1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jean Q and A

Discussion in 'Jean' started by Izuna_Shoryuken, Jun 9, 2012.

1. CorgiInSpace

CorgiInSpace Member

Jean vs Kage in general. As a Jean Player, what do I have to look out for/what can I do to go toe-to-toe with the ninja?

Thanks!

2. Supreme_Bananas

Supreme_Bananas Active Member

What to do versus prolific sidesteppers/sidewalkers? Jean's circulars are so slow and it's hard to keep track of open/closed foot position semicirculars

3. blossy1000

blossy1000 Well-Known Member

Throws beat evades and full circular attacks beat evades even if they are slow. Maybe you should try throwing more? You can also delay a normal attack to catch their (then) failed evade. You can delay a launcher for big damage, but it's risky too of course if you're not sure they'll evade.

4. Hajin

Hajin Member

4P if they evade to your back, 9K if they evade to your stomach.
    4P,K is guaranteed if you catch an evading opponent. 9K,P will give you good frame advantage.
    Both are i16, and the follow ups are mid that can be charged.

Or if you really don't wanna keep track of your foot position : Delay your attack a little if you know they'll evade.

5. Supreme_Bananas

Thanks. The thing is punishing seems to work so differently in VF compared to Tekken. Sometimes when I think a punish is guaranteed, they still evade/block it.

Example: Goh's 3K,P -10 on block, throw punishable as far as I know. But I recently met a guy who could simply duck under every throw punish attempt I made...

Or Lei-Fei's P+K,P,P is -15 on block, yet he can still sidestep my 6K launcher, even though that's also i15?

6. Hajin

Hajin Member

You must be too slow, try to punish with only P+G to start. Go in practice mode and record 3K,P then immediatly duck. Practice makes perfect. Otherwise I suggest you sabaki the second P with 4P+K+G and give him hell. That's better if he's committing to do the follow up every time. You can also evade the second part and punish.

But try to work on your speed. While Tekken is more a " poke/whiff punish heavy " game. VF is all about super fast decisions making and reflexes. Sometimes other fighting games seems to be running on bullet time haha

7. Supreme_Bananas

Managed to do it in practice, seems you can throw before the animation ends.
    Also, apparently 6K is i17 and not i15

8. Hajin

Hajin Member

Yup, a knee mid launcher i15 would be very broken ;)
    Try to punish the second part of Goh's 3K,P by sabaki or evade&punish. At -10 he can set up his throw sabaki and put you in his nightmare hold with 5 throw break options ...

9. Supreme_Bananas

Something else weird I noticed. I was trying to come up with counter strategies against Jacky's slide shuffle P, so I recorded [P][P][K]4 (Slide Shuffle)[P] and then tried to sabaki it with 4 [+][P][+][K][+][G]. It worked perfectly on the 1P side, but when I switched to 2P side Jacky's punch would always be just out of reach. Some move properties also "changed" as on 1P side I could crush with 6 [P][+][K], but for some reason that never worked on the 2P side

10. seyu

seyu Well-Known Member

PSN:
    volX
    I would guess thats because of a different foot positioning. In closed position the opponent is naturally a bit further away, maybe you wanna look out for that.

Also: what were you crushing with [6][P]+[K]?

11. Supreme_Bananas

I tried both open/closed position on both sides. Still only 2P side that does it. I was crushing Jackies Side Shuffle [P], or more accurately [P][P][K]4[P]

12. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

IDK who is content manager here, but ill go for it anyway. If i were to be playing jean, would it be worth leaving strings unfinished and then throwing in another fast move to beat an opponents attack. For example, if i get CH 33p should i finish it with k or just leave it at 33p then throw in an elbow and regain the +7 or +8 advantage? So in other words, should i be sacrificing guaranteed damage in order to potentially gain more damage?

13. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    No, why should you gamble when you can get guaranteed damage? That's like in poker you would have a good hand, but instead of playing you fold thinking "I can get a better hand than this" only to potentially get a shitty hand instead and lose 20k.

-Nappy- and DK like this.
  14. DK

Ok, another [3][3][P],[K] Charge [P] question. Since this move is only -2 on guard, would it be a bad idea to throw out an elbow or other 12 to 14 frame move after this being guarded in order to catch the opponent trying to do a slower move (17 frame or greater)? Would there be a greater risk than reward, per se, in "abare"ing after this move is guarded?

15. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

It's a bad idea if your opponent is taking your health for the decision and it's a good idea if it works. I have to kinda wonder why your opponent would want to throw out a slow move at that position?

Doing a 2P from -2 is a good thing as long as the opponent is not doing something that interrupts it (or actually, as long as it interrupts whatever your opponent is doing) and you mostly risk getting a CH elbow to the face. There's other risks like getting backdashed or anti-low'd or something. If you don't get predictable with it then it shouldn't happen much.

I'm not sure what 13-14f moves would you want to use there and why? P+K? 46P? 6P?
    You might also want to give a try to fuzzying or backdashing from that -2 position.

DK likes this.
  16. DK

I was thinking elbow, but thanks for the insight. 2p never occurred to me idk why

17. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

It's possible yes, but it allows for the opponent to use their 15f and 16f moves. This is pretty bad against characters with 16f CH launches if they use them.

Doing a 6_P instead of 2P is a good choise here too. You'll float anti-low moves and should be able to catch BD if close enough while not giving the opponent more frames to play with.

Since damage isn't too high on any of the choises I'd probably stick with 2P or 6_P as abare choises for their speed. Of course if your opponent is doing something really slow then 6P will interrupt them but so will 2P and 6_P most probably. Evading or backdashing might yield a launch for you if they use something so slow. Fuzzying might give you your nitaku advantage or possibly even a change to punish them for free.

I'm just theoryfighting this situation here, but I wouldn't rate 6P very high in this situation. But if you make it work then hey, why not?

DK likes this.
  18. -Nappy-

-Nappy- Member

I'm a noob but what I do sometimes is use [1][P][+][K] after [3][3][P],[K] (charge) [P] because [3][3][P],[K] (charge) [P] pushes the opponent back on guard just outside jab/mid range and the [1][P][+][K] has a weird evasive property that moves Jean backwards during its execution and has alot of range.

What I end up doing alot of the times is pushing them back and because theyre at advantage they try to hit me with a jab, elbow or some shit like that but miss because of the distance created by [3][3][P],[K] (charge) [P] and the evasive property of [1][P][+][K]. I use it alot and it works often.

You can do the same with all his moves with "push back properties" (dont know if that what its called lol) such as [6][6][P], [K] (charge) [P], [K][+][G], [6][P][+][K] (works really well after this move) .e.t.c.

DK and Cozby like this.
  19. DK

@-Nappy- Thanks for the input. I'll try it out and see how it works for me.

-Nappy- likes this.
  20. Rez

Rez Member

what am i supposed to do against fast agressive characters cause i cant land a single hit after blocking, are counter and evade my only options?