1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

It's official, VF4 is sequal to VF2!!! not 3!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Cause, Apr 11, 2001.

1. CrewTW

CrewTW Well-Known Member

Re: Before VF5, let's review a bit...

The tetsujin era essentially ended with VF2. VF3 is a different kind of hard. The basics revolved around guaranteed situations. Block a rising attack and ppp is guaranteed, block this move and this is guaranteed. VF4 has some of this but far more non throw counterable and non punch counterable moves were added making the game feel faster. For fans of a pure knowledge game and strict training of hand timing, VF3 is the harder game.

VF4 is more complex in the sense that one match involves more guesses and more inputs. Timing is relaxed for things like CD's and TE techniques in order to open up more guessing opportunities. VF3 was about the quality of the guess. For throw counterable situations you could only guess 1 command throw to escape. In VF4 you can input multiple command throw escapes.

I believe due to the design direction of the VF series, the age of the tetsujin will never come back. My guess is VF5 will revolve around the principals created in part 2 and 3 but determining winners will involve more reaction time and combo knowledge, thus making VF5 like DOA but with VF movement and defensive options.

I also think SEGA will intentionally create a game with reduced damage, relaxed timing for defensive options, MORE defensive options, and lots of non P and non throw counterable situations.

2. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC

Dandy J

I just wanted to point out that the origin of statements regarding VF4 being the sequel to VF2, not VF3 came first from AM2 and Yu Suzuki themselves. THEY said that about VF4 when they made it, to explain why the game had reverted back to the style of play, control and stage from VF2.

Like Andy said, VF2 and VF4 are games of speed and technique. VF3 is a game of thinking. For people that played a lot of VF2 and 3, it's easy to see this idea, that 4 follows 2, not 3.

Anyway, I think 3 is my favorite, because I think that it's the time Sega pushed themselves hardest to try new things.

Bryan

3. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

If you look at it that way one can see the changed throw range and other new changes to be a bit like VF3. So it is possible that the intention is VF3->VF5. Just an observation.

4. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

What I love about all of this is how I got jumped on when vf4 came out and bitching about flat stages...and now everybody holds VF3 up on this high alter because it dared to be different...VF5 *LOOKS* very much like VF4 aside from the graphical changes...your still fighting in squares and rectangles...completely flat squares and rectangles...there have been a few (minor?) offensive changes and defense is still more or less the same as it has always been since the subtraction of the E button...its about time sega revolutionized the defense game...add in active blocking, a more robust throw system...etc.

5. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

I always thought varying height stages were gay. In VF3 matches all I ever saw were people picking the flat stages.

6. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

"What I love about all of this is how I got jumped on when vf4 came out and bitching about flat stages"

nah man everyone was jumping on you cause you wanted a night club stage lol

7. Shadowdean

LOL, wtf?!?!?!?
    Dandy: really? Somehow I always remember fighting on ALL the stages...then again, I am not Japanese.

8. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

FYI the two most popular stages were 1. Akira's Dojo , and 2. Taka's Ring....

What's that?.. Do I hear bells ringing? OH SNAP, THE SOUND OF ONE BEING TAKEN TO SCHOOL!

9. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

yeah, as much as the uneven terrain was cool it was impractical if you just wanted to focus on fighting. Missing an elbow or throw opportunity because your opponent was 6 inches higher or lower than you was maddening. What I did appreciate was the odd shaped rings and how picture postcard everything looked but some rings (pai's for instance) put one player at an automatic disadvantage, which is pretty bad for a game looking for balance.

GE

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

At the risk of repeating what's been said, there is a middle ground too. AM2 can keep the stages flat, but they don't all have to be square with fences and size being the only differentiators. Perhaps the stages can vary in shape, or maybe there can be uneven surfaces that don't affect gameplay but provide visual variety. I thought Soul Calibur and even Tekken 5 does that kind of stuff pretty well.

I like fighting on flat stages, yet at the same time I do like to feel like I'm playing in an environment rather than a square ring.

11. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC

I agree with Jeff. I'd like to see Sega try to please all audiences, instead of going in the most stark direction only. Rather than do away with varied shapes and undulation alltogether, why not work out the kinks?

If on Pai's stage it seems someone is at a disadvantage because they're lower at the start, you could start the round on a horizontal axis across the slope, perpindicular to the downgrade. I was watching some VF3 footage today, and it seemed the good players could actually use being on the lower section to their advantage (you need to be closer to hit with an elbow, so crouching a little out of range caused several whiffs of Lau's elbow palm in a match I was watching). Also, in VF3's case, there were some combos that could only be done uphill, and picking people up w/ Wolf and Jeff seemed easier to me going up a slope too.

Anyway, this is probably all for naught. I just think it's too bad they took such a narrow-minded approach, because I already feel somewhat bored w/ VF5's stages, and I haven't even played yet :/. It actually saddened me in the AOU clip when the stage morphed in real-time behind Eileen from one to the next, demonstrating how the differences in the stages are purely cosmetic within a type.

Bryan

12. Shadowdean

[ QUOTE ]
    Jerky said:

FYI the two most popular stages were 1. Akira's Dojo , and 2. Taka's Ring....

What's that?.. Do I hear bells ringing? OH SNAP, THE SOUND OF ONE BEING TAKEN TO SCHOOL!

[/ QUOTE ]
    In Japan? Oh snap - I don't give a fuck.

13. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

The game is catered towards Japanese people... your point please. Oh wait, you've none.

14. Shadowdean

Oh, wait...hrmm, what could be my point - I hate fighting in JUST FLAT BOXES AND RECTANGLES (was the easy enough for you?)...and from what people have said, it seems I am not the only person with this point of view.
    As for it being catered towards japanese people...again - do I care or take that as an excuse? No.
    Try reading through the threads...how many people commentated that the creativity sega displayed with VF2, 3 is almost nowhere to be seen in VF5 (and to a large extent 4).

15. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Well shit mao good luck on getting Sega to bless us with a brand new stage with all the undulation you could shake a stick at - they don't care. They don't fucking care. We're not their market. Get it?

"Hmm I wonder if the 3 people in America who play this game care if the stages were flat again... hmm."

Edit: Please do leave other people out of this as well.. my response was to this:

[ QUOTE ]
    What I love about all of this is how I got jumped on when vf4 came out and bitching about flat stages...and now everybody holds VF3 up on this high alter because it dared to be different...

[/ QUOTE ]

It holds no weight for us Americans to have enjoyed it when we weren't the target audience to begin with..

16. Shadowdean

Again, completely irrelavent to my argument dude. I understand why Sega did what they did...but that in no way says that I should not be able compain about it. They have what they want to do and like, I have what I like to do/want to see in the game.
    Buut, I am glad to see your so passionate about understanding we are not in their market!!!!

17. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

You know? I give up.

Here, read the color and not the text of this word: <font color="red">Blue </font>

18. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant

Sorry to bring up the argument again.. But didn't the unflat stages cause problem with VF3?. I wouldn't understand why Sega would attempt to try then again. Maybe they did and just found too many problems again, even namco tried it with Tekken 4 and that didn't work either.

19. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

[ QUOTE ]
    Shadowdean said:

but that in no way says that I should not be able compain about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The simple fact is that nobody here can help you. Get it? We've all heard you complain about how you absolutely "hate fighting in JUST FLAT BOXES AND RECTANGLES."

I thought the direction AM2 were taking with the stage designs had already been clearly stated. That is, they're set within a "tournament". They want VF to look like a sport, similar to what you'd watch on TV. How many serious fighting competitions/tournaments have you seen fought on the roof of a restaurant?

Look, just deal with it. You're powerless to do anything about it, and your constant complaining only serves to piss off your peers. Let it go, and enjoy what you have in front of you. But if the stage designs really bother you so much, then maybe the DOA series is for you.

20. Shadowdean

What bothers me is the generally feeling of this board between apathy towards "Oh no, lets not question sega." Maybe if there is enough discontent, it would boil.
    I enjoy VF...the fact that I am stuck in what feels like a dog cage still does not prevent me now from playing for till 3 am in the morning when I have to get up at 7 every saturday.
    It is nice to see that I am not the only other person here that shares this opinion..
    If you want a "lets all be happy with what we got board" then thats one thing...but discussion, at least to me, implies some sort of back and forth discourse with varying opinions, not just people saying the same shit. I can watch political shows for that.