1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

International VF Tournament/Circuit

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Blessy, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Blessy

Blessy Moderator / -10 is just Nitaku Staff Member Content Manager Goh Bronze Supporter Content Manager Aoi Tournament Manager

Yoyo, some of you might have seen me posting on twitter/discord about this. Been working with AdamYuki, Tricky and MisterVF to try and put together an international tournament post-covid.
    The plan is to use tournament circuits to identify the top 8 for each region while also using the tournaments to raise money for flights. I'm starting the EU rankings in the new year and would like to get NA and AUS TO's involved too. So if you are organising events please hmu.
    I've also spoke to Tetsuko Yamada and she said she also wants to get involved.
    If people want to get involved or have ideas on how we can raise funds or organise this event please post on this thread or drop me a message init.
    I figured getting started now would mean we'd be able to raise funds/interest in time for post-covid. We're still trying to figure out where to host this tournament, I'd like to host it in the UK/Europe if possible, we're probably the smallest region (maybe Aus too) so funding flights for players to go outside of the EU may be difficult for us, but nothing is set in stone.

Let's see what ya'll have got

VFhayato, JED-VF3 and Dennis0201 like this.
  2. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I like this idea, and think that we've got the capacity to track or filter by region which should make things easy.

We're definitely looking to do offline tournaments in Australia in 2021 if things go well. We've had a set back lately, but I really do hope it's temporary to our recovery. I don't have any desire to run online tournaments, but if someone else in Aus wants to do so I'll help and support them any way I can.

As for this;
    I've always been a big proponent of teaming up with existing events for the best results. I personally think we should aim to do the 'international' leg at one or a few majors where people are likely to travel for it anyway, or at least provide some more incentive for travel.

I'd encourage VF to attend these majors anyway, so it might be possible to do at least one designated bigger VF tournament at one in each continent?
    Maybe Evo for USA, OHN for Aus, and Sakura Fest for EU?

3. Blessy

Blessy Moderator / -10 is just Nitaku Staff Member Content Manager Goh Bronze Supporter Content Manager Aoi Tournament Manager

I've been speaking to some of the NA TO's who've said they like the idea of a tournament series, so 4 tournaments over the year as qualifiers for the main event, means we can still have out online monthlies and it will hopefully get some of the people who don't play online involved, as a lot of them are top level.

I have no problem with doing it as part of other events, not sure how easy it'd be to do multiple events as travelling for multiple events might be out the question financially for some people init

4. Blessy

Having the top 8 from each region in one place would leave us with a 32 person tournament which would be dope.

5. Blitzball Champ

Blitzball Champ Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Blitzball_Champ
    XBL:
    Blitzball Champ
    So I am curious, just a rough estimate, how many total regions of support are we talking bout?

6. Blessy

Probably 4? NA/EU/JPN/AUS. I'm not sure I know many SA players, but if they wanted to get involved I'd be down. With all 4 regions would be a 32 man tournament, best from each region.

Blitzball Champ and MadeManG74 like this.
  7. Blitzball Champ

Blitzball Champ Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Blitzball_Champ
    XBL:
    Blitzball Champ
    Ohhh ok. Very cool. I like what ya got there.