1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Shun Di really drunk?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by sidneypoitier, Apr 11, 2002.

1. sidneypoitier

sidneypoitier Member

Ok, in the US instruction book it says he lulls his opponents into a false sense of security the more drinks he takes. I think that it would make more sense if he actually was getting tanked and could then pull off crazy drunk-guy moves. (But i'm sure they dont want the teenagers in the US to go and drink and fight). What do you guys think....drunk or fake drunk? Anyone know how drunken kung fu actually works?

2. sidneypoitier

sidneypoitier Member

answered my own question...I think he's actually drinking, this article says that they lull them to security, but if they actually do drink, then they fight drunken kung fu even better (makes sense).

http://thedrunkenarts.s5.com/drunkenkungfu.html

3. JoJoBiZARrE

JoJoBiZARrE Member

I think you're posting in the wrong section... How will knowing if it's drunk or fake drunk affect your own personal game play? It makes no difference. Just live with his "drunken mastery" style and move on from petty questions such as your own.

Thank you..

4. sidneypoitier

sidneypoitier Member

i cant believe u took the time to actually respond to this post then. If you dont like it, click the back button. its easy

sorry that i was to interested in one of the games characters for your liking.

5. SilentKnight

SilentKnight Active Member

Don't be an asshole jojo.Who the fuck are you to tell someone not to ask something? He wanted to know something about the game, so he asks. This IS a forum after all. Chill out man.

sidney: unfortunately, i don't know the answer to your question.

6. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

I think hes faking it. The book does say that he is pretending to be drunk. Plus how could one bottle hold so much booze!

7. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

he's not faking it, he is really drinking, BUT the USA version always gets censored and you dont see shun getting red (really red), in the jap version you see it .

8. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Check out this <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=media&Number=30392&page=&view=&sb=&o=>thread</a> for spotlite's and my opininions on the non-blushing Shun. It was a discussion about the first movies we could see of the US version in action.

9. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

No..actually..JoJo was correct abt one thing...
    the question was asked at the wrong forum.

IT belongs to the JJ forum..not character and technique training.

It's the sole reason why extra boards were created...so that proper questions go to the proper forums.

10. sidneypoitier

sidneypoitier Member

yeah, I'm sorry...i should've posted in Junky's Jungle or something. My bad, next time I'll post in the correct forum.

11. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

"Drunk body, sober mind" is the little saying of Drunken kung-fu stylists....at points they may train while drunk, but contrary to the movies, drunken kung-fu stylists do not go out, get plastered, then fight...

12. LaUcHaNtHe1St

LaUcHaNtHe1St Member

NO HE IS NOT DRUNK ITS HIS TYPE OF STYLE. THATS WHY ITS CALLED DRUNKEN KUNG FU. AND THE DRINK WHAT HE DRINKS ISNT BEER OR ANYTHING ITS A DRINK THAT MAKE HIM STRONGER.

13. TheDrunkenSpyder

TheDrunkenSpyder New Member

I don't mean to be rude or crude, but I personally train in Drunken Boxing. We teach that you DO in fact try to fool your opponent into believing that you actually are drunk, when in fact, actually being drunk and trying drunken boxing can be rather dangerous. I'm sure it doesn't matter if he's drunk or not in the sense that it's a fight to the death. Maybe it's a personal prefferance to drink while fighting. Hollywood and such has blown up such beliefs that one HAS to be drunk to perform the moves displayed here, when I myself have done many moves displayed by Shun Di while remaining completely sober. But, in contrast, being drunk does help make your movements more fluid, but you could kill someone, or hurt yourself really bad when performing say a mule kick, or a falling windmill, or any move that requires your body hitting the ground. Just my two cents....

14. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

you dont have to be drunk to pull of the move, yes that is true, but people who use drunken boxing are really drunk or ussualy drunk, why for various purposes, alcohol inceases pain threshold ( capability to with stand pain), and off course since you cant feel almost anything you'll be able to hit an opponent harder than you can when your sober, it sure is possible to do the moves when you're sober, you know this is just my opinion if why drunken boxing is formed, and that is there will be times a warrior will be caught dead in a fight and off course with a discipline based on being just sober then you really have no fighting chance of winning when you're drunk hence someone thought up a technique where discipline of fighting is mixed with drinking, just my theory ok, i didn't say this was hard fact. later /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. Shadowdean

Drunk in body, sober mind - that is one of the main guidlines of any drunken style/form. While some styles may have the student become intoxicated, they do so only so that the student may know what it is like to be drunk in order to "sell" the impression of being drunk when using the style.

16. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Drunk in body -- naked in my bed. That's generally my drunken theory.

17. TheDrunkenSpyder

TheDrunkenSpyder New Member

You're correct about the pain threshold, and I think that the only reason they oppose getting drunk is that you might actually kill someone when fighting drunk....which really doesn't matter in this case because the tournament that the characters play in doesn't care if they kill or not. lol I went to this Kung Fu tourney/demonstration to where this completely sober person stood straight up and then fell flat on his face, then got up immediately, all part of the form. All in all, drunk or not, it's a badass art, and I recommed it to all.

18. Shadowdean

Most people, even "Experts" are too stupid, their balance waay to off, and movements too slow, when really drunk to be effective..the idea is to give the impression, not to be actually be drunk.
    Gaijin: hehe

19. lau_fists

lau_fists Well-Known Member

In kung-fu movies throughout the 1970's, 80's, most Drunken Fist
    experts are slovenly fallen Shaolin monks who live alone in
    caves, in trees, in shacks, who NEVER take students except for the
    revenge-driven young hero, and who usually spill more wine down the
    fronts of their tunics than they get into their bodies.

It's a fictive legend, the Drunken Boxer actually being drunk, but the
    truth of the style is deceiving an opponent into thinking you're a
    stumbling clod and then finding that the slow, off-balance
    movements are actually very strong offensive strikes combining power
    and speed in short, damaging bursts.

Like most martial arts styles, Drunken Boxing isn't really applicable to
    today's streets, in it's pure form. But certainly the art can be melded
    into more modernized self-defense theories. I don't think you'd want to
    fall on the ground for no reason in a street fight, because the ground fall would
    probably hurt you worse than the opp., and the opp. is DEFINITELY going to hurt
    you while you're down there, if he knows what he's doing. . A thousand years ago,
    that tactic would have confused an opponent practicing a
    traditional martial art, expecting a fighter to have pride in himself and not be
    sloppy (drunk). Today's street fighter would just start kicking like crazy.
    Even if the falling produced a devastating offensive
    move, it still wouldn't be worth it.

All that to say that Drunken Boxing is a powerful, unique style and VERY cool
    to watch. Note Gordon Liu's kata in SHAOLIN DRUNKEN MONK.

20. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

"Style" of Drunken Boxing; this is only in the movies. Only a few systems have a true 'Drunken Boxing' set and that se'Drunken Boxing' is an enigma in Chinese Martial Arts. There is no stand alone "Style" of Drunken Boxing; this is only in the movies. Only a few systems have a true 'Drunken Boxing' set and that set is usually the System's most guarded secret. Choy Li Fut is one such system.

The principle concept behind Drunken Kung Fu, is to move as if one were half drunk. Execution of 'Drunken Boxing' demands extreme flexibility of the joints as well as suppleness, dexterity, power and coordination all of which can be developed in the course of practice.

The secret behind Drunken style kung fu is the sudden release of power from awkward positions. The agile footwork enables the exponent to totter, sway and fall without harm, confusing his opponent, rising up on the tips of his toes then dropping to low, crouched positions. The hand-form which is readily identified with the Drunken style is the Cup-Holding hand-form although in the Choy Li Fut Drunken Set this is replaced with a more practical and lethal "Phoenix Eye Fist" (Fong-Ngan Chui).