1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Is anbody in SOCAL alive?

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Brisal73, Jul 28, 2003.

1. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

Re: SoCal VF4:FT on Wednesdays

theres a player named sean that lives in the oxnard area, let me know if you're interested in playing him

2. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

so are all the big VF actions only take place in SoCal? if so, who would you guys say is the "best" player in SoCal?

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    SoCal VF4:FT on Wednesdays

Best player in SoCal is hard to say... depends what day it is, who's been practicing the most recently, and a bunch of other variables.

We all compete against eachother regularly. Everyone's skill goes up at pretty much the same rate. If I'm having a shitty day and I go play at AI, I'll probably lose 'cause I'm not watching what's going on. If I'm having a great day and I go play at AI, I'll probably STILL lose ('cause I'm not watching what's going on). If I'm having a good day AND I'm watching what's going on, AND my opponents are having shitty days and not paying attention... well... I might get a win streak.

To name names regarding who I think is best, my candidates are (alphabetical order):

akiralove
    andy
    Catherine
    DRE
    GoatCheeseBlues
    GY_beta (Joey)
    PhoenixDth

4. Condor

Condor Well-Known Member

again, back to my first question, are most of the big VF gatehrings/events only take place in SoCal because there are more VF players there?

5. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Condor said:

again, back to my first question, are most of the big VF gatehrings/events only take place in SoCal because there are more VF players there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the 1st main gathering was the EVO 2k Tournaments that used to be held in Socal/CalPoly to be exact.

Then the Devolucion Tourney brought more people in from around the country, which in all honestly was not even planned.

New York seems to be second to Socal in amount of players, but from my own observation NY tends to take VF more seriously compared to Socal. Ny is very competitive where Socal is just happy to play with a group of people. (notice both places have had Final Tuned for a while)

Maybe the question would be best answered from someone not from Socal.

6. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Condor said:

[/ QUOTE ]

The big events take place in SO-CAL and NYC for the simple fact that there is the most players in both places in all of North America at this time. Other states do host tournies/gatherings and some of the time alot of players attend others don't at other times do to priorities etc. I would be safe to say if every vfer here had the means and time they would be traveling all over the world to play, but that's a dream for most. To answer your question on who is the best in Socal at this time is really up to the players there that play one another on a weekly basis and by asking this question kinda defeats the purpose of what to me SOCAL vf was all about and that is good times just like brisal posted. I'm pretty sure if you really need a straight answer of who is #1 right now there someone in SOCAL will break it down for you.

Peace^_^

7. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Umm... I think the reason why most events take place in SoCal is simply this... People in SoCal spend the effort to organize VF events.

You have people like Plague who opens up his house for people to play VF and crash overnight. People who spend the time and effort to pick up guests from the airport, drive them around for entertainment outside of VF. Of course, having an actual arcade with FT and situated in a place with readily available good food and hot women only adds to the perks of visiting SoCal for their events.

Of course, NY events can easily be just the same as long as people spend some time to organize things.

8. CaliJared

CaliJared Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

theres a player named sean that lives in the oxnard area, let me know if you're interested in playing him

[/ QUOTE ]

How far is Oxnard and does he play any other fighting games?

9. PhoenixDth

well hes basically on the border of ventura and oxnard. I think its about 20-30 minutes south of you. He only plays VF, ill try to get his email for you.

10. PhoenixDth

apparently joeys lack of attendance recently is that he has night classes on wednesdays, he plans to show up this thursday if anyone is interested.

11. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

*Jared doesn't have a car currently, so I don't know if he can even go to the oxnard guys house.

And I can't make thursdays cause I have a night class sorry, but I'll be there on wednesday.

12. PhoenixDth

ill see if i can do both days, considering my money situation

13. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Wow, I heard Brian say that Alex Valle is interested in VF5 when it comes out! That'd be tight to have the legend himself get into the game.

Btw just wanted to say GG's last wenesdays, thanks Brain for the help, and DRE for mashing my head in. /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif

14. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    SoCal VF4:FT on Thuwednesdays

Catherine and I booked our flight to NYC on JetBlue.

If anyone wants to join us on the plane, we're flying out Thursday night from ONT at, basically, midnight and coming back Sunday night around 11pm. The itinerary is posted on the NYC tournament thread linked above.

If any of you remember how cool the March event in SoCal went, well, let's all return the favor by flying to NYC! No need to post about not having the money (unless you REALLY want to), that's not the idea behind this call to action. This is about not missing the opportunity to tell stories later on about how awesome NYC was in November. If you can make this trip, by all means, do so.

15. PIZman

PIZman Well-Known Member

Re: SoCal VF4:FT on Thuwednesdays

Hey SoCalers - sorry I disappeared!

Remember when I said I met a girl and couldn't make the meets?

WELL I MARRIED HER.

That, and I've been getting progressively worse and worse at VF. But on a brighter note - I'm a lot better at Street Fighter Alpha 3 *ducks*

Anyway...just wanted to stop in and see what you guys are up to. Hope everyone's well - I'm living in Thousand Oaks now...*maybe* someday I'll come out and get my teeth kicked in again by you mongrels!

16. Krafty Matt

Krafty Matt Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Matt_K
    XBL:
    KraftyMattKraft

[ QUOTE ]
    PIZman said:

That, and I've been getting progressively worse and worse at VF. But on a brighter note - I'm a lot better at Street Fighter Alpha 3 *ducks*

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with Alpha 3. Best Street Fighter IMO, and a respectable 2D deviant from VF.

17. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

[ QUOTE ]
    PIZman said:
    WELL I MARRIED HER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, THAT'S FANTASTIC!

Post your favorite wedding pic!

Seriously, congratulations. I hope things go well.

Also, plan to see a bunch of VF5 parties happen after the the game comes out on PS3. Hope to see you at some of them.

18. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

Catherine and I plan to go to AI tonight. Hope to see you all there.

19. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I had to work, so I couldn't make it last night. /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif

This will be my first thursday off in a while, so if anyone plans on going tonight I can make it.

20. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

Hope last night went well (not that I know if anyone was acually there).

I'll be at AI tonight after dining at Frisco's. I plan to stay and play VF after Glenn takes off. However, if the Guitar Freaks machine is still not running, we'll probably go check out Super Arcade. I may not come back after that.