1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Info abt VF4 Ver C

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by SummAh, Jan 10, 2002.

1. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Guys...below are the info abt Ver C I translated from a cantonese website.

For tonight...I'll just mention a few tibits

Changes made to Akira
    Rejoice fellow pig haters...the powerhouse in VF4 is tonned down! Well Kinda

Overhead double palm and SDE can definitely be thrown when blocked!

DF P+K no longer promises a DJK opportunity even if it Mcs!

The distance of bodycheck has been increased.

Now, the best news...the silliest combo in the game-> overhead double palm->deep bodycheck damage has been adjusted!~ yippe!

Pai
    The news pai users are waiting for...she's POWERED UP! That's all u need to know! ( Dun ask me how..that's all I know too I repeat..DO NOT REPLY N ASK ME HOW SHE IS POWERED UP!)

Jacky
    Another hated pig! Tonned down as well
    According to the info, beatkunckle has been tonned down. Instead of slowing it down, Sega made beatkunckle unchain-able once blocked. This means the backfist can no longer come out n cover his ass!!!! ( I hope this ain't true...fucking they are forcing ppl to use nothing but elbow..elbow..elbow..how boring)

Backfist has much longer recovery. This is terrible news. This means much of Jacky's elbow backfist mind games will go down the drain.

Good news, Jacky has a new semi circular attack!

Vannessa
    New low throw in MT stance...in Ver C..she's prolly put on a few extra Kilos of fat...made heavier than pai and Aoi

Kage
    the ninja is back! With improved speedy standing p.
    New move that can lead him into Jumonji stance~
    New throw~
    Jumonji ppk hit will cause a KD ( on the site, it says this move will cause opponent to be 'DOWN'...I am interpreting this ' DOWN' as KD)

Updated info on Akira....despite the changes made to Akira...let me mention this just in case anyone point it out in further 'useless' post...Akira is not necessarily weaken...merely balanced. Omitting this info was an oversight on my part. OOPS~ hehe

More info coming tomorrow~

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

we dont need a version C. It is fine the way it is

3. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

1. Tough shit, version C's coming whether you want it or not. Sega thankfully doesn't know or want to know what you think.
    2. You clearly haven't been facing the right competition if you think Ver. C's a waste of time and unnecessary.
    3. You should be thankful Sega cares so much about balance. Shut the fuck up and let them do their jobs.

4. Hayai_JiJi

well that was a little harsh. So hey Creed how much have you played the game?

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

well that was a little harsh. So hey Creed how much have you played the game?

Enough to figure out that Akira was a pig. How many Shang-quality Akira players do you have in fucking Omaha, Nebraska (or wherever you're playing)?

6. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

Akira will never be balanced as long as his D,b,f+P, D,f+PK remain the same. D,f+pk > p > D,f+pk > D,b,f+p is just too much. If you aren't heavy you are just fucked. Why did Sega put DLC/AS3 in the game anyways?

7. Hayai_JiJi

I am not saying he is not really good I just do not think he is so good he derserves a revision. None but we have a couple decent Akira players and I see nothing nothing that derseves a revison IMO. Sure the doubgle palm and shoulder ram are a litte cheesy but again not good enoughthere is nothing you can do.

P.S. you wanna take down the hostility a notch. These are opinions jack ass.

8. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

No, CreeD's got a point there. I was messing with Akira over lunch yesterday and just the combo shang mentioned is WAY overpowered. Granted you need to actually be reliable in your buffered CDs (I'm working on it), but the couple of times I got that combo, it was just stupid. Screw the DLC, the mod-dblplm combos (and mod shoulder) are just too strong.

Honestly, if Rodney or Troy or I (maybe even that Tekken guy who plays Jacky) really got off our asses and solely concentrated on Akira, you'd really see how strong he is. Our hobbyist use of him hasn't really touched on how brutal he is. I've started to see it lately in my lunch practices and I can honestly say that I doubt there is another character that can compare in raw practical damage potential. Lau may be close, but for cryin out loud, Akira can do more damage in a single hit than most of Lau's combos. Seriously, I've finished rounds with akira landing only 2 DEs, a P,K and 1 deep bodycheck. Yes, on normal life settings still. (Evaded Kage's d/f+K+G and deep checked him for, and I swear I'm not exaggerating, about 2/3 of his bar) Surprised me so much I let go of the controls and almost lost the round before I recovered. It's almost exactly like playing VF2 again except he has better float tools now (*shudder*). At least there's no punch/reversal option select now.

9. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I used to think that Akira wasn't overpowered, but playing with some of the better Akira players towards the end of my vacation in Singapore, plus with the new slew of Daioh clips featuring Ohsu Akira, I've done a 180 on this matter. Probably the reason why you don't think Akira is overpowered is because you don't see Akira's that SDE and QCB+P into Dodge-CD all the time... if it hits, free delayed BC for mucho damage, if you miss, you can dodge any attack that the opponent can throw out, and do the shoulder ram combo or bodycheck for a lot of damage again.

When the first Daioh clips featuring Retired Kage came out, he seemed pretty impressive, right? Then watch Ohsu Akira vs Retired Kage in one of the later clips, and see Kage play a very tentative, "scared" game, because almost anything he does can be (and is) reversed or dodged for massive damage, and he can't really punish blocked shoulder rams either thanks to DTE.

Plus, think about it. Each VF4 machine in the US has what...? A regular crew of 5-20 players, max? What's the likelihood of there being an Akira playing at a high level? OTOH, there are thousands of VF4 players in Japan, so you can expect that, just through normal distribution curve, there are a lot of Emperor or 10th dan Akira's that play at a high level, and they're all doing pretty much the same abuse moves.

That being said, I always enjoy playing against Akira... Lei vs Akira and Kage vs Akira are (IMO) classic matchups that I love, even in ver.B. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

10. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

do you know when ver.C coming out in Japan and/or US???

11. Hayai_JiJi

Jason get good with him I need to see the monster unleashed:)

12. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Dunno abt the US...Dunno abt Asia
    But In Japan..prettu much sure it'll come out after Feb
    BTW, the ps2 Ver is gonna be Ver C as well.

13. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Goodbye SVGL hello VF4 parties at home! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

14. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

I think the people here are getting really harsh. This is ridiculous.

That guy just voice his opinon. I am in the same idea as him. As long as there are high dan players with every characters, it means the balance is fine.

I played vs the Akira player yesterday who trashed me a couple of weeks back, I am getting more than 50% wins with Vanessa. Yes that guy can do the shrm,p,shrm,double palm and yes I am playing a light character but it is not that bad. I think the combo takes around 50% which is around a Wolf's knee combo and it is MUCH harder to do. The shrm do not come out that fast so the point is DO not throw long chains. Use quick recovery moves which allow me to block the shrm even after Akira successfully dodges.

But he does not use reversal throw escape after his Shrm gets blocked.

Vanessa kkpp pounce does close to 50% to. The lightning elbow,f+p,p,k ground kick does around 35%. It is not that bad. It is the difference between 2 guesses and 3 guesses.

Anyway, I do not think that ver C is coming to Singapore. It wil be REALLY NICE to have another low throw for Vanessa MT.

15. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

You're not seeing the whole picture. Yes, Akira has the ShRm, and Wolf/Jeff have their knees, and other characters have their own similar lynchpin moves. But what else do they have beyond those moves? Not much. You can compare the knees to the ShRm and rationalize alllll dayyy loonng, but so fucking what? Get off the ShRm and look around at all the other moves he has! SDE; SgPm; DbPm; QCB+P; bodycheck; df+P+K; StPm, b,f+P+K etc etc etc. Each one has the potential to do easy, horrendous damage AND/OR is uncounterable or very difficult to counter. Aaaannnnd unlike other characters, he has reversals, which can make it even harder for the majority of characters to punish Akira. Add all that up and you have a goddamn whopper of a character. Really, can you name one single move of Akira's that is useless, any one move that isn't incredibly useful, or does not have super nasty potential? Save maybe for his b,f+P+K+G and maybe his b,df+P, I can't think of one single move. Oh, maybe his FS,f+P elbow. Ththhtpppt.

Akira is a fucking overpowered pig, and anyone who argues otherwise is fooling themselves, ESPECIALLY with the sorry-ass, tired argument that "well if everyone gets to a super high level of play, then the character doesn't matter; Akira is perfectly fair, just has more tools (or is easier to play)." That is pure, unmitigated BULLSHIT; it's nothing but ignorant denial.

16. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Usually when you see the words "overpowered," "pig," "powerhouse" associated with a character, you tend to think of a character that is clearly at the top of his tier, the kind of character that you just have to play if you want to win tournaments. Characters like SSF2 Akuma, Tekken 2 Heihachi, KOF99 Evil Iori/Leona, X-Men COTA Wolverine, any character with infinites, etc.

I don't think you can put VF4b Akira in that category.

Anyone who thinks otherwise...

17. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Really, can you name one single move of Akira's that is useless, any one move that isn't incredibly useful, or does not have super nasty potential? Save maybe for his b,f+P+K+G and maybe his b,df+P, I can't think of one single move. Oh, maybe his FS,f+P elbow. Ththhtpppt.

I just have to say that Robbie uses akira's f+P elbow a lot with great success. It's a very fast and usesful move while "in-fighting". So, by your reckoning, that leaves Akira with only two moves that aren't "the best". I wish the same could be said about Aoi, or Lion (lots of safe moves with big damage potential).

kbcat

18. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

tiny bit of update today...I got bricks thrown into my face n phone slammed down on my ears today..not in the best mood to bother translating VF info

Anyway
    Regarding changes to Jacky's beatkunckleThere's a chance the info could be wrong though!
    When I first read the info, the poster added this comment
    "unchainable when blocked..just like 3tb YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!"

AHA!

What that particular HK player did not know was that BK was still chainable in 3tb even if blocked!~ It's simply an issue of timing.

Best yet, the person who provided this particular info never played VF3 ( I cannot remember if he never played..or just didn't excel in it An very damn good player now in VF4...anyway..he's one of the players that went to Japan n was featured in Famitsu interview)

Thus, this particular change to Jacky's beatknuckle could be very wrong.

Or it could be very right...
    take it whichever way u wish

I'm gonna go off into my corner now n start thinking of ways to unpiss my better half.

19. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

sigh...

Wolf has his throws which deals close to half blood to. oh and wolf have a Low punch too.. and a high punch and b,f+p+k is very good too.

Don't you get it? You do not NEED 20 GOOD moves to win?? you need only perhaps 4 or 5 moves to win. It is all yomi. There is only THAT many things (in a nutshell) the opponent can do.

1) dodge
    2) attack fast
    3) attack slow (evade/sabaki capabilities)
    4) throw
    5) block

If you analyze properly, Wolf has similar or higher damage potential. Especially if it is a Wolf vs Akira matchup. Wolf has his HCB throw to punish high block. What can Akira do?? For interrupt, I think a Knee/LP throw on Akira has similar damage potential as Akira's Shrm and it is MUCH easier to do. To punish blocked low moves, Wolf has his LOW throw pounce, what does Akira have??? Seriously, it is about yomi, Wolf on a correct guess can deal as much damage as Akira. The only advantage Akira has is his reversals but Wolf can dodge so it is not that bad.

There is REALLY no point for getting so many moves. If you see the movies of good players, you WILL find that most of them have tuned their play such that not many moves are used cuz they have found out the BEST reply to whatever they THINK the opponent is going to do.

BTW, most of the Akira moves that do "horrendous" damage are throw counterable.

As to his reversals, dodging is almost as good if not better in some situations. I haven't met an Akira who cam do reversals DTEG, so I can throw on reflex (sometimes) when I see a missed reversal. If the Akira can do reversals and TE then guards, he is just better than me cuz I do not think it is easy to do it consistently.

Maybe you are getting your ass trashed by some Akira but it is time to spend more time thinking how to win rather than harping on how overpowered he is.

20. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> If you analyze properly

If if if if if...

IF I had tits, I'd never leave the shower. You can make up as many of the hypotheticals and bad rationalizations as you'd like, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING you can say will ever take away the fact that Akira has brilliant moves, one for every situation. Name any "if" you want, and Akira has the move to deal with it.

> Don't you get it? You do not NEED 20 GOOD moves to win??

Yeah, so? What the fuck dude! How is that supposed to derail my argument??! How the fuck does that make him any less potent? You may not need them, but like I said, when you have a character with so many good moves for so many situations, what do you have? A pig.

> Wolf has his HCB throw to punish high block. What can Akira do??

Oh, I dunno, maybe ESCAPE THE FUCKING THROW?!@??@ Wow! "Lookee maw! He done gone escaped my arm-twirl!!" WTF, dude.

> Wolf has his LOW throw pounce what does Akira have???

Gee, I dunno, maybe use any of his mid attacks? Fuckin' duh. Check the mC list. The vast majority of the moves that can be low thrown can be ShRm'ed for even more damage - and more importantly, can't be avoided. The quicker moves that Wolf can low throw where Akira can't, Akira can use Sg/DbPm, DE or SDE. At the very least, he's got his d+P. The advantage Wolf has over Akira by having a low throw is very small and applies to very few moves and situations.

> most of the Akira moves that do "horrendous" damage are throw counterable.

So are almost all of the other lynchpin moves you would compare. And most of Akira's are _only_ throw counterable, which is utter crap.