1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jean thread Derailed

Discussion in 'General' started by GustavoHeisenberg, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    W-Wow...just...wow

2. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Also. Shiny is right. You are in VF territory. Take your ass over to tekkenzaibatsu.com with that shit. Flood they shit with all them complaints about crotch removal options, visual anesthetics and juggle physics.

3. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT

4. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    I bet you get ass raped online huh.

5. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

That customisation is pretty good, VF6 would be awesome with it actually (with proportion constraints). Nevertheless the functional gameplay in UFC or WWE is lacking and not as deep. Whereas the functional gameplay is solid in Virtua Fighter.

I want to play an over the top looking Kungfu action film - there are no juggles yet the physics and action looks very immersive. That can be done whilst retaining the functional balance of Virtua Fighter - it'd be difficult to achieve but it's possible.

However, if they do an in house experiment of the "no-juggles-aesthetics" and it turns without the physics is wonky, looks terrible, and it fails. Then they'd be forced to retain juggles until they get things right in a further future game (like VF7 in 2035).

6. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    I gave you time and you came up with nothing so this thread is being moved. I won't however, lock it, as i'll probably just merge any similar threads into this one.

Edit: Thread renamed, too.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Tricky likes this.
  7. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

Where do I post a thread on how I want to play with paper dolls and getting rid of fireballs in street fighter cause it doesn't feel real enough?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  8. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

thank you

9. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Shoryuken.com/forums

MarlyJay, Tricky, Jason Elbow and 2 others like this.
  10. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
  11. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    One could argue that nobody has the same "oomf" as Akira. But as Shiny mentioned in the very first reply of this thread, that is your opinion, and as you've no doubt found out it's not an opinion that most agree with.

If you spend a bit more time with the game, either playing or watching, you'll find that Jean has some really hard hitting stuff (his signature [6][6][P] strikes fear into the hearts of many, and the [6][K] knee launch is as BOOMtastic as they come), and has craziness in bounds with his mix of chargeable, cancellable and deflecting (sabaki) moves.

So, my advice to you, or any new comer, is to temper your opinion based on your actual experience. Because saying things like "Jean's attacks aren't hard sounding, aren't crazy enough, don't look flashy" (I'm paraphrasing), just reveal that you haven't put enough time in to discover those things. Instead, you might have asked, "What are some of Jean's more hard-hitting attacks, or crazy and flashy combos?" I don't even play Jean, but fewer things are as brutally satisfying than spinning someone from Side Turned to Back Turned and landing a guaranteed [6][6][P] > [6][K] and follow-up combo.

And some advice to the vets around here: uninformed opinions are nothing new. Argue the facts if you feel so implied, and take the opportunity to educate not only the poster, but others who might be reading as well. Or, just ignore the thread altogether?

However, arguing over aesthetics is largely unproductive because there's just no accounting for taste, and sadly that's what this entire thread has become (and much worse).

Spoiler: there is no transition path.

The "Ken Masters" of Virtua Fighter is a misnomer, and has no practical application outside of fan service/fiction. Ryu and Ken were essentially palette swaps with identical movesets that gradually diverged over time. No such thing exists in VF. The only thing you can really carry over between characters is your knowledge of the system, and finding ways (with said character) to be effective within that system.

To this I say that you have not looked hard enough. Maybe a quick google search for VF5FS Jean Combos will have you reconsider:

12. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    *ahem*

:LOL:

Mister and Myke like this.
  13. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

Interesting viewpoint, though I believe you guys will warm up to my "opinions" - I'm extremely passionate about them because I've had them since 2010 around the time VF5FS came out.

I don't blame the group for the vitriol, it should be expected when any radical change in proposed especially since people feel like it takes away from their nostalgic attachments/fear the new ideas will be sh*t.

It's either that or at the very least someone else will love those ideas and create a spiritual series that enhances on the blueprint of Virtua Fighter.

Personally, I'm most interested in deconstructing VF's design, its "functions" - looking at how the sausage is made, I believe I have a lot to learn in addition I want to be able to communicate (or create a design) how that is interesting; it's a tall order but life wouldn't be interesting without difficult problems.

14. Citrus

Citrus Well-Known Member

There are no Ryu or Ken in Virtua Fighter, this is a misconception.
    The only resemblance is visual.

Tricky likes this.
  15. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

You certainly live up to your Tim foil hat profile picture.

Jason Elbow likes this.
  16. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

The problem ur having is ur too busy trying to reinvent the wheel without understanding what makes the wheel great to begin with. Do some VF homework and stop trying to make the game deviant art fan fiction and I'm sure the community will be more willing to "warm up" to ur ideas.

Myke, Tricky and MadeManG74 like this.
  17. Dark Nova Void

Dark Nova Void Well-Known Member

Normally I ignore this stuff but screw it.
    1. Juggles are fine in VF and any other Arcade fighter that chooses to have them. Also VF is more than just juggles, you have fuzzy guard, evade crouch dash, and frames, which is just as important as juggles. You don't know how satisfying it is to block a low through an ECD and launch punish it. Plus juggle require execution at times which gives the player a satisfaction when you successfully do them. VF and many other fighting games are first ARCADE game, you put your money in, pick your character, play to beat the boss and have fun. There was no gender bending stuff till recently and with what you're searching for its not in VF. Your opinion is your opinion but, with what you're asking for would kill what VF is. By reading all the post it seems like you gave NO effort in learning WHAT VF IS instead you're trying to change it to your vision of what you want it to be, which is why you can't appreciate its unique and awesome flavor. Why not learn the game system so you can see the beauty of it because VF imo is abstract art you have to learn it to truly see why its amazing. It is very irritating that people come on here time and time again trying to change VF without learning it first, learn the game and see the good qualities already it has, or play another game.

2. As for Jean not sounding as hard hitting as Akira, that's not his charm/gimmick/or spot in the roster Jean(imo) is suppose to be cool slick back pretty boy who kicks your ass, Akira the hard hitter who trying to get stronger, Brad is the ladies man, and Sarah that white girl who's pretty. Jean hits like a freaking tank and sound like it hurts too, moves like [6][K], [6][6][P] , [6][K][+][G], and many more look and like you doing damage to someone, pay attention to the body of the character after they get hit by certain moves.

ShinyBrentford and Myke like this.
  18. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Lol

19. Mold_Monkey93

Mold_Monkey93 Well-Known Member

AKA every attack is a combo, the game