]/[6][P] means that you can input either one, so just input the one that's easiest for you. You only have a split second to input it, I usually go to the far [P] as it's easier to roll my thumb across the d pad than to let go and press it again, considering that you have a very small time frame.

I recommend going to Speed Settings and set it to Slow for all moves (not just throws or striking attacks). That should help you get a gist of the timing, enough so that you're aware of how fast you have to be at full speed. Good luck to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

so this is just like the [2_][6][P][P], in which for the SPoD to work i have to input either [4]/[6][P] as soon as [4][3][P]+[K] hits???

4. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

i watch a lot of akira videos (VF4 and 5), and whenever i see [3][P]+[K]connects and stagger the opponent, most of the time people follow that with [6][6][K][K]. but instead of [6][6][K][K], why dont people do [2][K]+[G][6][K][4][6][P]. in my opinion, [2][K]+[G][6][K][4][6][P] does more damage and more "guarentee" then [6][6][K][K]. ANd when i think about it, [6][6][K][K] is kind of useless if you replace it with [2][K]+[G][6][K][4][6][P] in a string of combo.

5. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

I think the string isn't guarenteed. Try it but set the AI to techroll. I might try it tonight if you don't get the chance /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [ QUOTE ]
    Condor said:

in my opinion, [2][K]+[G][6][K][4][6][P] does more damage and more "guarentee" then [6][6][K][K]

[/ QUOTE ]

[2][K]+[G][6][K][4][6][P] = 35 damage.

The [4][6][P] slam can be teched so the 12pt ground attack ([3][P]) afterward is not guaranteed. Also, the whole thing might be stance dependent (which means all three hits may not connect).

[6][6][K][K] = 45 damage.

It has easier execution and it's not stance dependent.

7. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Like Plague said AS3 can be techrolled at the end. In the case of using 66KK, you can get an extra down attack if your opp decides not to tech(an extra 12+45).

If they tech(in place get up), the situation here is pretty good for Akira as an immidiate 46P+K will beat anything and a KG throw will catch the opponent trying to fuzzy.

3P+K(counter), DLC actually is the best combo in terms of guaranteed damage(46), but the wake up after DLC isn't as favorable for Akira. However if you think you'd need that extra damage to kill, you should use DLC instead. 3P+K, DLC is one of those things that I find kinda funny because people hugely favor 66KK over this in spite of the damage merit. You just don't get to see people using it even in the case that 3P+K, DLC would probably kill the opponent.

Another case I can think of is Kage's 44K+G on counter. People largely favor 3K+G over 8P although in this case the difference is more than 1 point. The wake up game after 3K+G isn't that great as Kage recovers back turned here although he's got some options. Regardlss I don't believe the options he has is worth the damage difference in this case.

8. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

ok...sorry if i asked this queston twice. For tech rolling and quick recovery , am i suppose to press either [P]+[K]+[G] or [8]/[2][P]+[K]+[G] as soon as i hit the ground or the last hit that i received??? i went through the training mode in the "recovery" section and yet, i could not do quick recovery 3 in a roll. what is the frame for quick recovery since at times it looks like i can recover before the last hit (in a string of combo) hit me. but other times i think that i recovered just right after i fall on the ground. can someone with spare times explicitely explain the quick recovery concept to me. thanks in advance.

9. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Techrolling or in place recovery can be done just by just mashing on P+K+G or 8/2 P+K+G. In some cases where a move slams you to the ground, you need a precise timing for recovery so called "just frame tech".

Techrolling after getting hit by Akira's AS3(the one starts with 2K+G) requires the just frame tech.

10. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    maddy said:

Techrolling or in place recovery can be done just by just mashing on P+K+G or 8/2 P+K+G. In some cases where a move slams you to the ground, you need a precise timing for recovery so called "just frame tech".

Techrolling after getting hit by Akira's AS3(the one starts with 2K+G) requires the just frame tech.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, these properties of VF does not fit well with beginners. in games like tekken or soulcal you only need to pree "up" or "guard". in VF, a lot of noobs are having touble even after spend times in training mode. BTW, thanks for responding maddy

11. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

There is a trainning for exactly this on the game disk itself though...

Also if you want to see some combos for your character go:

Free Trainning -> Pause -> move list -> hit x -> select the opponent, foot position, hit, etc.. -> hit x -> select the launcher -> enjoy /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Careful when you select the launcher. Some only work on Major Counter, and others only when the 2nd hit hits on MC.

12. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

Heh, i finally able to do both the DLC "[3][K][G], [6][P], [4][6][6][P][K](i think thats what its called) and the stun palm of doom. here is what i observe about the DLC-the most important part is to input in [P]+[K] almost at the same time as inputing in the last direction ([6]). and as for the SPoD, getting the first part is important ([P][K][G], [4][3][P][G]). BTW, is it just me or does the DLC is harder to do than the SPoD?

13. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    I was doing the DLC months before I could pull off the SPoD. It probably just depends on who you are, and how you play. DLC was useful in combos, so I had a good reason to learn that quickly, whereas I wasn't too sure of the practical use of the Stun Palm of Doom, so I didn't care too much to practice. But nowadays I use the SPoD more often than the DLC...

Now if only I could master that damn knee ;o;

14. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

Landon, do u use a pad or stick and who is your main character? BTW, i use a pad to play VF. DLC is annoying to pull off., and i find it rather useless since i can substitue another easy-to-execute-combo for it. im having a lot of fun practicing the SPoD.

15. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    Ladon, actually. You're not the first to make this mistake, and I'm tempted to blame Lando Calrissian for it /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I use a pad, but I've been trying to get used to the stick. With some more practice I should be getting better, I just find twitching my thumb easier than twitching my wrist~

One of my best combos for a while was [3][3][P] > [2_][6][P]+[K] > DLC. Works on almost all the characters and does pretty nice damage. There was a nice bit of "ooh" and "aah" ing as well, which was pretty cool. Alas, those days are gone, as DLCs are no longer quite so rare or untouchable XD

In Free Training, I would set up the cpu to instant recover, and then would do a Stun Palm of Doom, run after them, and then do another that hit as soon as they started getting up. It got me used to doing it from both sides, which is pretty important if you want a reliable addition to your list of moves. What were those easy-to-execute combos you were talking about? And did you mean of shrm or off yoho?

My main is Shun. He's awesome. Once you've spent enough time with Akira, who do you think you're going to try next?

Edit:
    I just noticed, you know how you said that pressing the [6] and the [P]+[K] is the most important part of doing the DLC? Look at the first thing I posted at the beginning of this thread XD

16. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

"Ladon, actually. You're not the first to make this mistake, and I'm tempted to blame Lando Calrissian for it "

who the hell is he???
    for [3][3][P] > [Df][P]+[K] > DLC, how much damage does that do???

BTW, by practicing the DLC, it helps so much for the SPoD.
    before i try akira, i used jacky bryant. but during that time, i was clueless about this game. it wasnt until recently that i play VF seriously.

17. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    [ QUOTE ]
    Condor said:
    who the hell is he???

[/ QUOTE ]

Lando Calrissian is the former owner of the Millenium Falcon in Star Wars. He lost it to Han Solo in a bet.

[ QUOTE ]
    Condor said:
    for [3][3][P] > [Df][P]+[K] > DLC, how much damage does that do???

[/ QUOTE ]

74 on normal hit, 89 on counter hit. It works in both stances, on normal hit won't work on Jacky weight or higher, and on counter hit won't work on the Wolf or Jeffrey. The biggest problem with it is that you can't go for okizeme (pressuring the opponent as they're getting up from a techroll), but it's especially useful if you want your opponent to be moved back. And if they hit a wall, you can go for a down attack. It also looks super cool /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Condor said:
    BTW, by practicing the DLC, it helps so much for the SPoD.
    before i try akira, i used jacky bryant. but during that time, i was clueless about this game. it wasnt until recently that i play VF seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jacky's fun XD have you seen the videos of the tournament that took place in Washington DC not too long ago? The finals were with great Akira and Jacky players, if you haven't seen it, you really should check it out.

18. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

[ QUOTE ]
    Ladon said:
    Jacky's fun XD have you seen the videos of the tournament that took place in Washington DC not too long ago? The finals were with great Akira and Jacky players, if you haven't seen it, you really should check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

where i can see that video? ._.

19. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
  20. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent