1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

It's official, VF4 is sequal to VF2!!! not 3!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Cause, Apr 11, 2001.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: Before VF5, let's review a bit...

This thread is senseless hamster-running-in-a-wheel....every single opinion has been expressed multiple times (including mine). Dude, let it go.

2. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    How many serious fighting competitions/tournaments have you seen fought on the roof of a restaurant?

[/ QUOTE ]Well, to be fair, I haven't seen any serious fighting competitions being fought on the chinese wall, in an cage in a hidden cave, a cage in an harbour, an aquarium, a square at the top of a shaolin temple with no stairs running to it, a semicage in a snowy castle courtyard, top of a skyscraper or on a raft floating down the river either.

And I do believe there's a middle ground between being obvious squares and being DOA like stages. The VF stages could still be flat and without obstacles but also be less obvious about it (Tekken 5 stages comes to mind).

That said, I like all the new stages in VF5 I've seen.

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Part of the problem

[ QUOTE ]
    Shadowdean said:

apathy

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, man. I disagree with you here. I think people are politely accepting things over which they have no direct influence. Then they look for the things they like.

Re: complaining in general... Sure, I can complain. If I have no solution to offer, I don't think it serves much purpose other than possibly bothering someone else. I remember old girlfriends who'd insist on going to arcades with me and then complain about boredom, noise, and whatnot.

WTF?

Stay home next time, please.

I don't think Sega will notice this board boiling. That doesn't disturb me. If I was fired up, I'd write them a letter - I call that part of the solution.

4. Jeffahn

Jeffahn Well-Known Member

Re: Part of the problem

I have a pretty whacked-out theory that states the following:

VF3 is in fact the sequel to VF1 (yes, AM2 have a time machine).

VF2 is the sequel to Tekken 1 (because it uses texture mapping, like Tekken 1).

Lastly but leastly, VF4 FHUTA (Final Hyper Ultimate Turbo Again?) is the sequel to VF5 and will be released in 2008 on Sega's revived System32 hardware.

There you have it -the FINAL word.

<>

5. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Plague said:

I don't think Sega will notice this board boiling. That doesn't disturb me. If I was fired up, I'd write them a letter - I call that part of the solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, Sega is taking suggestions via survery at the location tests I believe. I really want to write out some suggestions I have, but I need to find someone to forward this for me in Japan. Maybe someone can let me know if they'd help me with that.

6. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeffahn said:

I have a pretty whacked-out theory that states the following:

VF3 is in fact the sequel to VF1 (yes, AM2 have a time machine).

VF2 is the sequel to Tekken 1 (because it uses texture mapping, like Tekken 1).

Lastly but leastly, VF4 FHUTA (Final Hyper Ultimate Turbo Again?) is the sequel to VF5 and will be released in 2008 on Sega's revived System32 hardware.

There you have it -the FINAL word.

<>

[/ QUOTE ]

VF2 was released before Tekken1

7. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

Nu-uh, because Shun is clearly a cheap knockoff of Wang Jinrei.

8. Jeffahn

Jeffahn Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Fishie said:VF2 was released before Tekken1

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything about when they were released, though I do remember that Tekken arrived in our local arcade before I ever saw VF2 (maybe bc it was cheaper). I remember my bother shouting about "a new texture-mapped 3D fighting game". I asked him if it was VF2 and he said he wasn't sure. Anyways, VF2 arrived sometime after that at an arcade a bit further away (where I had first played VF1) and I never went back to Tekken. VF2 also eventually arrived at our local arcade. Then I bought a Saturn just before VF2 came out in America. The original VF3 never arrived in Cape Town, but TB eventually did.

9. akira_lee

akira_lee Active Member

i'm not trying to jump into the argument pool, but speaking of stages, i just played DOA4 on 360 yesterday for the first time (and the first DOA game i've played as well), i noticed there was one stage where you fight on a wooden bridge, and if you fall off, both fighters go to the bottom with trees and water..it was pretty cool.
    but aside from that, sorry the game doesn't match even vf4. /versus/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. Madin

Madin Well-Known Member

Virtua fighter 4 (arcade)
    The good: I really liked the character design of Vanessa. A very well realised character.
    VF4 (PS2)
    Really good training section. Very comprehensive.

The bad
    Stages.
    The stages in VF4 are awful. The designs are boring and trite, they lack character. They don't feel like real locations. The one exception is wolfs stage (AM2 probably fired the designer who came up with this stage for being too excitable).
    They should have opened up their dreamcasts popped in Soul caliber start it up and watch and learn. THATS how you do flat stages. The soul caliber team were so proud (rightly so) of their stages, that you could choose to view them rotate the camera, zoom in out etc. Everyone stage a work of art.
    VF4 stages are divided between the dull (Shun,Vanessa,Akira,KageJacky,Lion) and the awful (Lei,Pai,Dural,That horrific bonus stage)
    Nothing to do with bumps and undulation etc. The stages are just straight up crap, and has Soul caliber showed BEFORE VF4 was even close to coming out, that just ain't nessecary.

Art direction.
    My first impression on seeing VF4 for the 1st time at a test machine was "This game is fucking ugly". Theres nothing that catches the eye, no style. No charisma. Some Tekken heads looked over while others were playing and sort went "meh!". And once I was honest with myself I had to say I agreed with them. VF4 ain't saying much. After the dizzy heights of VF2 and VF3 I was very dissappointed at the ugly, fat, boring bitch that is VF4.

Game play.
    I never got used to the feel of VF4's fights. I thought that improving myself with provide more satisfaction with the gameplay, but it just never happend. This meant that the nessecary training needed to ensure that your play is competitive became a chore, infact it was a chore right from the start. The gameplay is obviously top draw, however I think that while its 'different' to VF2/VF3 it is not better.
    VF2 was and still is crack cocaine. Much more raw fun then VF4 could ever hope for. The best VF2 players had an aura about them. They seemed inhuman. They glowed, has if they'd devoured half of the Andromeda galaxy. And they were ready to show you the diffence between a master and an enthusiast.
    VF3 was like vintage champagne shared in the company of a beautiful intelligent woman while savouring a Monte cristo.
    VF4 is stale, warm lager. Its luke warm Lambrini.

Style.
    The Virtua fighter franchise has always been the Premier 3D fighting experience. It never dumbed it self down. It was always proud of its tough learning curve.
    And when a VF game was released the industry knew that you were going to get benchmark graphics, benchmark art direction and benchmark gameplay.
    Virtua fighter used to be greedy. Having the best gameplay was not enough. They always went for the graphics and art direction as well. They left the competion with nothing.
    VF3 was astounding. The arcade VF3 still is astounding. Has with VF2 it took the competion years to catch up. When the latest Capcom fighting game was released you wondered what tired rehash you was going to get this time and which characters would be broken. With AM2 it was what innovations are we going to get this time?. How far are they going to push the technological boundaries? How bad will they make the competition look this time? VF2 and VF3 glowed. VF4 whimpered. Its just not good enough for the premier 3D fighting Franchise.

I think about how history will judge VF4. I know for a fact that unlike VF2 and VF3 which often get dusted off and played, I won't be doing the same with VF4. Not a chance. That games in the attic and its never going to leave there. Soul caliber, I dust that off. Look at the stages, look at the flow and feel of the game. Acknowledge the astounding achievement. I never thought I'd ever say that I prefered another game over VF. I didn't know how to not like VF. But I found Soul caliber much more enjoyable than VF4. I remember when my friend bought Evolution and he said he didn't like it."what?" how can anybody especially a big VF fan say that they don't like a VF game? I carried on, in denial basically. Refusing to abandon the game, but knowing that I was not enjoying myself. My biggest regret with VF4 is the time that I spent on it. WASTED time that I'll never get back.

(Edit)
    I'm hoping that with the current trend with companies releasing their back catalouge, we are closer to Arcade or near arcade perfect conversions of VF2 and VF3.

11. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or was just about every complaint you had about the game about graphics or things related to graphics?

And also, every good thing you have to say about Soul Calibur also about graphics and things related to it?

12. Vith_Dos

Vith_Dos Well-Known Member

I wanted to use this new word i picked up from Shag (thanks shag I had to look this one up. Sorry i didnt use it on Shadowdean)

YAAFI

VF4 , not as good as VF3? Not visually pleasing?

As a crossover tekken fan I admit the game lacks charisma, but none of the SC or Tekken games character or animation models look anywhere near as crisp as VF4.

Stages? LeiFei or Pai or Kage or Akira all have awesomely designed and visually pleasing stages. Wolf's stage was good but not as good as these.

And as for the lacking charisma, i see these characters as pallets. The customization mode in the arcade and console versions make these characters sooooo much more visually pleasing than tekken or SC, because its your own design .

As for gameplay... I don't need to say anything as this is a VF board.

I am assured VF5 will rock any competition that appears just like its previous installments.

*disclaimer* Its your opinion, i know, but I stopped caring the moment you compared VF to Soul Calibur