1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

It jsut keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Llanfair, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Check out the movies at DailyRadar. They're different. They show the monk doing a kata of sorts and you see him fighting with Shun. I love his throw!

The quality of the video is also much much better.

cheers!

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

2. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

Yes, your absolutley right it looks INCREDIBLEEEEEEEE!!!( much better then the pictures,obviously).
    Mr.Raka-Ken is absolutley cool!!! his clothes,his movements,the stages everything.
    Now let's hope the gameplay will be at least on the same as in VF3tb(even without dodge-button).

Lion, Mr. High social class in the roman,greek temple-stage, fits perfect fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

OMG! It's amazing how much better it looks on better quality video! Damn, I thought what I was watching this morning was great, but the daily radar video displays it at a much higher quality (enough to make it look different a bit to me).

(The main reason I'm assuming is that the Daily Radar video was captured from a much better angle)

Personal Reaction to watching the second video: "OOOOHHHHHHH SSSSHHHHHIIIIIITTTTT!!!" (In a good way)

BTW, What/Who is that at the beginning of the roof fight? (Yes, this is certainly going back to square rings but we love fighting in such stages anyways, right?).

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    OMFG!

Truly awesome. Haven't been able to concentrate on work all day.

When I saw the hi-res pics on ign I was pretty impressed but had this feeling it was lacking oomf.

When I saw the movie on ign I thought to myself, shit, this is looking really good now.

Then I saw the movies on dailyradar....

After calming myself down and changing underwear I thought, "FUCKIN' YEAH!!@#!!!"

I love it. Fuckin' brill' ..

Anyway, just speculating on the gameplay changes, namely with the lack of an E button. As most already pointed out, the stages are lacking in any undulation (angulation?), at least to the standard set by VF3. I'm guessing all the terrain angles and E movement will be downplayed in VF4, and the gameplay focus will be shifted elsewhere, probably more towards in-fighting. I liked that sequence toward the end of the second movie with Lau and Pai attacking, guarding and countering all while their arms were locked together. Awesome display. So was that just for show, or will the game really play like that?

5. Chanchai

Re: OMFG!

Pai vs. Lau: WE're all speculating on that one. I sometimes think it's completely show (attract mode). Occasionally think there's a chance it's an automated block system. But what some have suggested and is probably the most likely if it's truly in game is it's a form of inashi battle. In any case, "MACHI BACKFLIP!!!" :p just messin'. The stances after the backflip have me confinced that it's a demo though (attract sequence).

Not saying this is a very good or bad thing, but... VF4 seems like it's VF2 remix/images/icons/smile.gif. However, there's definitely a lot of advancing going on in all aspects.

Part of me feels that the animations are still manually done to some extent, but mostly motion captured now. Not sure though, but they look very, very good and without seemingly sacrificing the VF feel. Lion's animation seemed very different to me (was that df+P+K?)

6. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

something to keep in mind

Anyone who talks with me about VF4 knows I really don't
    care about it. All I kept thinking about when I saw
    the daily radar movie is, "looks like TTT".

Anyway. When we're all speculating on gameplay I got
    to thinking about the progression of the series. SEGA
    has always seeded little innovations in their VF games
    as a means of testing feasibilty. In VF1 they had one
    single reversal character and one multi-part/hit throw
    character. They found those worked and introduced them
    in greater detail in VF2. In VF2 they brought in the
    concept of 3D movement but only with two characters
    (outside of the dodging punch), both with very different
    executions. They implemented this into VF3. as well
    they refined the throwing and reversal process.

What is in VF4? What is in VF3 but only in small
    amounts (trial size)? I think if you can answer
    this question you can get a really good idea of
    what to expect. I think Chanchai is on to something
    when he says that the Pai versus Lau sequence might
    be an elaborate inashi war (something I was trying
    to nail down when the Toronto Crew was working on
    our own fighting game) and totally feasible in
    actual gameplay (albeit more clumsy or shorter).

GE

7. Chanchai

Re: something to keep in mind

Credit goes to Jan and Moebius (usually on #vfhome) for stressing the inashi aspect of the Lau vs. Pai scene/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

What is in VF4? What is in VF3 but only in small
    > amounts (trial size)? I think if you can answer this question you can get a really good idea of what to expect.

let's see...inashi's, reversal reversals, multi-throws, a ring w/o borders. ob had one character (taka) with very different hit/falling/float dynamics. ground throws. back catch throws (akira). back turned reversals. back turned throws and catch throws. stances (shun). low side throws.

did i miss anything? probably.

9. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Same here...Haven't been concentrating on todae much apart from VF. Esp after seeing the pics and reading the mechanical aspects.(buttons n such)

When I first saw the pic, Me and the gang were in IRC.
    Along came a spider who told us of the vf4 pics, then I got booted outta the channel by the script cause I went

'OH FUCKING HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL'*10
    after seeing Aoi and Kage!

Might change to Aoi in this game...ehehehe

then last night, I DLed the ura clip that GE did(IMO, his BEST!!!!!)

Suddenly I got hit by some strange sadness.
    I started on the game late. Seeing the clip doing all those Uras is just tooo cool.

If that aspect of the game is taken out, I will REALLY miss em./images/icons/frown.gif

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'

10. GodEater

If that aspect of the game is taken out, I will REALLY miss em

I really don't think you need to worry. Ura has been
    in every installment of VF. VF3 just had the
    most potential for it than the previous two.

GE

11. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

add this one;

attack into throw (canned). that's wolf's pp,
    f+p,d/b+pkg. i swear there's gonna be a lot of
    that in vf4, that and reversal reversals, a
    feauture im crazy for.

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

12. Chanchai

http://ps2.ign.com/news/31783.html

PS2 IGN is claiming that the Lau vs. Pai match was an example of a new system in VF4. Basically, sounds like the inashi game that's been talked about. Of course they might be blowing smoke out of their ass or something. But you never know. I just didn't see anything like "according to Yu" or something, so they could just have added this statement (meaning that I think it was the author's personal comment/interpretation).

However, the site is impressions of the VF4 presentation so some of you might want a look.

-Chanchai

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Chanchai on 2/24/01 05:01 AM.</FONT></P>

13. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

Ragarding Pai and Lau's Inashi/reversal sequence - I hope I'm wrong, but I think that was just the author of the article assuming too much.

On the other hand, he mentiones that full production of the game didn't begin until September 2000 (!!!). Which means, if they plan on releasing this summer, they're like 50% done. Which means, if they got this far since september (5 months), they're gonna be able to add a ton of stuff before it's ready to released.

It's not unlikely they created the game physics and gfx engine first, dressed the chars up and had them do some of their old, already-programmed moves. Who knows how many new ones they'll add or how much they'll modify before the game's ready to be released. Almost all VF2's moves were altered, expanded upon and added to in VF3 (save the throws, many of which date back to VF1).

- Jan

14. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

A BIG part of VF3 which I loved is REVERSALS!
    Why duck or guard when i can Mc or reverse ur attacks!

<font color=red>SummErs' 'mibu's lone wolf'

15. Guest

Guest Guest

What about wallthrows?

I think, in most of the stages I saw, they won't even work!?
    No wallthrows anymore?
    Only a few left?

Yu Suzuki said: the game will go some steps back from VF3 and make some new steps forward. But in which direction, focus in the infight?
    I agree that VFseries made always significant but little steps forward(with caution). But VF4 breaks with that tradition.........like it's seems that those features in VF3 which were removed, were an 'error' in the first place?

i hope that the new features will compansate for those we've probably lost

16. Llanfair

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Anyone who talks with me about VF4 knows I really don't
    care about it. All I kept thinking about when I saw
    the daily radar movie is, "looks like TTT".

<hr></blockquote>

I guess I've never spoken to you about it then. Looks like TTT? Sure, maybe the CG sequences shown so far with fences and city lights, etc. But it's not TTT. And you can make that distinction from the get go. So why compare? Especially when you're a VFer (I mean that in the sense that given the choice, you would likely play VF over Tekken).

Now, I've *never* seen TTT on the PS2, japanese or american, in person. But I can tell that the arcade version looks like hell compared to the video of VF4 we just saw.

I'm surprised you're not *interested* in VF4. So then, I don't expect to see you at funland when it's finally released? Naa...you're right, they've already got TTT. ;)

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

17. GodEater

Looks like TTT? Sure, maybe the CG sequences shown so far with fences and city lights, etc. But it's not TTT. And you can make that distinction from the get go. So why compare?

Why not compare? I'm going on visuals alone and the visuals
    alone have a lot in common with the PS2 release of TTT (imo).
    Considering I know nothing about VF4 except what it looks
    like and what has come before. I can't make any distinction
    from the get-go. I never said it was TTT, I said my initial
    reaction was, "looks like TTT".

As for Funland, lets not be obtuse here. I said I don't care
    about the game and its true. I've been there at the
    beginning, done the all night arcade runs, all day Saturn
    runs, DC runs and its been fun but VF4 holds no spark for
    me. At all.

But will I venture into Funland to see what's what? Damn
    right! I think it will be a hoot to see the changes and
    additions. I will probably even play it for awhile. I
    just don't care if I do or not.

GE

18. Llanfair

excitement in mind

hmm - maybe I misunderstood you. But from how I read your post, it was like you were saying that its similarities with TTT are a bad thing. TTT, from the pics, looks amazing. If VF4 can look that good, be it similar, then I'm all for it. What were you expecting? (you're likely going to say 'nothing')

I dunno - the gist I got from your post was that you were dissapointed. Kinda the "aahh...looks like TTT....nothing new...bah...show me something I don't know" is what I got.

From what I saw, the visuals are extremely well done. All I can do is hope for great gameplay that's VFesque.

As far as caring for the game? I would think most of us here share the same feeling, the way you describe it. I had originally accepted that VF4 would likely not exist - and it really didn't matter much as I'm extremely satisfied with the series as it stands. However, the game does exist now. And now I'm excited about it. I'm excited about the gameplay, the new tournaments (if they happen), the new discussions of strategies, the new VF. I don't *care* about the game either - I'm just excited. My feelings tell me that you're excited too.

cheers,

19. GodEater

Re: excitement in mind

I'm not dissapointed in the graphics at all. I do think
    they are well done, I just watched the initial video
    again (from about six feet from the 'puter...man the
    quality is bad) and I like what I see. I think I'm
    just jaded.

Like I said, little Llany, I'll more than likely come
    out to play when it arrives. I still love competition
    and VF has always been where the competition is (good
    competition anyway).

As for the TTT comparison, that was just my initial
    impression. Looks like TTT. Kinda flashy, movie-ish
    trailer. But that was it.

As for interest and caring...let me put it this way.
    If VF4 never made it over here I wouldn't
    feel I'd missed out on anything. For me, learning
    about the newest Virtua Fighter is a lot like
    learning about the newest Mario. I'm curious as
    to what they will accomplish over what they
    already have and if the game is handy I'll check
    it out first hand but is like an occupational
    interest rather than a personal one. Can't
    explain it any better than that.

And please people, lets have no respsonses about,
    "I can't believe you would compare VF4 with
    Mario!". It's an analogy, nothing more.

GE
    -"a big penis as a character? that WOULD be interesting!"

20. Llanfair

Re: excitement in mind

Like I said, little Llany, I'll more than likely come
    out to play when it arrives. I still love competition
    and VF has always been where the competition is (good
    competition anyway).

<hr></blockquote>

Ok, what the fuck am I, your pet?

As for interest and caring...let me put it this way.
    If VF4 never made it over here I wouldn't
    feel I'd missed out on anything. For me, learning
    about the newest Virtua Fighter is a lot like
    learning about the newest Mario. I'm curious as
    to what they will accomplish over what they
    already have and if the game is handy I'll check
    it out first hand but is like an occupational
    interest rather than a personal one. Can't
    explain it any better than that.

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah - I couldn't agree more. You're just reiterating what I said in the last post.

cheers,