1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Japan VS USA

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ice-9, Feb 9, 2001.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I was browsing SRK for a while and came upon this thread: http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/004587.html

Apparently they had organized a group from the U.S., travelled to Japan and had a showdown. They had some internal problems.

However, the idea just seems so damn cool. So...how about it? Is it possible to have a West vs East thing going on? US UK Australia vs Japan? Before VF3 is gone once and for all?

Maybe a week in the summer? It doesn't have to be so formal...but I think it would be so awesome if we could get a Peter vs Chibita, adamYuki vs some famous Akira player kind of thing going.

ice-9<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ice-9 on 2/9/01 11:24 AM.</FONT></P>

2. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Well hell yeah it would be cool but how would such a thing be possible? I mean if it were easy to do it would of happened a long time ago. How would it be decided who would go to represent? I take it participants would have to pay there own way. I mean if you went and just took your friends and did not give people a chance to try out or compete for their spot their would be dicension amongst the V.F ranks and who needs that but all in all i am really behind this idea.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

VFDC Japan Tour 1 (as in '01) :)

LOL! Okay, no offense Ice (it's still a pleasure to hear from you), but I know you've been absent from the forum, but I didn't know you were THIS ABSENT!

Anyways, this topic did come up and around the time of the unofficial Capcom USA vs. Japan event we did talk about this and how it would have been awesome to organize something like this. The event was privately put together, which is the cool part. Some interesting things behind it. Anyways, there's a forum section at SRK called "USA vs. Japan discussion" or something like that, read some of the stuff there to feel what people were feeling around the event. In case you missed out: We did decent on Super Turbo. Our team got creamed on Third Strike (most of that team, except 1 or 2 players likes the game, everyone KNEW this was gonna happen). We got beaten pretty bad at Alpha 3 (this was a surprise to the SRK community, wasn't a surprise to some others). And well... When I heard that a Japanese player proclaim "Cable sucks (as in no skill)," I knew what was gonna happen--Team USA creamed Japan at MvC2 (we gave one match to one of the Japanese Birthday Boys who was participating and well, Choi asked one of the other players to use a weaker than normal team, we ended up losing two--all that stuff's off the record btw).

Anyways, I am curious about the interest in an organized trip to Japan this summer. I'm interested and am now thinking about starting to go back to work and saveup for trips to Poland (the GLC tourney), New York (NYG3), and Japan (what we're talking about now). I'm trying to persuade some of the Aussies and Europeans to go as well. We can make this a "West converges on Japan" trip/images/icons/smile.gif I assume you'll be in Singapore around then, and you always seem to visit Japan (lucky bastard). And I definitely want to meet you, especially since you weren't at NYG2 (understandable of course). Hell, I want to harass Sumeragi to go too! (I think I'll do that tonight on ICQ). Hmm, I've already re-bugged Shota about this too (and he's the one who actually initiated this idea a week ago, or was it this week?).

So what say you? (love that phrase, sounds ridiculous). Do you wanna organize this? (and make it clear you're not paying for anyone hehehe).

-Chanchai

P.S. The USA vs. Japan results: http://www.shoryuken.com/japan/

4. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hell, I know I don't rank up there {still getting that ppp+k combo down :p ) but I'd love to take a trip to Japan if funds allow.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I'm definitely up for it, but I'd like to get as much North American action as I can while I'm still here in Montreal.

First stop: Toronto

I need to m-DbPlm Llanfair so bad it hurts :)

6. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

How long are you in Montreal for? I definitely think we should all get together.

cheers,
    kbcat

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I agree.

I'll be here at least until May, but given that project schedules inevitably slip, I'll probably be here into the Summer.

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: VFDC Japan Tour 1 (as in '01) :)

Yeah, I did read more about it. Some quick points:

1) I wasn't that surprised USA was going to get creamed in 3S. My Urien is pretty competitive here in the U.S., and I've visited L.A. and N.Y. (dunno if I played anyone famous). I got creamed in Tokyo though.

2) It's no secret that most Japanese players don't hold a high opinion of the Versus series. Cable DOES suck--he sucks because he's boring. But he's a top-tier character. In general, I think you'll agree that most Japanese arcade fighting fans like yomi-centric games like VF and 3S. However, I was surprised at how badly the Japanese were creamed at MvC2.

3) As for VF Japan VS USA, I don't have anything near as formal as what SRK had going on. No need for this representation stuff. Whoever wants to go can go. The only difference is that once there it could possibly be more formal than simply a get together...i.e. wins and losses are kept track of and compiled at the end of the day. It'll be a set group of non-Japanese VFers (whoever can make the trip) versus a set group of Japanese VFers, most of whom are hopefully famous.

4) No, I can organize no such thing.

ice-9

9. ghetto-SHUN

ghetto-SHUN Well-Known Member

Interesting!!!
    Very interesting!!!!

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Ice-
    I think part of the reason why Japan got creamed in MvC2 is due to the different in the playing style.

My understanding is the Japanese (well, the way me n my friends play it in general) plays an agressive style...we attack n such.

The US team plays a'trap style'. So boooo haaaa...surprised!

BY THE WAY!!!!
    THIS JAPAN TRIP.....
    I WANT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Ride the Lighting Legacy'

11. ghetto-SHUN

ghetto-SHUN Well-Known Member

Adam, Andy and I have spent many nights discussing what something like this would be like. I have plans to go to Norway this summer but going to japan could also be possible depending on my financial status. Fellow NY-kuns, what do you think of this insane idea??

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, MVC2 is definitely more of a zone-n-trap kind of game than 3S or even Alpha. But you know what? Darkstalkers is also an incredibly zone-n-trap game, but Japanese love that game whereas it's practically non-existant elsewhere outside of Asia. Maybe it's that "freaky characters" thing again.

Nelson, it's not crazy at all and I think very doable. The only problem is timing and administrative issues...who's going to set things up on the Japan end? It would obviously also be a little expensive.

ice-9

13. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Sorry to say my opinion is that we would get CREAMED big time. Like the Strett fighter article pointed out, good competition breeds good players, as undfortunate as it is, we dont have the luxury of playing amazing player or playeras that are a few steps above us in skill. While I do think we are good and we can give them a competative run, I dont hink we would win all that much. This is probably the first time i've said this, but if we played 10 matches i'd be surprised if we won more that two or three. But in terms of just fun factor, it would be a great time. I Just dont think we could give them a great impression. Adam and Nelson are probably the best bets for high wins if they the chance to play for a straight week with the japanese and adapt.

We also have a disadvantage because we primarily play each other...and have gotten used to one anothers play styles.

CrewNYC

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

14. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Ice
    My buddy of 8 yrs...
    his dad owns a hotel...
    Another one's dad is one of the big shots of Daimaru...

Contacts...contacts...

whoopeeee

So anytime you guys decide to greenlight the trip...
    HOLLER!

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Ride the Lighting Legacy'<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by SummErs on 2/9/01 10:47 PM.</FONT></P>

15. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> Sorry to say my opinion is that we would get CREAMED big time.

maybe, maybe not.

even if so, you're not actually suggesting this as a reason not to go, are you?

16. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Too right about Darkstalkers.
    Again, US players opted to 'vote out' on the game cause it's too 'strange'.

Mummies, Dracula,werewolfs
    Morrigan *WOOF*

Actually, I bought Gunbird2 because of Morrigan....and GOD!
    What are incredibly tough and fun game it is!

Suddenly, it has just occured to me...
    Namco VS Sega.
    Hmmm, I think it can be a cool game.

Hmmm, how hot will Sarah be in VF4????/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Ride the Lighting Legacy'

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Creamed? I don't know...think you people should have a bit more faith...of course, I haven't played many of the consistent posters :)

You may not be used to the competition you'd get, but keep in mind that they may not have played anybody with your style either.

And yes, it's definitely a blast, win or lose...the sheer number of competitors was what I loved, not just the few superior-quality players. You can get _wonderful_ practice, very quickly. Not cheaply, of course; those are essentially dollar coins you're plunking in there, remember ;) But then, if you've already splurged for airfare...

18. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

An organized fight would be awesome, however...

What I meant and intended was not to emulate USA vs. Japan (only put US first because they were the challenger).

I meant, an organized Japan tour (well, Tokyo I guess, I don't know the area) consisting of members of VFDC/images/icons/smile.gif and more if they want to come to. We just all save up and try to get a ticket to a certain place at a certain date and hope to have a week of VF and exploration in Japan. Not all too many oc us have been to Japan while some of us have. It would be great as an experience overall.

Yeah, a lot of us would probably get creamed, but it would be fun. I don't think we'd go there to prove anything except our appreciation of VF. However, it would be nice to meet each other.

NYG3, Poland Tournament, VFDC Japan Tour-- What a way to finish VF3 with a bang! Of course, I would still be playing VF3, even if I was playing VF4. I love the game too much.

-Chanchai

19. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

count me out, waaaaaaaaaay to expensive for me, we talking japan! expensive place there. i wish i could go but cant. if you got plenty of cash then good for you, go. I bet if this ever pans out, it'll be 2 or 3 people going.

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

20. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Japan Q&A

So does anyone know if it's still easy enough to find a VF3 machine in Japan or are we gonna end up with DC hotel room showdown 2001? :)