1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Is SC4 that great of a fighting game?

Discussion in 'General' started by Air Jacky, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Air Jacky

Air Jacky Well-Known Member

I am just curious about this game as I see about 60% of the VF community is playing it right now and talking about it. At this rate vf.com should make this site 50/50 VF & SC as I see SC4 topics having been spilling in the VF area a little bit. (I am just joking on making this a 50/50 split hehehe) but really I am surprised by all the VFer's that have jumped the VF fence over to this game. Is it better then VF5? If so what makes it better. Or that it is a new fighting game and it is something different to play. Is it that it has Yoda in it lol????
    I myself have not played it, so I won’t pass judgment on it, but wanted to hear what other VFer's thought of it so far.
    For my personal reason I hope this game sucks, since I won’t play SC4 and I miss all the competition on VF online. i hope it doesnt last long and very one comes back to VF.

2. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

A lot of us HERE, are huge fans of the fighting game genre. Is good to take a break from other games. This situation also happen when GTAIV cameout. SCIV is a fun game, and not stressful like VF, lol. You'll see people comeback to VF by the time the NYG 7 approaches.

3. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

Short answer: It's not as good as VF. It's just fairly simple to play, and fairly fun, and it's actually pretty popular outside of japan, so there are actually people to play against.

As I saw one person say over on SRK (paraphrased): SC is a game that most fighting game fans really, really want to like. SC1 was great, and the premise behind the way the game engine is designed makes for a fairly solid system. Unfortunately, Namco rarely delivers, there's always something broken in the game, so competitive play tends to fall apart. The fact that SC4 hasn't been immediately shown to be completely unbalanced or full of game-breaking glitches, is enough to make people give it a shot to see if the series is worth playing again.

4. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I've always been a huge fan of the SC series I was just so dissapointed in SC3 and I was pissed in SC2 when they fused Seiggy and Nightmare together but I sucked it up. It's not better than VF it's just different and like everyone else says less stressful. When you lose in sc it doesn't hurt nearly as bad but I can't really put my finger on why.

We're not all jumping ship we're just delving into it much like what happened with GTAIV.

Reason for so many threads popping up is that the calibur forum sucks as it takes 50secs to load a page so I rather talk about it over here where I know where everyone is coming from already.

5. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Yes. The point that its ot stressful is what make a VF'er play it for a while. always like SC but 3 was kinda weak to me. I will cop 4 though just to play somthing different.
    Its been long enough now i think its time Sega add some flair to the VF series to in now.

6. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

It's pretty simple if you like fighting games in general then you
    generally try the new game OR follow the competition. SC is an
    oldie franchise that a lot of us liked at one point or another.
    Sometimes it's not about what the best game is, but more about
    what's the newest thing.

See old school rap vs new school crap.

7. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

My turn!

I think that there's a benefit to be gained from going out and playing different fighting games that are using different engines. One of the key's to be an excellent player are the ability to adapt on the fly and to think outside of the box. Playing different fighting games will help grant this ability, and let you think in terms that you may not have been able to do when sticking to one game.

I've always liked the series a fair bit, but have never played it at a high-level of competitive play (and am told by many that SC3 was completely broken from that standpoint). The 8-way run system definitely makes for some cool moments after a clash where both fighters are circling each other before diving back into battle.

8. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

I bought it, but I usually will only play it offline with softcore fighting fans. VF is just so cool. I don't really get tired of VS. Mode.

SC4 looks nice, but keep in mind that when the original SC came out on Dreamcast, I played it till VF3 came out, then I rarely played it. And DC SC looked ten times better than VF3, which was pretty old by that point.

I think that SC is just kind of simple and lacks the depth of VF. I can see why this would actually be a plus for some people; I know it can be not so fun to play VF against someone with way more textbook VF knowledge than you.

But still...

9. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate for me where SC4 is simple and lacking in depth?

10. Tricky

well it is, I didn't think we were arguing that. . . Just take a gander at the wiki and you'll answer your question.

11. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

In all honesty, I'm really liking SC4. More so than I thought I would. And while they are rather different, SC and VF do share a lot of similarities.

I do hope they fix the oncoming problems, and am pretty sure they'll fix the blatant ones.

I do not enjoy online with it at all though. Offline only for me basically with SC.

Will it take me from VF? Hahahahaha, no. Will I probably keep playing SC off and on? Yeah, very likely.

In-fact, after giving it an honest go with friends, it actually bothers me to see such negative talk about it without people actually knowing what's up. It'd be like people saying clearly wrongful things or exaggerations about VF to put it down.

12. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

Yoda, yes, it has. Just doing something to pass the time until VF5R, we are. Nothing wrong with VF5, there is. Played SC3, I have, it was good, and I thought. Played SC4, I haven't; a next gen console, I don't have. Oh, online, SC4 PS3 has, none, VF5 PS3 has.

13. Tricky

that was tuff to read and I would normally give you crap for it, but you were trying to be like yoda so you get a jail free card.

14. Alstein

Alstein Well-Known Member

If Namco decides to fix the broken crap in the game, which will take a while due to stupid QC restrictions, the game will end up good. I just don't know how many gameplay patches are in their budget- I'm sure 2 at most, most likely 1. So we gotta break this game like mad over the next two days to get it fixed.

15. CobiyukiOS

CobiyukiOS Well-Known Member

And that was why SCIV is a bit popular.

16. DaBadSeed

DaBadSeed Well-Known Member

all namco gamez r simple and lacking in depth /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

17. INCIDENT

INCIDENT Well-Known Member

From the little bit I've played of SC IV so far, I am happy that it feels alot better than III did. I mean, yeah, it's ultimately SC in HD, but it's still fun from time to time. Nothing I'd let take up all my time though. III was a rush job with pointless extras and tons of glitches. I mean, granted IV has some useless stuff like the mangaka characters, but it's actually kinda minimal.

And it still has Voldo, so therefore, I'm happy.

18. KillaKen

KillaKen Well-Known Member

PSN:
    KillaKen
    XBL:
    KillaKen7
    SC4 has plenty of depth. I don't understand why VF players can't respect other fighters. SC4 is a great fighting game, I love VF5 and I'm really warming up to SC4. Tell AM2 to put in a lobby system and maybe they'll get more people to play online. Say what you want about Namco, but SC4 is superior ONLINE to VF5. No doubt about it.

19. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

You Fail. Lag wise I still say VF5 has better coding. You'll here me argue that
    validity of VF online but SCIV is still kind of laughable.

20. Tricky

SC has better infrastructure online but that's it. Namco totally destroying it's hardcore community with SC3 is reason enough why VFers don't give SC the props it wants from us. No one has ever even dared say VF is not the deepest 3D fighter out there so of course we're going to be snooty about it.