1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

is Shun DI weaker than ever?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Drunken_Master, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Well-Known Member

i been playing VF a little at my freinds house and i find that do jumping moves of any sort take away drink points and there are normal moves that seem to cost me drink points as well. so i am wondering is shun di the weakest in vf 4 as well as 3?

2. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Hell no...he can combo well even without drink points. He can reliably take 40-60 points with any short combo on anyone.

You lose the drink points when you cause yourself to fall on the ground. That's the only time that I'm aware of when you can drop them off yourself. Doing a hopping attack that doesn't end in you lying on your back (of your own accord), will not take drink points from you.

3. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

actually I think he is too strong in Ver B esp on how powerup he is after 8/16 drinks.

4. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Hitting the ground with one of Shun's sacrifice moves will cost you 1 DP; however, most of them allow you to hit P+K+G to go into handstand intead. There are also plenty of moves that take off DPs, but you can get at least 3-4 at the end of every round, which takes some of the pain away.

5. LiQuid_Fists

LiQuid_Fists Active Member

after each round i always drink like mad!
    but if u ly down n drink u can get 3 dps.. so after each round i guess the best thing to do is ly down quick then drink! but i cant really do his ly down move very good..

i dont think hes weak.. although in VF2 his moves do more damage i think ALL chars have their damage dumb down a bit..

6. Shundi_05

Shundi_05 Well-Known Member

Although Shun di tone down alot in ver C, I still think that he is strong. (Increased Dps = Increased Damage) Only Shun di has this advantage compare to other characters. Learn to drink, keep the Dps under your nose & u will survive. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif.

At the end of the day, it is still the playing style that matters. Learn the important techniques (e.g. two throw & guard). Have fun. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Okay any movelist that says it - 1dp is wrong its - 10% of his total dp. Going into the handstnad gets you hurt if you do it alot.

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Hey, I recently got some flicks showing good, strong shun di. I think they're version B but I might not be wrong. Anyway some of them were really entertaining.
    This shun di relied on a lot of dodge back 'n' swipe, the crane (?) stance kicks into b+P, mule kicks (into whiff punch, b,f+P,P,K), and of course drinking.

They're called like 1.asf, 2.asf, 3.asf etc. 1.asf is pretty entertaining, the shun trashes a timid Akira. I can see why they toned shun down in version C. Especially his PP,d+K,K. One thing I learned - if you duck under the d+K,K part (or block his normal d/b+K, and duck under the K) then an immediate throw vs. Shun Di results in a back throw. Maybe it's always been this way. Anyway it's a great reward if you're playing a wrestler vs. Shun Di. He'll be terrified to use the combo.

9. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

so even his P+k,k (or is it back and kick?), if he hits and does the back fall, will take off a dp now??!!

10. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

not really, with increased drinks Shun basically know whether the d+k,k will hit or not depeneding on whether the P is hit/block/whiff.

11. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Shun loses 10% of his DPs rounded down to 1DP.

So, if he has:
    1-19 DP: -1DP
    20-29 DP: -2DP
    30-39: -3DP

12. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Pretty much every move that ends with Shun on the ground (not the lying down stance) causes him to lose 10% of drunken points. Check out the movelist on virtuaproject. All the moves that have "ground" in the notes column cause Shun to lose DP. Notable exceptions, which are noted in the movelist, are Shun's pounces, his b+P+G throw, and the really weird one, the f,f+P+K drunken crash. You can use the handstand stance change so that you do not lose DP, but there are obvious risks with that option...

When you see -xDP, it means that an opposing Shun would lose drunken pts when the attack hits.
    When you see +xDP, it means that your Shun gains drunken pts when the given attack connects.

It's not all that bad IMHO, because a knowledgable Shun player will be earning 3~6 DP at the end of any round he wins with lie down and drink... someone posted the most efficient way to drink at the end of a round depending on how you won-- KO by either quick or long recovery attacks and by RO. Search for it... it might have been in a thread at VP.

Also, something that I know has to be fixed in the movelist/legend is how Shun loses DP from opposing players' attacks. It's not an absolute -1DP, -2DP, -3DP. It's actually based on percentages. i.e. -10%DP, -20%DP, -30%DP like it was in VF3. See <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf3&file=vf3tb_sober_guide_(sal).txt>Sal's VF3tb sobering Shun guide</a> for details.