1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jacky: Shuffle step.

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by scolaire, Jan 11, 2002.

1. scolaire

scolaire Well-Known Member

Anyone noticed that the Japanese players who were featured in the Daioh clips seldom use shuffle step? Its quite a good move to use.

But, its kinda puzzling that those guys hardly use shuffle steps? Or did I miss something?

After these few weeks of playing, I find that the shuffle step is better as a defense move since it moves jacky well out of range of most counter attacks. Any opinions on this?

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I think for the sake of simplicity the best players stick with the moves that are easy and effective. You don't need to be in shuffle step to punish whiffed moves with P+K, P, K ... nor do you need it to use d/f+PPP, pounce, or knee combos, or elbow-backfist. It's like the akira syndrome Mr. Bungle and Alan Tan are arguing about in another thread: Jacky has so many great moves that he doesn't really need the shuffle step, even though the moves in it are all pretty good.

Speaking of good moves, is anyone else puzzled by the fact that "Green Jacky" (the best Jacky player in all the movies) uses b,f+K+G a lot? Does it do about 50 points of damage or something? Is it purely style to keep us awake? It seems to make good bait - the recovery is much better than it used to be and shorter than it looks onscreen.

3. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Re: Jacky: b,f+K+G

Heh... it does 36 points of damage, only two points shy of his kickflip. Looks to be safer as well.

kbcat

4. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Great for TR punishing aswell

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

scolaire: Jackys in Tokyo do use the SS, but I noticed that lower dan Jackys relied on it more than higher dan Jackys. When they go for the SS at all, it's for the iageri kick. It's really amazing at how consistent some players can get that SS iageri...it's extremely strong--the recovery is great, the damage potential high, and it hits mid.

Creed: Higher dan Jackys used the b,f+K+G quite a lot; against TRers, in combos, but in the Daioh clip, I think the Jacky was using it mainly as a way to interrupt Akira attempting DEs, crouch dash, and palms.

6. Trigger

Trigger Active Member

I agree wit ice-9 that the green Jacky's opponent tend to crouch/ crouch dashing a lot. Maybe because a character like Jacky hasn't got low throw so his opponent thought it's safe enough to play that style. In this situation a surprise middle spinkick can be fairly effective. Another thing is that the middle spin kick seems to be very useful in guessing game with a raising opponent. What do you think?

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Having no low throws is not a concern for crouch dashing. The concern is a powerful mid attack, and Jacky has them! Against crouchers, beatknuckle and elbow do the job nicely.

As for okizeme in VF4 (pressuring the person getting up), probably works well against rising attacks since a lot of things seem to be having funky properties against rising attacks in VF4. Definitely a good option against Tech-Roll as people mentioned.

I would also imagine that b,f+K+G denies dodging, though I don't know how much dodging I see in the Daioh videos. It's still a form of pressure anyways.

Back to the SS topic, is it easy to dodge SS options? My Jacky experience in Portland is rather low and I hardly get assaulted by SS, so I haven't toyed around with how to handle it.

-Chanchai

8. scolaire

scolaire Well-Known Member

Actually, I do get to see lots of pple using shuffle steps pretty often at the local arcade. And, follow ups from the shuffle step are the usual crouch dash, d+K K, K cancel.

Its rather predictable. In addition, shuffle steps don't seem to be useful, if the other guy( or gal) plays a waiting game. That is in my opinion, of course.

With regards to dodging SS options, I ever seen the com dodging my SS iaigeri kick. I'm not sure about others though. Any comments?

9. Trigger

Trigger Active Member

Maybe using SS alone might not have any impressive result but there are some commands that add SS after the last attack of certain combinations. That should help Jacky out from throw counter.

10. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I was a tekken player and now finding myself learning a completely new game (VF4) with a completely new character (Jacky). I've been playing him for a few weeks, watching vids, finding effective moves and mixups, and I'm the only Jacky player at my arcade, all the rest of the guys play Akira, Lau, Kage, Jeffrey, Pai, and Lion. The only time that I find the shuffle step useful is when you know they're getting up and decide to Rising Kick, this is when I try to land the gut blow into backflip for mega damage. Otherwise don't do the SS, sometimes when they're cornered I use it to taunt and then make them guess. Usually just the fact that I SS'd on them makes them a little uneasy and they end up taking SS into Crouch Dash, interrupt Backflip. This has a lot higher prioriety than any of his other default SS options. In most of my fights I don't think to K, G cancel out of SS, I'm usually taking a big move by then. =) Oh yeah the reason why there was a question mark is because I need help stopping LP whores with Jacky. I tried the Basic Strats and nothing they said helped. The KNEE is interrupted. Can you guys help me. Thanx.

P.S. thanx for the b,f K+G info, I'll definetely have to try this on some scrub meat =) before taking it to a different level.

Where did you guys find the "Green Jacky Vid"?

11. ken

ken Well-Known Member

To counter the low punch game:

shufflestep + d,k,k
    u|d (dodge) + pkg
    f,p,k
    elbow kick
    punt kick f, f, k

block and d,p them back

Jacky has one of the strongest middle attacks in the game. Keep your distance and go for MC when they use low punching game.

12. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Thanx man, I appreciate your reply, I was just sort of hopeing there was an easier way to stop such a stupidly easy tactic as LPing all the time. Your right though I should keep my distance I'm $#%^ing Jacky for christ sake. Peace =)