1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Impressions on Akira gameplay

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Shang, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

After 1st weekend of vf4:
    Double Palm is sickly powerful from mid range.
    The priority and the range on the new stun palm is amazing, Low punchs, kage's raising dragon fist, jacky's various punchs all fall as the victims of stun palm.
    DLC and AS3 are easier to pull off after adjusting to game speed. Ignore the animation and input afap. be able to practice AS after KO is neat. More dial a combo from Akira.
    Knee is an excellent combo starter. Knee, p p, knee. Knee, p AS. ZzzZ..
    after f,b+pg, u|d+pk. fff+p seems unscapable (I'm probably dreaming). For a catch throw, it would seem fair I'd say.
    fff+p MC is painful.
    d/f+pkg,f+p looks damn cool!
    Akira is a Japanese Super Hero now!

Stuff to try, after blocking high raising kick, b+pkg > SPoD.

Other stuff:
    Jeff is very strong. can say nothing but 'ouch' after f+pk > low throw.
    Can't seem to get wolf's stunner after anything but MC b+kg.
    Wolf is able to reverse high raising kicks....
    And Akira Mid-reversals, What a show stopper! I'll let Andrew explain the details. ;)

2. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> Double Palm is sickly powerful from mid range.

/me grinds his teeth

> And Akira Mid-reversals, What a show stopper!

/me swallows the dust that was once his teeth, then breaks the joystick

3. Kamata

Kamata Member

A curious note, did you try doing the fake grasping mind-reverse bodycheck (f,b+P+Gd | u+P+K) by doing just an easy b+P+Gd | u+PK ??? It seems to me exactly the same move...do you know...well....d' ya?

Kamata

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Shang,
    Thanks for the post/impressions. Sounds like Boston had a great session over the week/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Akira was one of the most fun characters I've ever used in any game (at least after getting used to the timing in VF4). Definitely a Japanese Super Hero now. Dial-a-combo seems to sum it up nicely. He has more than one answer for everything and all of them are powerful.... SCARY!!! (but again, FUN AS HELL to play as).

Jeffry's powerful as heck imo. Might be just me, but in structured gameplay, he can just be so evil!!! And yet I seem like one of the only ones in Portland to have a hard time against a human Jeffry (I seem to be the only one saying I have a hard time against a certain Jeffry).

Kamata,
    hehehe... Kamata... Response eventually comes to those who post a question once and wait with patience.

We're a pretty reasonable bunch here (at least I think "we" are), but at the same time we do take measures to try to keep the flow of information and feedback on the positive by trying to reduce redundancy (in terms of common questions or even specific questions).

Eventually, I think someone will tell you the answer you seek within a couple days. I'm pretty sure that person will be Spotlite, but we shall see.

5. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

/Hmm....maybe he won't suspect a ....CCRRAASSHHH!!!!!!...........knee?

6. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Also great again this time around is MC body check, but when is it isn't. Deadly when cornered to a wall.

As Shang said reversals are pretty cool.............btw, how does your wrist feel? MMUUAHAHAAHA

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I`m convinced more than ever that Akira is the strongest (if not one of the strongest, along with Jacky) characters so far. That SDE is just too much; Akiras can practically build their offense around it. And SDE -> DJK is just too easy and damaging to do.

Jeffry`s definitely a contender, but he`s also considerably weakened from the test version. Some of his moves (like elbow) seem to have lengthened recovery time. Ah well, can`t have everything!

8. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

actually I think Jeffery is pretty good at least better than wolf.

Why?
    1) simple low attack, d+k+g with better followup b,f+k (hard to tech roll, I think), stomp. For Wolf's f,d+k, I can only pick up or maybe a b,f+p+k.
    2) BETTER float combos especially vs Light characters. The b,f+p+k does huge damage and guarantee a pickup. The b,d/f+p,p is also good and simple.
    3) The splash mountain does huge damage if you cannot evade the stomp.
    4) the surprise exchange is one of the best. I usually go for the b,f+p+k or b+p or throw. It is very deadly as both the attacks guarantee a pickup which increases the RO ability. Anyway, if I pickup near a wall and the opponnet staggers, what is guaranteed?? I CANNOT throw, sometimes even my P gets blocked/whiffed??? is knee guaranteed?
    5) has kazure down moves which Wolf does not have.

9. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

Not really. Wolf's combos do as much damage, if not more than Jeff's combos. GS has tremendous RO potential + big damage(pounce is guaranteed after a GS to wall) whereas splash mountain only does 70 pts of damage(if you struggle hard enough, the followup stomp is escapable).

At this point, I'd say that Wolf and Jeffrey are equally matched. Btw, where do you play VF nowadays? Havent seen you for quite some time now...

10. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

Kenka uppercut is guaranteed after a pickup near the wall.

Btw, how exactly do you use Akira's b+P+K+G?

11. alantan

I did not go bugis on Sat for quite a number of weeks but I went last Sat. There was NOT MANY regulars around. Managed to pick up Jeffery, lei economically :)

GS has not much damage if you tech roll but it is fantastic near the wall. The splash mountain stomp is pretty tough to escape. Okay, I guess Wolf has better throws but Jeff has better moves.

What can Wolf do after a knee?? I mean Jeffery has ULTRA simple combos which does lots of damage. The point is simple, easy to do, high damage, especiall the Jeffery's b,f+p+k which does more damage than similar Wolf moves like b+p or f+p+k (untechable moves). I mean a knee,b,f+p+k, pounce does like 30+35+25 damage... simple move for light-mid weights (MC).

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

?? I mean Jeffery has ULTRA simple combos which does lots of damage.

I was noticing as well that knee, low punch, f,f+P,P is a very strong bread'n'butter combo for Jeffry, and doesn't seem to need much of a counter hit.

Wolf however has knee, low punch, short shoulder, almost the same thing. Maybe a bit less damaging.

As for the best throws, that's still pretty tough to say.

13. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

I would think that Wolf has a slight edge in throws with GS (RO possibility) and his dodge catch throw which modifies itself into side and lot side throws throws as well, not to mention his other catch throws having huge range.

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey Alan, I didn`t compare Wolf to Jeffry, but to respond to your points:

- Wolf has easy and damaging combos!!! knee -> P -> b+P -> b,f+K+G can take off nearly half life. knee -> P -> P -> P,P,P will take off half life on MC.

- Wolf`s low punch cut is freaking good! Quick recovery, bends low and very good guaranteed damage if it connects.

- I actually think Jeffry has better throws. He has throws ending in every direction and has very good overall damage.

- You can`t beat Wolf`s b+K+G -> P+G hit throw. It`s very powerful.

Overall, I think long run they are roughly the same, but right now I`m giving the edge to Wolf, but that`s probably because I`ve played against a good Wolf (Hiro) and no good Jeffrys yet.

15. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Just wait until you do play a real good Jeff it's a nightmare.

16. alantan

I do not know but I think Jeffery has more damaging combos than knee,b,f+p+k,pounce. That does near half life. I mean I am being playing Jeffery for like err one day?? Can you tag in the u+k+g pounce after a b,f+p+k?

What is the low punch cut??? d/f+p+k?? That damage is not very good right as you can techroll. And the recovery not very good. Does Wolf have another Low Punch move????

I never use the b+k+g hit throw. Is it that good?? I mean the move is not very fast right and I read from the black book that if it connect at long range, it is hard to get the hit throw. I cannot really get the tiing for the hit throw so I seldom try. A MC low punch is faster, safer and more damaging. Okay maybe the opponent can break throw is he is really good.

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

One of Jeffry's best combos is knee -> K,K,P. The b,f+P+K combo I think only works for lightweights.

Wolf's low punch cut is his low punch reversal. Any good Wolf player should work on getting that hit throw down! It takes tons of life and works against an opponent's back.

18. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

My Jeffry is not bad. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

19. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

b+pkg, f+p vs. punchers. very damaging.

20. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

If you use b+P+K+G, it looks like you have to guess (or anticipate, whichever) when the opponent will throw out punches. I tried to interrupt a punch string with the inashi and it didn't work. So I'm not too sure Akira's inashi can interrupt a punch string like a reversal can. Akira's inashi seems to have a slower execution rate.

But like you posted, it is very damaging because of the setups it creates. F'r instance:

b+P+K+G, f+P-> f, f+K, K
    b+P+K+G, f+P-> SPoD
    b+P+K+G-> dash forward-> throw