1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Issuing NYG2 tapes....

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Chanchai, Sep 3, 2000.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Okay... I'm deciding different things on how I'm going to issue the NYG2 tapes to those who are interested.

Anyone who wants copies, let me know. However, keep in mind, that it's definitely going to take a LOT OF TIME before most of you get your copies. I've pretty much given priority to the NY Crew to have the first full set of the tapes because they were such wonderful hosts and went out of their way for the gathering.

Again, if you are interested in a set, please let me know. I'm not really sure who wants a set and who doesn't. But if you let me know you want a set, at least I'll know that. Let me know where I'll be sending them to as well. Also, if you were at NYG2 and you prefer not to have a set, let me know the tapes you do want if any. Please note I'm not gonna do any editing on the tapes I send out. Maybe pasting matches onto one tape when it was originally altogether on two tapes if it'll fit that way. Read further to hear my ideas on how I'm issuing these tapes.

IF/when I give you a price, that'll be the price of the tapes + shipping to your area. I'll admit that anything in addition is appreciated, but you're not obligated for it. I'll let you decide if my efforts were worth anything extra. For me, NYG2 participants know that I just love VF and I'm doing this for the community (if I do it hehehe... there's the chance of a laziness bug hitting). Also, if you want to trade, I'm up for that as well. Just let me know what you'll want to trade. It's all good. Often I prefer trades, but if money is all you want to do, so be it, no problem with that at all.

I'm thinking that after I do the full set for NY Crew, I'll start working on all the other tapes for everyone else. I'll admit that I might prioritize another set for people who are willing to trade some interesting options.

Anyways, besides that. I think what I'll do is release one 6-8 hour tape at a time. Let me know if you want the tape to be 6 or 8 hours. Some tapes are loaded at 8 hours. I know it's not the best quality, but it should come out alright. I'll let you know if it comes out really bad. I highly doubt it will though. I'll be copying off of the "masters" (though they're recorded in compressed quality).

Okay, main point... I'm thinking about releasing these tapes at a time.. One tape at a time. What are the cons at first... Cons are that most likely, this will probably cost you more. And btw, I'll keep track of all this... If you trade me an item, I'll take care of shipping and tapes to a good degree. Maybe an incentive for that. Okay, the pros and the reasons I'm seriously considering this... By issuing one tape at a time, it increases the chance about 10 fold that I'll get them to you sooner, and get them to you in general. If I was to record a set, that would be 100 hours for each group or individual that wants them. That's 4 days straight and most likely that would take a week to two weeks to make each set!!!! By focusing on only a tape at a time, more people get them quicker and for sure. Not to mention that, but do you really want to get slammed with around 100 hours of tapes at once? Or would you like to get these tapes in moderation of 6-8 hours, a better chance that the mailman will stick it in your mailbox (you can let me know if you want these sent by other methods, but out of laziness, I prefer to use just US Postal or maybe one of the other known deliverers as there is an office near my apartment), and in general a better chance that you'll get these tapes?

I'll let everyone decide if they think this is a good idea. If you don't mind waiting, I can just handle sets, but they'll probably be the last ones to go and I gotta get a box for them and everything.

So far, it's 15 tapes (some 6 hours, some 8 hours, some not filled at all). However, one tape seems to just be bad. The recording heads were misalligned or something... but whatever it is... it looks like utter garbage. So anyways, count it as 14 tapes at this point unless I find a way to play the bad tape. You never know, but most likely you get a good idea.

Things I will almost certainly trade for: VF stuff (but not those butt-ugly UFO Catcher dolls). Mostly stuff pertaining to the game itself as a game. This being Mooks, Videos, whatever. I'm also a collector (again, except for the butt-ugly UFO Catcher dolls) of VF stuff, so let me know if you don't mind trading. If you have tapes for other gatherings (Chicago, Omaha, Toronto, anything else) or tournament tapes, i'm definitely willing to cover the full set on those alone. I don't care if I get doubles of mooks either, there are good uses for those. Anyways, I made this a typically over-wordy Chanchai post... better stop here and let people have questions ask questions or people with requests make requests.

-Chanchai

2. Chanchai

On a side note... for international orders (Australia, UK, whoever), I'll probably release two at a time in those places so shipping charges are not an arm and a leg. Maybe even 3, but who knows.

-Chanchai

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Questions

Chanchai, even though I told you over ICQ, I might as well let you know here that yes, I'm interested in the tapes. But let me qualify what I mean by 'interested' ...

To be honest, the prospect of sitting through 14 x 6-8 hours of video is not very appealing. Hell, I don't think I could sit through one 6 hour tape at all.
    I can appreciate how valuable all that kind of data might be to someone starting out in the game. But what about someone more experienced and only interested in seeing the highlights of NYG2? What options, if any, do I/we have?

Are all 14 tapes worth watching in their entirety? Was there a tournament of any sort held during NYG2 (can't remember if I asked this before)? I can only imagine how huge a task would be to edit 14 tapes down to about 1, 2 or 3 tapes but should it be done, then surely duplicating 1 (2 or 3) tapes is going to be much more efficient than 14? If you really do plan on giving everyone the complete set of 14, I think you'll still be duping tapes come NYG3 :)

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

4. Chanchai

Re: Questions

First of all, no, there wasn't a tournament to my knowledge at NYG2. There were matches like Emil vs. Rodney which was going to 30. But no, there were no tournaments as far as I could tell.

Second, I would love to edit a highlight tape, I just don't feel at all qualified. I don't have the experience nor knowledge to know what really earns notice among higher level players and I wish I did. I mean, perhaps if you'd like some of the more intense streaks.

What I can do is ask anyone who does watch much of the tapes what they liked. What I plan to do is when I have the equipment to do so (it's hard to find time to do it at school) I will make MPEGs of the fights which I liked. I also plan to make MPEGs of other things such as Andy and Nelson's Shun dance (as well as the long blooper real on a seperate file). And I will definitely plan to make MPEGs of the matches which people have mentioned to me that they liked.

I know that as a beginner/intermediate, or however you want to categorize me as, player, what impresses me will probably not impress you as much. A big come back will probably do it for me. A strong rush, scrub or not, will probably impress me. Throws out of nowhere... And though many advanced players will like that, I seriously don't know what they want nor do I feel I have the position for editing a "highlight tape"... Seriously, I want to and wish I felt more qualified to do so. It would definitely be beneficial to everyone. If you want, I'll attempt one for you. If you want a player tape, i might attempt that too.

However, i don't want to make promises or big ideas on this. I'll admit I taped everything for my sake, that's for sure. But I do enjoy making tapes for others. However, I feel that if I promised a highlight tape, that would never come out and even if it did, it wouldn't be that great. Not to criticize Ed, but I almost feel like that's what he intended to do with Chicago Gathering tapes. I feel that I, myself, would end up in a similar situation... So, I figured, hell with it, I'll just send what I can to people who want it. I already have what I want, thought it'd be nice if anyone else wanted it. And I do enjoy editing and stuff... Just not confident (hehe I've said that so many times now)...

Besides making media files, and sending copies to people who request them, the extra effort I really have set on these tapes is to keep track of the matches that are recorded (probably 80-90% of NYG2) in a spreadsheet, make my best guess as to who the players are or leave some fields blank or with question marks, probably post them up and let it be known that that's what's on the tape. I'll probably do it one tape at a time. I've already started. And I'll probably include a note on the thing that the matches don't represent a who's better than who or anything aspect... The environment for NYG2 was pretty casual with some competitiveness. I think just about everyone had the competitive drive to win, but they seemed to be playing more for enjoyment, but for me, there were a lot of beautiful matches that came out of that.

Okay, this paragraph is gonna finish my response to Myke's questions, the next one will be some stuff I'm seeing already (based on a loose memory though). I think most of the tapes are worth watching... People are on at different times during the tapes. However... I guess if I could make a highlight "set" of tapes, it would be all the matches that took place at midnight-3:30am on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. Those were the times when EVERYONE or almost everyone was in the VF mood. And that was before EVERONE burnt out completely. That's about 7 hours a night, which is about 21 hours total. Seriously though, I think if you ask a lot of people from the gathering, this was when the excitement level was always there. If I had the time and confidence in my knowledge, I'd take those 21 hours and narrow it down a lot into a highlight tape. In any case, tell me what you would like to see and I'll try to make a note of it while I'm keeping record of the fights.

I guess I can post what I'm seeing so far out of the first tape. Hiro vs. Rich for awhile. Andy gets some nice streaks. Nelson gets a huge, huge streak that I think is broken by Rich. Rich has a nice streak, which I think was broken by me. Andy has more excellent matches. Nelson just starts dominating with his Akira (I think, Nelson please let me know if that was you who had the Akira streak and I think it was against either Hiro or Peter's Lion, but I think it was Peter). He also dominated with his Lau. And I guess everyone knows him for his Shun, but I think he should also be known for how well he uses other characters. Even Andy commented on this to me before the gathering, I feel the same way. Nelson was on a roll again with his Shun. I have trouble figuring out if it's Peter or Hiro's Lion that I see in some of these matches... But I can say when Peter's on a roll, it looks REAL good. I see myself playing completely dumb half the time. And that's about as far as I am on the tape. I think Rodney is starting to play (about where i am on the tape I mean). Anyways, that's not everything, but that's what I remember.

If anyone is wondering why it took me this long to start to really watch the tapes... I'll just say I can't really watch them around my parents... one of those, if I watch for 5 minutes IT MUST MEAN I'VE BEEN WATCHING THE TAPES AND PLAYING GAMES FOR 20 HOURS STRAIGHT kind of situation... I think some people can relate/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Hey Chanchai

i am interested in obtaining a set of these tapes as well.
    i read you would not mind doing international orders as well. well, i'm over here in MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
    so if you could indeed post me tapes of the NYG2, be it a set, or whatever!...i don't mind paying you, as long as the price is fair:)

Hope to hear from you soon!

A defeat today will somehow translate into a victory in the future! TRY HARDER NEXT TIME!

6. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Quite Honestly, Chanchai, I wonder if you know what
    it is you have gotten yourself into.

here's my word of advice. Choose--at the maximum--
    ten people to make copies for and then let them make
    copies for their friends. Do not spend all of your
    free time making copies for everyone who asks. Like
    Myke says, you'll be doing this until NYG3.

After the first MoaT we really tried to make copies
    for everyone who asked and it just became too much.
    I would spare you that.

GE
    -again, the number ten was the maximum. I'd shoot
    for lower. And anyway, I think you'd have more
    fun if you screwed the tapes altogether and just
    made some nice movies focusing on individual
    players or matches. you can be Verbose Productions.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: who's playing Lion

If it's a very clean Lion, ie clean movement, quick throws, no whiffed moves, etc. then it's probably Hiro. If you see:

db+P
    E > u+K
    df+P+G > df+P > CD *f+P+G
    d+KK or u+P+K off the start

then it's probably me.

8. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

don't forget the PP, PPP, PPP, PP, PPP, PP, PP, P's, either!
    *achoo*

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

9. Guest

Guest Guest

don't forget the PP, PPP, PPP, PP, PPP, PP, PP, P's, either!
    *achoo*

oh baby!

10. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hey man..find me on icq..I would love to get a copy of all the tapes, except, of course, the one that did not come out well.
    Josh

11. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

Tapes and Stuff

Well, you already know I'm interested. /images/icons/smile.gif

I'm more than willing to wait till the entire set is done. (Take your time.../images/icons/smile.gif) Since it makes the transportation hell of a lot easier (not to mention cheaper), but it makes me wonder if the tapes would even get pass the overzealous Censorship board here if its in a set.... *ponder*

-Rulakir