1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Interview with BAS

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Mar 22, 2013.

By Myke on Mar 22, 2013 at 4:21 AM
  1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Ryo "BAS" Yoshida is world renowned for his past success in Capcom vs SNK 2, and other 2D fighting game titles. Recently, Ryan Hart conducted an interview with BAS in which he shares some very open, and honest opinions on the current state of (2D) fighting games, particularly the latest version of Street Fighter 4. What does this have to do with Virtua Fighter, you ask? Read on and find out!

The issues BAS has with the current state of 2D fighters, particularly SF4, are thoroughly revealed in the interview. But, and maybe this is just me, I couldn't help but think that most of the things he disliked about the SF4 system is a non-issue in the VF series. No ambiguity? Check. No unblockables? Check. Balanced (enough?) risk versus reward? Check. Reward for correct reads? Check.

Note: this is not posted to "bash" the SF4 series, or any other 2D fighting game. The intent was to focus in on aspects of a fighting system, and draw attention to the elements that appeal to a player.

Anyway, in reading the interview, it just made me reflect on why I enjoy VF, and still do after so many years. But I also thought that BAS had some really great advice to offer players wishing to improve their game, equally applicable to VF, and I've quoted the excerpt below:

Great advice, eh?

Credit to Ryan Hart and LowLandLions for the interview.
    Source: http://www.lowlandlions.com/2011/content/News/WWMCZRyan_Hart_praat_met_Ryo_BAS_Yoshida-4328.html

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by Myke, Mar 22, 2013.