1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Improving the VF scene in North America

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Darrius_Cole, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Re: Stylish and Dramatic

Nice topic, =)

My two cents

For someone to decide to play vf takes no effort. It's only once you've gotten passed the endless trials and tribulations of the gameplay before you gain the ability to become "competent" at virtuafighter. Movement, game knowledge, dedication, and available competition are all factors for anyone to fulfill there need to try and "master" this game. If you look at my four factors above.

Movement
    Game knowledge
    Dedication
    Available competition

Not many areas in the NAVF scene have the available competition to further your movement, game knowledge and dedication. All these components of gameplay are needed to maintain a high level of gratification.

For the NAVF scene to grow we'll need to introduce ppl to the depth of VF. And hope that that individual will sprout and pass the hobby on to another.

2. ries

ries Member

Gripe enough to get online play in vf5 on the ps3. That way everyone gets the best of both worlds flat rate and p2p competition. It would be even cooler to let you create a profile and use a headset like XBL to talk with the competition, exchange strats, create contest or whatever. DSL and above only.

3. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    The Dojo Chi-Quanshu just held
    their redemption 2005 fists of wushu
    tournament. It was a vf4 evolution tournament.
    It was held in Youngstown Ohio. It was the third
    annual tournament.

From what I understand their dojo will be accepting letters of challenge in 2006.

Out of the 16 fighters I saw, eight of them were awesome.

VF might be bigger in North America than is commonly thought.

4. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    masterpo said:

The Dojo Chi-Quanshu just held
    their redemption 2005 fists of wushu
    tournament. It was a vf4 evolution tournament.
    It was held in "Youngstown Ohio". It was the third
    annual tournament.

From what I understand their dojo will be accepting letters of challenge in 2006.

Out of the 16 fighters I saw, eight of them were awesome.

VF might be bigger in North America than is commonly thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you say Youngstown, Ohio? 16 players with 8 "awesome players", right? /versus/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Well, we've got about 6 players in Columbus, Ohio. We've been looking for players in Ohio forever.

If you guys are interested, we should definately get together to play some VF. If you guys are willing to make a trip over to Columbus, we should be able to host you guys. I am glad that you made the post. We look forward to hearing from you.

P.S. My name is Jimmy, and I play Akira. You can check out the Ohio thread under Jamboree. =)

5. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

16 players in a vf tourney, all from Ohio? 8 were "awesome"?

hmm.

6. nocturne

nocturne New Member

Re: The effect of heritage on game popularity

you really cant consider ufc anything close to real martial arts

theirs no honor all it is is fixed up free boxing with alot less rules

7. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Holy wrong thread batman.

Edit: Nevermind. I see what you're replying to.. pardon my absolute disdain for martial arts discussion as of late.

8. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

Ohio for the win, I think .........

9. PurpGuy

PurpGuy Well-Known Member

XBL:
    PurpGuy

pwn

10. Devilman

Devilman Member

[ QUOTE ]
    nocturne said:

you really cant consider ufc anything close to real martial arts

theirs no honor all it is is fixed up free boxing with alot less rules

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on what you call "real martial arts"...

The first purpose of MMA (which previously was NHB for "no holds barred" and more previously "Vale Tudo" = "anything goes" in Brazil) was to show which style was the most efficient in a situation as close as possible of a street fight...

You can say whatever you want, you can put any value that you want (honor, sportsmanship, beauty, singing birds and beautiful flowers) in martial arts, but their very first purpose is to kick the ass of your opponent the more efficiently as possible... nothing less, nothing more...

What are "real martial arts" ?

Do you mean those styles closed since centuries, beautiful to watch, but totally useless in a case of aggression, like 99% of the kung fu styles or Capoeira ? lol

You know, any master of a "multi-centuries style" would have spit at the face of Bruce Lee 40 years ago, but now, who was right ?

He claimed that you can't stick to your original style, you have to take the good from any style you may find to be able to face any possible situation, and 30 years after, MMA competitions proved he was right... there's no MMA fighter who trains only to his original martial art, they all cross-train and mix things up, boxing/kickboxing for the stand-up, wrestling for takedowns, jiu jitsu for submissions and ground-defence etc...

UCF, Pride, Vale Tudo and many other competitions proved that to be efficient, martial arts have to evolve with their time, in a real fight, or something as close of a real fight as MMA competitions can be, you'll never have a chance to survive only with the "beautiful shaolin kung fu of your ancestors which is true martial arts" lol

It's time to wake up, there are plenty of new "real" martial arts, in fact, now we call it more "self defence systems" because they're made with only one goal : to save your skin in the street, not to do flashy but useless moves... their names are Jeet Kune Do, Krav Maga, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu etc...

Sometimes I hear "true masters don't participate to those competitions", but hey, how can you pretend to be a "true master" when you probably never tested your skills in the street, or, in a MMA ring/cage ?

Who'll dare to say that guys like Bas Rutten or Royce Gracie aren't "true masters" ?

Those guys would kill any Capoeira, Tae Kwon Do, Karate or Kung Fu master in few seconds, they made it in the ring or the cage, where the (few, but still there) rules prevented them to use their most dangerous techniques, I don't want to imagine what would happen on the street where they can go "full power" lol

Martial arts aren't just a set of "flashy" moves with some philosophical blabla, their first goal is to save your life when you're in a critical situation, and a street fight is anything but "flashy" or philosohical...

And before talking about "no honor", just enter a ring or a cage, with the idea that you can be badly injuried, and maybe killed (hopefully, it never happened in MMA, unlike boxing competitions)... MMA fighters practice the most dangerous fighting sport you can imagine, you can't go there without pride, honor and courage...

11. happy_GOH_lucky

happy_GOH_lucky Active Member

i think you guys are missing the point about the tournament money and all that. Yes, it is nice if there are more tourneys on the way, but will taht convicne more people to play VF? NO!. From all the Feedback that i have gotten from tekken 5 and SoCal players (myself one of them), the reason why they prefer those game over VF is taht it is "easier" and "more assisible" than VF. People that i have talked to say that VF control is stiff, the gameplay isnt smoth, it is too technical, and such....AND THOSE ARE THE REASONS why more ppl play those series over VF. You guys can be bias and disrespectful all you want, but you have to admit one thing, games like tekken 5 and SoCal3 is fun, enjoyable and assessible to hardcore and CASUAL gamers. What turn ppl off about VF but turn them on about tekken and SoCal are those reasons. So what if SoCal3 is a messed up game. ppl still play it even long after it been released because it has enough depth to keep CASUAL gamers busy but not too "stiff control" that could turn them off. And its the same with tekken5, though tekken 5 has more depth and is not as messed up as SoCal3. Anyway, my point is taht , as much as i love VF as any of you guys, VF popularity will not replace games from Namco franchise in the long run, if at all in the US. you have to understand one thing, that the majority of people who play fighting game are just casual gamers, and casual gamers enjoy namco's series.
    There are games taht are under appreciated and underrated but are supperior to others games-such game is virtua fighter. And there are games that are just fun, and assesible to everyone: tekken and SoCal series.

I guess the one thing that sega can do to help its popularity is improve its presentation. i.e. graphics (do not slam me, but vf4 graphic fell to namco's game and DOA), CG introduction, scenery, and music. Sega should take some pointer from tecmo, bc DOA presentation is fucking awsome.

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Please stop comparing VF to Tekken. Nobody here cares.

13. happy_GOH_lucky

sorry...but you cant mention VF's popularity without mentioning tekken's popularity. Thats just the way it is!

14. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

stop beating a dead horse then blowing his fucking brains out.

The point is that certain people enjoy different games for different reasons respectively. And I'll have to admit that VFis fun and accesible to the people that love the game. I love VF, simple as that.

Fun and accesible is a relative term and thats all there is to it. I dont know what the point of this discussion is, and why you need to spread it out through multiple threads. Im pretty sure this was a NON Biased Opinion and NON disrespectful.

15. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

in america..... cause in japan.....

16. happy_GOH_lucky

17. MrSlants

MrSlants Well-Known Member

So, basically, happy goh lucky, you're saying that tekken and soul calibur players are too lazy to learn VF?

18. happy_GOH_lucky

Yes!, nor do they show any interest in it, except for me, i play all 3d fighting game.

19. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

so the point was . . . . . ?????

20. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

If there are more useless posts in this thread, it's getting closed. Go ahead and play around in generals if you want. Not you Phoenix, of course.