Discussion in 'Jacky' started by Tai_Ji_Quan, Apr 26, 2002.
I'm good with Lau
Would I like Jacky at all?
Look around the site, OF COURSE JACKY"S GOOD!!!!!
Well there is no other way to put this, except that if you don't want my personal opinion, don't read this. If you do want my opinion, here it is.
I hate Jacky. Yes this is meant to discourage you, because to me, the fewer Jacky players, the better. Explaining why is sort of a waste of time and will just encourage more flamming. Search through old posts to see other people's opinions on him. A lot of people do like him, but I must admit that I do not hold Jacky players in high regard.
From what I have read myself, a lot, and I mean A LOT of people have a hatred for Jacky. But what I still cant understand is why. In my opinion, he is one of the best characters. I, myself, have a Jacky character and he was the first character I used in VF, a good introduction I might add. But there are great features about Jacky that makes him great...
1. His auto reversal, when if your standing still, someone punches (high or mid punch) Jacky will reverse it, and if your fast enough, you can punch back (Pak Sao Knuckle) for a bit of damage. This is pretty effectve against opponents who rely on punching.
2. Auto parry. After a few of his moves, if you hold back, he will jump backwards. This can lead into his sidestep moves. Another good feature.
3. A lot of switch ups. A lot of his move sequences vary in where they land (high or low). Such as /versus/images/commands/p.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif/versus/images/commands/f.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif/versus/images/commands/k.gif and /versus/images/commands/p.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif/versus/images/commands/f.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif/versus/images/commands/d.gif/versus/images/commands/k.gif. This can confuse the opponent and make it hard to block Jacky which leads to more damage.
4. Easy to use throws. Jacky has some pretty good damage throws (50+ damage) that are also easy to use and get off (/versus/images/commands/b.gif/versus/images/commands/f.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif+/versus/images/commands/g.gif, /versus/images/commands/df.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif+/versus/images/commands/g.gif, /versus/images/commands/df.gif/versus/images/commands/df.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif+/versus/images/commands/g.gif).
5. High damage combos. One thing I have found is that he has high damage potential. One combo I found myself was /versus/images/commands/f.gif/versus/images/commands/k.gif, /versus/images/commands/p.gif, /versus/images/commands/f.gif/versus/images/commands/f.gif/versus/images/commands/k.gif, which is at least 63 damage and easy to do. Plus his kickflip does a lot of damage by itself, somewhere around 50+ damage on a counter.
5. He is fast. His moves get off pretty fast, and he can move around the ring fairly well. Plus he is mid-weight, which means that not all combos from opponents work on him.
The only real downside to Jacky is his annoying vocals "YYEAAAAAAAAAH!" "NOBODY CAN STOP ME!!!" But Jacky is a pretty good character all in all, from what I have seen. Just consult a few FAQs on the site for more info, or go to CreeD's combo guide if your having trouble with combos.
Hope this was helpful and I hope it didnt get too long. But I am glad to see that someone else is interested in Jacky. Good luck on your Jacky game!
people don't hate jacky because he isn't good enough, they hate him because HE'S SO DAMN CHEAP!!!!!! i play jacky a little myself but not much because: a. he is boring to play as b. he is cheap c. i play as lion d. it doesn't take as much skill with him as with the other characters, and finally e. his voice, but don't let that discourage you, play jacky all you want.
Is anything truly cheap? I dont think the people who made the game would make someone who is that powerful that they cant be defeated. Something is usually cheap because the person doesnt know how to defeat it. So dont say something is cheap unless there is distinct proof that it cant be beaten or is almost impossible to do so.
Again, this is just my opinion. If you don't care about my opinion (which you probably don't), please ignore this post completely.
If Jacky is the most hated VF character ever (and there is no denying this), don't you think there are legitimate reasons?
Yes Jacky is "cheap" in many ways. But Jacky is NOT cheap in any sense that he can't be beaten. Beating Jacky is not the problem. It is for the very things you just mentioned that makes him freaking retarded.
His constant attack level switching may be "effective" in some respects (which you consider positive points), but it is still just part of a bunch of memorized button presses that switch levels and cause guessing games, and take NO SKILL. As for his auto-inashi crap, even though it is NOT effective against opponents who know how to deal with it, the point is still that it is still stupid, and was put there in the first place for beginners/scrubs.
I know many people (basically all Jacky players) will strongly disagree with me and argue that he is a legitimate character and that every character is unique in his/her own way. Well okay fine, I will say that he is a legitimate and legal player, and that he is unique in his own way. I will ALSO say that he has his own strengths and weaknesses like other characters do, and that it roughly balances out. But that does NOT mean that VF players shouldn't hate him, nor should it mean that it is good to play as him. Perhaps AM2 from the start just wanted to make a scrub character (and certainly there is a massive demand for such a character). I don't know any really good VF player who will genuinely call it "enjoyable" to play against or with Jacky. He simply is not a satisfying character in my opinion (obviously this is NOT the opinion of all VF players).
I don't want to hear any flamming please. I have been in enough Jacky arguments over the years to have heard most sides/arguments already. I admit that he is legitimate. However, I will continue to discourage use of Jacky in VF1, VF2, VF3, and VF4, and future VF's unless they overhaul his whole play system. Personally, I will not "admire" a Jacky-only player, even if he/she won a damn world tournament with Jacky.
I apologize to anyone this may have offended. I am just stating what I personally think about Jerky. If you really honestly genuinely enjoy playing "as" Jacky, then I guess you should continue to do so. If you really genuinely enjoy playing "against" Jacky, then I have doubts about your sanity. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
I like Jacky.
In my personal view, Jacky is too predictalbe too play as if your playing with good vfer's. Most of his attacks are too linear, and some just pull off too much damage to be real. The first character I used when I first played VF4 was Aoi, but hey why not play with all the charaters /versus/images/icons/grin.gif
i h8 em
Shows your intelligence Joespeed...
Separate names with a comma.