1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jacky's shuffle step iaigeri?

Discussion in 'Jacky' started by Kageh, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Kageh

Kageh Active Member

shuffle step, K, g-cancel

Can someone break this move down for me?

First off, is that move really mid? It looks high to me.

I know you can cancel the kick before it even comes out, but you can press G to cancel the recovery time if the move connects or is blocked? Is the timing hard?

If you do it and the move is blocked, does Jacky have advantage?

Saw some clip of a jacky player doing iagei and then mixing up beat knuckle and throw. There was an announcer who even said stuff like, "ahhhh, iagerikara nage" (throw from iageri)

2. Tetra

Tetra Well-Known Member

it does hit mid... cos i got hit and staggered when i was crouching.

I tried to throw jacky after i blocked his ss iaigeri and i ate a knee kick. And yes, the timing is hard cos i can't do it lol. Should be easy if u keep practicing i guess. it's a matter of practice like most moves.

3. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

The move hits mid when opponent is near, hits high when opponent is far.

The timing for the iaigeri (?) takes a while to get used to, but it is not as difficult as Akira's knee.

If you do the iageri and the move is blocked, Jacky has advantage. If you do not press G, Jacky is at a -9 frame disavantage.

4. K_C

K_C Well-Known Member

Does the recovery of his iaigeri kick looks like Jacky is sort of wriggling his lower leg a little?..ala Sarah's FL kick fake?

5. Kageh

Kageh Active Member

Anyone have any hard data?

Like within how many frames of the kick connecting you have to press G to get the iaigeri. Or how many frames of advantage it has?

Thanks.

6. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

not really... it looks like the beginning of his usual kick (or the beginning of pai's f,f+K) where he lunges forward and starts to stretch out his leg. Then he snaps it back just when the knee is out and the rest of the leg is starting to move. In VF2 the iai looked like a knee strike, maybe a little like jeff's b+K. In VF4 it looks... well it looks like his stance lunging kick I guess, or like pai's. It doesn't look so much like a knee strike.

Anyway, you'll know it when you get it.
    If it hits and doesn't look any different from the usual lunging kick, your timing was late. If jerky doesn't hit the enemy at all, it was early.

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Just to add to CreeD's description, the tell tale sign of a successful iaigeri is that Jacky snaps his leg back, after the hit, much faster than usual, and hence the recovery time is reduced.

9. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Anybody have any good Iageri Setups? I'd love to hear some. Is the Iageri Essential at High Level play? Why isn't it in the Moves List? =). Any body know the Frame advantage on block and hit. No Estimations please. I'm working on a tight game. thanx.

10. K_C

K_C Well-Known Member

correct me if i'm wrong, the animation for an iaigeri kick is when jacky snaps his leg back, leg slightly wobbling right..
    So his vf2 normal standing iaigeri is gone?

11. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

There is no hard data on when you should press G, or the frame difference. All we know is that Jacky has initiative.

Did a little testing today concerning the timing. IMHO, the best time to press G to cancel the kick is when Jacky says "Yeah!" (or something like that)right before he stretch out his leg.

12. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"Why isn't it in the Moves List?"
    I suppose it's the same reason as to why aren't moves such as modified single palm, double palm aren't in the movelist~

"Is the Iageri Essential at High Level play?"
    This of course is up to the player to decide for himself/herself.
    More importantly, the focus should not be on the iai kick. The focus should be on Shuffle step.

The crucial factor is HOW n WHEN to use the SS to attack the opponent. It's quite pointless to think of a move as a 'only applicable in a low level match'. Distance is also a big factor in deciding the success of the shuffle step...especially when the Jacky user is faking either a iai or a SS attack.

Sometimes..doing the SS step when u're really close to the opponent is great, u can actually thinking of it as using the SS to run away...but with the luxury of being able to immediately counter attack as soon as opponent's attack misses u. Try thinking of if as Akira doing a back CD, avoiding a attack n immediately countering with a double palm.

There're also some merits in doing SS even when opponent is not near u at all.

SS is a very good move in Ver C. Can be used in many different situations.

"""Anybody have any good Iageri Setups?"""

There're plentiful of SS set ups. Again, the focus is on SS, not iai. A easy one would be to inashi either a high or mid level punch, then use the canned follow up punch after the inashi, then do K(g-cancel) CD, SS, CD->pick ur fav move to do. Just make sure u do it really fast enuff to confuse ur opponent. N once again...distance will play a big part in what move u should use to attack after the SS.

Currently, one fav SS setup is using the the beatknuckle to stagger an opponent, follow up with the crescent kick...buffer in either a CD or any of the SS follow up.

Yes...u can use beatknuckle to stagger an opponent ala VF2 style. Very good move!

eeeek..6am...I need to SLEEP!

13. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Thanx Summers for the reply. I was asking why Iageri wasn't in the moves list cause it seemed like a Special Move to me not a Modified one. i.e. Tekkens just frame moves. I guess I was wrong.

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    After some thought, I'll agree that the shuffle iaigeri should be listed in the movelist. I'll update this shortly.

15. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

The timing feels like 15 frames to me. A little longer than VF2 iai.

VF2 iai was removed since three (to the other poster)

16. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

8 frames to be exact
    anything less than 8 ends up with Jacky not being able to cancel the kick at all

Anything more than 15 ends up with Jacky going a G-cancel
    Bow to free training.

So the best thing is to do is press K, then tap G.

Littlewild had the right idea when he mentioned abt listening to Jacky's yell..(another method I brought up at VP a while back ago). Tap G lightly as soon as u hear Jacky yell.

Edit: just updating frame information from ps2 training mode

17. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

"""Anybody have any good Iageri Setups?"""

In regards to SS setups it's also good to mention that iaigeri allows for decent follow ups if your opponent is clueless. I like to do iaigeri, CD D/F+p, f,f+k. Works pretty well to back someone to the wall.

Other than clueless encounters it's quite difficult to use SS effectively. Only certain setups which force your opponent to block accordingly (such as crescent kick) give you an effective guessing game.

18. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

8 frames to be exact
    anything less than 8 ends up with Jacky not being able to cancel the kick at all
    Anything more than 15 ends up with Jacky going a G-cancel

Threre's a range of frames that you can cancel the kick in?
    Very cool~~~ =)

Will update virtuaproject accordingly the next time I pass thru Jacky's movelist.

Virtuaproject has the SS iageri as a seperate move in the VF4b movelist, but kbcat chose to just put one entry and note the iaigeri property in the newer VF4c list. If we get hard advantage frame stats I'd add the extra entry in the VF4c list, but until then, I'll leave it as is. If I get bored enough, I'll probably try to estimate the block stun advantage myself, similar to what Feixaq was doing with Kage when he first got his PS2 and we didn't have translated Kage stats yet.

19. Freud

Freud Well-Known Member

tried to cancel kick when i heard the yell but its seems to be a little late all the time. but i notice that when i hit "G" the moment when the kick is suppose to make contact, the kick retracts fine after the contact.
    Its all really fast, and frequency of getting it is really high once you get a feel of the timing.

Cheers. =)

20. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"""a feel of the timing"""

At the end of the day, that's how I learnt the Iai kick when frame data was still not available.

I assume one mistake that many people make is they held on to the G-button for too long. A light tap is all u need.

and trust me, it becomes soo easy at the end of the day.