1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeffrey questions

Discussion in 'Jeffry' started by UnknowingNote, Nov 18, 2012.

1. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Threat P+K gives a stagger on hit and block, but that stagger can be broken, easily in fact, as can all staggers. Good players will do it every time and then kill you for doing a move that's -15 on block, so 6K afterwards is not a very good idea, you should go for a throw mixup instead, but I wouldn't recommend using Threat P+K at all because it's kind of crap. That combo you listed is also not guaranteed to the slightest, on Taka the best you can do from 6K is 46P+K, 66PP for a guaranteed combo, this does 71 on normal hit. Taka is hard to juggle because of his weight, especially for Jeff.

2. UnknowingNote

UnknowingNote Active Member

XBL:
    UnknowingNote
    Yea, I noticed the threat P+K doesn't always work, either, because it takes too long to do. But for the most part, I have the juggling down for most characters, it's what I've been practicing lately. Most of the stuff I have tried, works on everyone, i'll have to run through it again sometime tonight, and see if I can find anything new. If you have any combos for me to try, let me know. I want to try to get as good as I can with Jeffrey. I appreciate all your help, YOMI.

3. YOMI

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    The Jeff 101 thread pretty much has everything covered, you can go pretty far with the stuff in there.

4. UnknowingNote

XBL:
    UnknowingNote
    I found someone who used to main Jeffrey(Thank you, Electro Lex for all the help, by the way) and added them to my friends list and they started to help me out, so i'm learning a few things..I just have to get that wall combo down that took an opponent from full health to less than 20 health in a combo..that shit was ridiculous. I'm still banging stuff out in practice mode, and doing special sparring. So, I feel like i'm getting a little better, but I have a lot to work on still, but I have people helping me out a long the way :)

Electro_Jacky likes this.
  5. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

rq, Jeff can do over 100 with a wall... Aside from CH launchers, with NH launchers, a wall will be needed sadly... Here's just one combo vs Pai:

41236P+K, P, KPP (wall), 43P+K (high bound), any move you want afterwards...

As for using Threat P+K, I tend to use it in a situation where the opponent evades and rings themselves out, or if they don't have a habit of sidestepping... Sometimes, you can catch people if you train them not to sidestep by catching them with moves like 46P, and K+G, but if the opponent is strong, they might pick up on things like that and guess right to evade...

Jeffry has tools, but the thing is you have to constantly mix them up, and plenty of them can only be used if the opponent doesn't have a real answer for it... For instance, using 2P+K~2P+G in a combo to possibly throw them to a wall or ring out might work once or twice, but if the opponent is quick, they'll learn to break it. You have to "test the waters" per sé and see what your opponent does and doesn't do, and what moves/setups they're looking out for. Chances are, they're looking for the 6K, 2K, K+G, and for throws they might be ready for 44P+G near walls/ring edge because that leads to either a combo, or ringout. And depending on how Jeffry-savvy the opponent is, they might be looking out for 4P+G~8_2 because that can ring out as well... At the very least, you can always keep it simple (i.e. - P to 6P hit check, 2P, 4K, throw, etc).

Find moves in your opponent's strings that you can 1P under. Jacky, Pai, and a few other characters have strings that you can block and do a timed 1P for a counter hit, in which case you want to do the second P in that string... If you don't feel dedicated in finishing the string, just 1P should suffice... At that point, they'll more than likely be careful of what strings they're throwing out, and you'll see more P to 6P perhaps...

I can't think of too much off the bat right now... Seems you're heading in the right track... Just try to get familiar with each character and their strengths/weaknesses vs Jeffry's strengths/weaknesses... Combos are cool and all, but try to stay sharp on your wake up game and your situational options that open up pending on your (and the opponent's) position on the ring.

One thing I also suggest is to know what you can do if the "out of nowhere" factor arises... What I mean by that is if your opponent does a move that leaves them in the air and you beat them out with a standing P, know a quick combo that you can use, or turn it into a throw setup perhaps. Or say you threw a move out like P+K,P and you weren't fishing for the counterhit, but you got it; make sure you're sharp enough to hit that P+G to get that extra damage. Random things happen. Expect it, and try to remember to react to them the best way possible.

My apologies if this is mad long. I really wanna help any Jeffry player that I can with any knowledge (thoughts or ideas) I may have.

6. UnknowingNote

XBL:
    UnknowingNote
    Thank you so much for your help. This does help, and YOMI or Jinx, do you have any combos specifics that Jeffrey can do from launchers? I'm trying to find a few high damaging ones, and the only ones i'm coming up with is either the launcher 6k, 33pp, or 41236pk, and than doing the other launchers in a string, to do around 90 dmg. I am reading your guys' responses, don't think I am. I am just trying to get everything out of Jeffry I can. I tried playing with other characters..and I don't like their style, but i'm stuck on Jeffry, wish is a good thing, I guess, haha.

You guys have helped me out a lot, especially with my mix up game. I don't keep doing the same combo, I break my combo when I can, and try to mix it up a lot more, and it's been helping alot.

7. Alstein

Alstein Well-Known Member

I've stuck with Jeff, I'm a pretty meh player, but I get decent results with him. I've tried Vanessa, but she doesn't click like Jeff does for me. And yeah, Jeff so's rare even Vanessa players would rather see Jeffs stick around instead of joining the Vanessa herd.

You do have to think offense first, but you have to know how to do basic defense as well, as Jeff is not a good abare character outside of his delay moves.

The winning 2 losing 3 rounds- VF is a high damage game, and in VF, shit can happen and often does. Just gotta deal with it, happens to everyone- and Jeff is the type of character that can win that way, or lose that way , easier than most.

Jeff isn't popular because he's a low tier character that isn't very attractive. If Jeff was Vanessa he'd be played more.

What's funny is the NC VF scene it feels like everyone plays the big lug, or Aoi.

8. YOMI

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    I guess I'll list my comboes here even though there is the combo thread and there maybe better ones, but I guess people are just too lazy to read it.

6K:
    Lightweights: 6K, 6_P, 214P+K, dash KPK.
    Midweights to mid-heavyweights: 6K, P, 43P+K, KPK.

33P:
    Same as 6K, except I think you can connect the 6K LW combo on midweights as well.

HCFP+K:
    Ditto.

3PP:
    Lightweights: 3PP, P, 46P+K, 4KP_66PP_43PP_2KP.
    Midweights: 3PP, P, 4KP_66PP_43PP_2KP_P6PP.
    Mid-heavyweights: 3PP, 2P, 6PP.

46P:
    Pretty much everyone but I *think* heavyweights and Taka: 46P, 214P+K, HCFP+K, 4PK_66PP_2KP_43PP.

3K+G:
    Same as 46P.

6P+K:
    I guess everyone but Taka: 6P+K, 2KP_6PP.

1K+G:
    Up to Jean I think: 1K+G, dash P+K+G (yes, the slap that goes into Threat stance) Threat PP, 66PP_2KP_43PP.
    *Note: This does not work after Threat 6P: P+G, after that do 1K+G, P, 2KP_6PP_43PP.

Threat PP:
    Lightweights: Threat PP, P, 46P+K, 66PP_2KP_43PP.
    Everyone else, except not sure of Taka: Threat PP, P, 2KP_43PP_66PP.

46P+K:
    Same as Threat PP everyone else.

My wall combo of choice:
    After wall stagger (2K+G_4P+K for a low or mid linear shit mixup, both get it done): 6K, HCFP+K, 46P+K, 6_P (MUST do advancing jab) 214P+K, 4P+K, 66PP_2KP.
    You can connect 9P+G airthrow after 4P+K on lighter characters only from open stance for more damage I belive, and obviously it requires a full wall. Even without it this one does over 130 damage with 2KP ender.

I guess that's everything. These are the comboes I do, I have no idea are they the best, but they do damage, they're simple with no gimmicks and I'm fine with them. I can tell you that they all work from either stance, so that's great I guess. I once again suggest looking up the combo thread for better ones, if they exist. I didn't bother listing damage values because I can't remember them off the top of my head. Keen eyed readers notice I have no comboes against Taka, that's because I don't pick Jeff against him as I don't want to die miserably. I also don't have any specialized comboes against Eileen or the likes because I have a really terrible memory and sometimes even struggle doing these comboes.

Have fun.

9. UnknowingNote

XBL:
    UnknowingNote
    I did read the combo thread..as I stated earlier...I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind adding combos that you do..but thanks for your list, and i'll practice them.

10. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

I think there's a few combos on the thread not listed... I'll see if I have some specific ones that I do that aren't listed and post them accordingly...

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat too much about combos. If you're doing the ones listed you should be fine... Don't worry about the monotony of the combos, as you'll find Jeffry isn't as "colorful" with his combos as some characters are like Kage, Lion, even Lau with his new movelist.. Your goal is to get the match over with as quick as possible, and Jeffry has more ways to do it than just with combos... You gotta understand, you won't always be in a match where you can combo the opponent. You have to read their pattern(s) and see what they do or don't do, and capitalize on it, whether it's "not breaking throws", or "not blocking lows"...

You have to develop "your" particular playstyle. That is the great thing about VF in general. For instance, no matter how many Akira players you'll come across, they'll all have a distinct playstyle that makes their Akira different from the rest. Things like movement to poke patterns and how you create setups are all things that can truly make you stand out from other players. Sure, some people X-copy other people (i.e. - flowchart Jacky players, etc), but things like that make it easier for you to read their patterns and dominate the match.

As for the low tier talk, Jeffry lost alot of good moves from VF5 Vanilla (2K+G, 1K+G, K+G seemed to hit a bit lower imo- as in its easier to whiff now), and losing his old threat stance is what did him in. I personally am hurting from it, because I implemented his threat stance into my movement, allowing me to punish people's whiffed attacks. I could also delay the hell out of his threat K, almost baiting a CH everytime for a followup combo. I consider myself unorthodox as well, as I used 9K+G alot with decent timing vs a low wakeup kick.. Granted, it was risky, but it did pay off, especially when ending the match. Sometimes 9K+G helped me ring out opponents... Jeffry also dropped in tier with the change of the 3 directional throwing system. He straight up lost his Splash Mountain, a throw which he had since VF1!!! Now the only true way to do the throw is by either doing TKoD, or doing a 66P+G near a wall... Anyway, despite the damage boost he got, and a few new moves which allows him to hit grounded characters and such, he got nerfed pretty bad... DON'T let that deter you from becoming strong with Jeffry... Lion was considered low tier in Vanilla VF5 ver.C, but tons of Lion players still placed top with him. Don't give up!!!

VS Taka, don't worry about combos. You have some you can do, but your game vs him is to watch out for his throws (1 leading to a combo), and that damn 4P+K,P, which people will only do the first hit since that is -6 on block I believe. If the opponent does both hits, you should be able to PK punish. To my knowledge, he has quite a few moves you should be looking out for to punish with PK. I personally haven't fought too many Taka's since the Taka bandwagon died off, and I'm sure some moves have better punishes for them, but when I did fight him, I played it safe...

11. Alstein

Alstein Well-Known Member

vs Taka, PPP is a natural combo , so is PKP, but PPP leads to knockdown and Taka has to techroll it immediately so you can react to see what you should do.

12. UnknowingNote

XBL:
    UnknowingNote
    Thanks a lot for the tips and tricks, and help, jinxhand. I did what you said and just did the combos I do, and I still manage to knock out someones health by half. I play the way I want to play, confuse my enemy, and usually win. I was on a pretty good streak tonight against EvenPit, and I actually managed to beat Tricky once, so I was happy :)

EvenPit likes this.