1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Is 3PP a useless move?

Discussion in 'Brad' started by deathsushi, Mar 11, 2008.

1. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

Whenever I play Brad, I find myself instinctively spamming this move: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif . Is this a bad habit? The move is fairly bad on whiff and guard, but seems to do me right surprisingly often.

However, I never see this listed in any preferred move lists, and never hear mention of it. Is this a bad habit that I just need to train out? The other option is to hit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif , and go from there, but I find that this string takes slightly longer for me to pull out. Is it just a matter of training myself to buffer better?

Any expert help would be greatly appreciated.

--Adam

2. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    Of course it is a problem if you do it too often but overall it is a nice move. Especially when the second hit is CH. You could time it that only the second /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif hits.
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is also used in a black book combo and makes nice damage.
    To get rid of this habit try to spice up your gameplay with moves like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

Hope this will help you.

3. deathsushi

Yo,

Thanks for the advice. Part of the trouble of using /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif as a mix up is that I don't find them applicable in the same situations - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is used from a standing position, while the Sobral kick is used from a ducking position (unless there's something I'm missing?).

--Deathsushi

4. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    You could buffer the command by doing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. Some actually prefer to do it like this /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

The trick is by inputing a crouch dash first then finish the motion as if you were ducking; once you go into a croush dash you automatically enter a crouch state.

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    deathsushi, spamming anything is a bad idea, period! But having said that, if your opponent lets you get away with it, keep spamming it I guess!

The reason you probably don't see this move rated so highly is because, in my opinion, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is a much better poke tool:

<ul>[*]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif executes 1f faster at 14f compared to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif at 15f[*]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif guarantees a knockdown after crouch or counter hit, but /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif only guarantees a normal hit[*]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is more versatile with ducking/slipping options, whereas /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif has none[*]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif can be performed from crouch, whereas /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif cannot (without buffering a standing dash)[/list]

The biggest reward from /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is to bait a CH on the second hit. This gives you a slam and you can then combo. Depending on your opponent though, getting a CH on the second may be highly variable, and since it hits high, it has a lot of risk should they duck it.

Regarding /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, this executes slower still, at 17f. But when you say it takes slightly longer for you to pull out, I'm not sure what you really mean. The attack is slower, and hence likely to be interrupted more than a faster attack (like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif) would. But, if you think you have input issues, then repetition practice is what you need -- exercise that double-tap muscle!

6. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

It's all true about how useless /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is when compared to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif but I've found a somewhat limited use for it.
    An opponent that is really good at fighting Brad (or just really good, period) will duck after Brad does /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif in expectance of the followup /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, once that whiffs high expect Brad to be punished BUT if you use it to play mindgames, such as:
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (watch what they do after those two attacks connect, if they stand 0frame throw, if they crouch again, do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif.
    This is just an example of the mind games that you can play with this move, you could do just one /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and go from there or do three in a row (trust me, against an opponent who keeps expecting the followup high elbow, it will work but you have to mix it up).

But yeah, it's almost useless. On block /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (-4) is better than /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (-6) but on hit it's (-2) (wtf/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif) it's only worth a damn on counter hit but you might as well go for other faster, more rewarding attacks.

There IS a perfect time to use it though: when you block a low attack that leaves your opponent at -15.
    Even on minor counter (when they are recovering from an attack) both /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif will combo and leave you at +1 /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Why not just do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif you ask? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif does 1pt more damage.

You have to ask yourself if towards the end of the round when your opponent's got a little bit of health, would you risk not going for that 1pt more of damage?

Keep in mind that as your opponent adapts to your offense you have to adapt to their defense.

7. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Actually, no /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif If you try to perform /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif from crouch, you'll get his upper /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif instead. As I previously mentioned, the only way to do this move from crouch is to buffer a standing dash (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif), but you risk wasting frames that way. You're so much better off just doing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif at -15 after guarding a low, or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif into a Slipping crumple attack if they're slow to struggle.

I'll just finish off by saying that while I don't think this move is terribly useful, I do notice that beginner Brad players love to use this move a lot though. When it comes to spamming a Mid-High string, beginners will get a lot more mileage out of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif than with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, because the recovery on the former is so much less (-6 vs -18).

One benefit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif has is that the first attack looks similar to some other mid punch attacks like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. Each have different delay timings and followups. And for opponents not familiar in fighting against Brad, the more tools you have at your disposal that cause confusion, the better.

Now if /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif caused a wall stagger on hit, then we'd have a different ball game on our hands! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Unfortunately, since it only does 20pts damage, it only produces the less rewarding wall hit.

8. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    FUNK! I never knew that you can buffer a forward dash to react faster from a crouch, argh.

9. deathsushi

Wicked guys, again, the advice doesn't dissapoint! Thanks a lot for the detailed breakdown. Seeing the benefits of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif really helps make it clear. Back to the dojo again.

|
    +--Deathsushi

10. tonyfamilia

Damn it, Myke! You're right, yet again! I hate it when that happens /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
    Lol /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Nah, thanks for pointing that out, didn't have the game with me when I wrote that, I was playing Theory Fighter in my head and forgot to account for the crouching, 'doh!
    XD

11. Low_Sweep

Low_Sweep Well-Known Member

3p has its uses if you condition your opponent to think you won't do the follow up and have them abare wit a high or mid. Most people that know whats coming will duck or use 2p. If you can predict a 2p then you can use something appropriate. (DM comes to mind) If they abare it causes them to hit the ground for a combo. Also you can follow this up with brads phasing turn should they tech roll. Also if they don't tech roll and you do the phasing turn make wure you do phasing turn p+k into another phasing turn p+k in case they decide to kick so you can get a free back turn combo.

12. tonyfamilia

Good stuff, Low Sweep, can't wait to see/play your new and improved Brad /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DeathSushi, it's also useful in one of Brad's most powerful combos: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (counter hit for midweights/regular hit for lightweights) or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif -> /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif

13. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    Oh yeah, the nice blackbook combo.

14. Myke

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Jemun, it would be appreciate if you could refrain from posting every thought that comes to your head. You're not actually contributing anything here. We don't want threads turning into a conversation transcript.

Thanks.

15. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Against Eileen, and maybe other lightweights, you can use:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif.

If I remember correctly, there are two conditions. You need to be in the closed foot position and the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif must connect on counter hit at long range. It's the highest damage Rising Upper combo that I know of.