1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Is anime racist?

Discussion in 'General' started by tonyfamilia, Oct 9, 2009.

1. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

<object width="480" height="295"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mAAxBa_CfcU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mAAxBa_CfcU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="295"> </embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAAxBa_CfcU

What do you guys think?

2. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    This guy looks like Christian Bale no? [​IMG]

3. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

Yes it is. [​IMG]

4. Fu_unji_kun

Fu_unji_kun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    None Other
    AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I laughed so so sooo hard while i was watched this video!!

Nice post Tony, thanks for give me great laugh!

5. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

you know, I couldn't get through it - I found that guy unbearable 20 seconds in.

6. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

I can see where you're coming from. I also had to turn him off after a while.

7. tonyfamilia

Come on guys, he looks like LA_Akira... a little [​IMG]

8. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

That video goes for any society. Asian, Latino or Black. Is not only asians getting cosmetic surgery to look more "White" This also works vice versa as well. Like some folks who are into anime and gaming are dating or married to a Asian Girl. Back on topic, is Anime racists? Yes, is just that the Japanese are awesome, and no one cares.....Except for that guy on Youtube.

9. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

We call "Double eyelids" when girls make the surgery. The purpose is trying to make your eyes bigger and charming, especially after making up. However, most Westerns seem like Asian girls with tiny eyes. Such a conflict~

10. shadowmaster

shadowmaster Well-Known Member

PSN:
    animelord79
    XBL:
    shadoolord1979
    Everyone entitled to their opinion but I feel this argument pointless, I feel anime is supposed to be for entertainment purposes only. He makes a few good points even though I found this ranting quite laughable

11. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    Interesting video Tengu, I think were all safe if we can get into Arcades [​IMG]

12. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL
    Good that you posted those videos Tengu. The guy is trying to have a civil discussion it seems, however he lacks the understanding of what this subject is actually all about.

As far as I know the "big eyes" is just a cosmetic change to look more "Kawaii", but definitely not to look caucasian.
    Anyway, that dude is wrong IMO, and should not make such ridiculous statements.... maybe he needed an ego boost as a caucasian? [​IMG]
    Nah, whatever were his reasons, at least he tried to present the issue in a civil manner.

13. tonyfamilia

I noticed that in that first vid he/she does not address why the color of the eyes has to change. It talks about how some of the youth dye their hair and wear contacts but all of this is not covered by any anime I've watched.

Then the second vid... supremacy issues? Most of those signs were on bars and I think it's obvious why these people had to put signs like those outside of their business establishments. Even though I have seen Korean and Thailandese natives get wasted at bars I've never seen them raise the kind of ruckus Americans can and have. I know that a lot of those signs are more to protect their businesses and property than just some supremacy or racial issue.
    Money doesn't have ethnicity. Businesses want everybody's money but if foreigners keep starting fights or being disrespectful to their staff after a while they just see banning foreigners as the smart thing to do.
    I don't agree with it but I understand. Some of it may have some racial motivation behind it but it's usually more business motivated than anything.

14. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

Uhhh, no Tony. Keeping a specific "race" out of your establishment for any reason whatsoever is racist (with xenophobic overtones in Japan, for instance). It's definitely racist to write off an entire race because you think they are culturally or even "naturally" destructive to the kind of environment they want in their places of business. So there's really nothing to apologize for, tolerate, or understand about the situation beyond racism.

This type of shit doesn't fly (legally, at least) in America for the exact same reason. Imagine an explicitly "whites only" bar or club in the US.

The OP video is just a race baiting troll. (takes one to know one, I guess?)

15. Truesonic2k

Truesonic2k Well-Known Member

Americans wish to be Asian? And Asians wish to be American? The grass is always greener?

16. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Is it that most Japanese females get cosmetic surgery on their eyes or both males and females? I heard they did this so that Japanese sent to American colleges wouldn't get made fun of, so they gave them a more Caucasian look. I've never looked into it, it's just what I heard once. I guess it could make sense for at least one of the reasons.

Anyway, while on the subject, my outlook of Japan's society is that it is pretty isolated. They won't allow foreigners into certain establishments if they're not Japanese, they won't sell their companies to any foreigners (that I know of), they won't allow foreign nations to have manufacturing plants in their country, etc. I've even heard that the hibakushas were ostracized at one point. Among other things, they were denied health insurance. It seems that they have a real problem accepting people not like them, at least from my limited knowledge.

17. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

In China and Taiwan, the pop idols have faces that are more Caucasian looking than most Chinese. They will have bigger eyes, more ovular faces, and less pronounced cheekbones. A lot of them are even of mixed ethnicity. The eye surgery is definitely messed up. Whether they consciously acknowledge it or not, they have absorbed white standards of physical beauty at the same time that the west is becoming more inclusive about beauty and ethnicity.

I can speak more about the Chinese and Taiwanese than about Japan and Korea, since I have spent a lot of time there. They definitely have issues. For example, when talking about actresses, they seem to universally think Bai Ling is ugly. And that Nicole Kidman is super beautiful. Kidman is like the most uber white chick ever and Bai Ling is the most Chinese looking of the Chinese actresses.

I am a pretty clearly white white boy, and it is bizarre to be talking to a gorgeous Chinese girl and have her tell you that you have a beautiful face/eyes. I laugh and tell them that at home I am considered very so-so. You can see how white dorks go overseas and become douchy ex-pats.

It is a shame that Caucasian is the default beauty standard for a lot people who are not white. I remember years ago black models were talking shit about an African model and saying things that a white person would be rightfully castigated for saying.

18. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Anime is not really racist but very obvious in showing the stereotypical things they might assosciate with other nations.

If you choose not to believe this then you are a fucking asshole.

Yes Japanese people are obssessed with Caucasians. I won't even go into detail period.

19. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

20. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Eyeshield 21. Panther. LoL