1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Interrupt Throws

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by MrWhite, Dec 27, 2001.

1. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Strikes have been a regular part of a winning arsenal at any level of play whereas throws have become increasingly difficult to regularly implement as your opponent's gameplay gets deeper. I play in an environment where 75% of the throws are TE'd and 1 in 3 rounds is T.O.'d. People cover their asses well, rev. regularly and use massive damage combos when you make a mistake. Throws taking up alot of clock time to execute + TE, people tend to shy from relying on them to win a match. There is however an "offensive" breed of grab which interrupts the opponent mid-attack.

Example of attacks that can be "interrupt thrown" :

- Shun's dodge cartwheel can be high thrown
    - Kage's helix, kick can be high thrown mid-kick
    - Wolf's dodge throw can be low-thrown

I was wondering what other attacks could be "IT"ed and if they are specific to certain moves. Also what the system and parameters are for "IT"s (i.e. can they be applied on any attack as long as you fit within a certain frame rate or timing on pre-set attacks only?).

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

What a wonderful idea for thread. Where ever did you come up with it:)

3. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

/me wonders why the bodycheck isn't in there :)

4. MrWhite

Well thats what I'm asking robyrt, which moves are IT ? And why...
    Apparently, any dodge move can technically be thrown. Confirm anyone? Though that doesnt limit IT to dodges and the perfect example is Kage's helix, kick.
    Can Aki's BC be IT'd?!? How do you do it?

5. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Akira's body check has always been the exception to the rule that a throw can not interrupt an attack during the attack's execution phase. This goes all the way back to VF1 I think. There's really no trick to it, you just enter in the throw before the body check reaches its collision/contact phase.

With Kage's helix-kick, are you saying that you can throw Kage between the helix and the kick? Is this true if Kage does not delay between the 2 parts of the combo? I've seen in VF3 where I've delayed a combo like Jacky's elbow-heelkick and been thrown before the heelkick came out, but I don't think Jacky could be thrown if the combo is not delayed. I haven't focused on delaying combos in VF4 as much as I should have been. Sarah's chop-kick acts strangely when the kick is delayed, but I'll need some more investigation to be sure about what's going on... aah, it's a high-high attack anyway, not much use other than getting into flamingo stance =)

I mentioned in another thread that Sarah can be thrown out of the moonsault and also out her flamingo backflip. Sarah starts to back flip and then is warped back into the arms of the throwing character... very annoying, but it's consistent with the idea that you are vulnerable to throws while dodging... I guess... :meh:

6. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Akira can't be thrown out of his normal bodycheck as of VF3tb. In tb he can be thrown out of the DLC bodycheck; I don't know if it's the same in VF4.

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Do I remember hearing that the bodycheck was no longer throwable during exe as of VF3 TB? Or was that a crackpipe dream?

Other moves that were throwable during exe: dodging punches (pai and jerky's, maybe sarah's) ... and uhhh, I think that's it.

8. MrWhite

Havent done a delayed version on Kage's helix, kick yet, so I have to test that. The throw interrupt is applied as the kick is coming out : you briefly see muffled frames after the helix and then Kage gets sucked into the opponents arms. The timing on a helix, kick IT is rough..didnt get much of a chance to practice it today, I played against 1 guy using Kage.
    I'll check the DLC bodycheck aswell.
    As for delayed moves, Lau is perfect example of your Jacky VF3 story, he is vulnerable to ITs aswell in his canned combos if they're delayed. But I dont get the chance to play slow Laus very often /versus/images/icons/smile.gif. I usually get punished with speedy floats for trying to throw.

9. Mr. Bungle

I don't buy that all throws can certain beat moves (I'm not even sure about those Akira throws which supposedly MC moves). I think people are just seeing people getting thrown IMMEDIATELY after a whiffed move, where the throw overrides the recovery animation. This happens in any VF game in the series.

10. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

Actually I think quite a lot of moves can be interrupt thrown but just that people do not tend to do it yet.

I think the Lion's f,f+p and f+p,p can both be interrupted thrown

I think Vanessa (MT) k (standing knee) can be IT too. I think it is applicable usually for slow moves. Probably now moves have a window in the beginning where they can be thrown. For fast moves like elbow probably that window is very small. just my feeling.

11. Mr. Bungle

Someone needs to sacrifice 50-75c and test this stuff...

12. MrWhite

/versus/images/icons/laugh.gif See Bungle, I didnt want to bring up that ghetto verification technique, but I guess there isnt much choice. Didnt play yesterday, I got a migraine /versus/images/icons/frown.gif.

13. MrWhite

Got to play yesterday and try out things :

- Kage's catapult kick can be IT mid-flight by Vanessa's running tackle/takedown (painful to watch as it happened a few times)
    - Akira's Low kick | A distanced low-throw command will suck someone doing a low kick in (works 50/50 at best though)

Also, for dodging attacks -> general rule for IT is to be at a non-striking distance from the attack and throw the attacker mid-move. Doesnt work if you block first, any grab will be a mC from then on.

p.s. Wolf's screw shot might be g-cancellable...

14. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

Ways to break a throw 1. Smash Buttons, 2. heres ways to break it Sarah- Kickflip, Pai- Backhandspring kick, Lau- same as Pai, Aoi- low kick (don't know name, it makes a WH00SH soud) , Jacky- Kickflip, I am to lazy to write the rest Roo-Poo. Oh well........ I still say smash buttons!!!!!!!!!

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hmm, do we have to call this thing "IT"? Dunno about the rest of you guys, but to me, IT has become too strongly associated with Information Technology...seems kinda weird to see it as VF jargon.

Anyway, to add to this thread, this was by accident, but Lion's f,f+P can be thrown in the middle of its animation. I think you have to be fairly close though.

16. Mr. Bungle

No worse than your "eight/parallel" stance bullshit, the BKC, M/LKD, and your classic "DP" for low punches.

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Eight/parallel I got from Japanese literature.

BKC is just as valid as DLC, TKOD, SPOD, shrm, and whatever else. There are plenty of weird nick names out there.

Uhhh, actually, I use "LP" for low punches.

Hey Rich, it's nice to see you back again, flaming over semantics. Nothing better to do eh?

18. Mr. Bungle

> Eight/parallel I got from Japanese literature.

Which doesn't make it any less unintelligable and confusing. You're the only jackass here who uses it. O so special, you.

> Uhhh, actually, I use "LP" for low punches.

You've used DP, too (along with "downpunch" and "downkick" - another classic). Don't make me find the posts, freak.

> flaming over semantics

...you're the asshole who thinks his obscure, arcane terms are suddenly better than the one that have been used for years.

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It's the same things over and over--you just can't let go, can you Rich? Anyway, there's not much for me to say here, except the last time I used "down punch" and "DP" was in reply to another person's post (can't remember who) who used those terms in his post. I thought it was the right thing to do.

Don't make me find the posts, freak.

Do whatever you want, if it'll improve the quality of your life.

20. MrWhite

"IT" | "EPT" ?!?

Well regardless of origin ( GLC actually came up with "interrupt throw" ), whatever works is fine by me. Is there any japanese official term for IT, or something referred to, in the black book or some other reference?
    We can always start reaching with something like Execution Phase Throw /versus/images/icons/smile.gif (EPT)?