1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeffry 101 (a guide to FS Jeffry)

Discussion in 'Jeffry' started by Sebo, Apr 20, 2012.

1. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that it was hard in Vanilla 5, I'm just saying it seems way too easier this time around in FS. Like I could probably throw extra directional inputs in if I wanted to, and somehow it would still work.

2. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    It isn`t just you. I thought the same since I first played FS Jeffry in 2010. Funny thing, I posted the same thing, got the same `it was always easy` response.

But yes, you`re right, TKoD is sooo much easier.

3. jinxhand

Oh ok... Yeah I guess Sega did that to compensate for the lack of a normal Splash Mountain.

4. jherb5000

jherb5000 Well-Known Member

Sebo... Ive been in free training reading this and trying all this out. I just had to say thank u! My Jeff would be nothing without u! (no homo)

5. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Threat stance is fucking garbage. The fastest move is 18f in threat stance whereas in vanilla Jeff's threat K was 13f. This means that when the initial slap from threat stance is blocked opponent can go for a launcher and it will be faster than any option from threat stance.

Also fuck the threat stance slap, it should have at least been mid. Instead it's a linear high. -_-

6. jinxhand

Yeah you have to really take a gamble when using treat now. I personally liked how the original treat stance allowed me to manipulate the distance between myself and my opponent, testing them to attack and eat a CH threat K. Now it's like the initial hit in threat needs to be a counter hit to truly benefit otherwise ppl will 2p and no options beat it out it seems.

Threat definitely can't be abused now. It's still useful in some ways though.

7. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    The actual threat stance options are excellent IMO, like I said though the problem is getting to those moves. It's BS how the beginning slap is high which means you can be 2p'd. It's also BS how the fastest move is 18f so you can be launched if the slap is blocked. Fuck... Original threat stance ftw like you said jinxy.

8. Mlai

Mlai Well-Known Member

But... threat should be comboed into, for example P+K, P+K+G. So the slap shouldn't be blocked if the first hit wasn't blocked. I guess too fast to hit-confirm.

And yes TKoD is ridiculously lenient in active frames. As long as you're patient enough for Jeff to put his foot down first, and you know how to hadoken, there's just no way to mess it up. Also the grabbing range... I'm reminded of classic SF2 Zangief. I can toe-kick at max range, and Jeff will do the magic-grab into Splash Mountain.

9. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Mlai is correct about the need to combo into threat. But you need to connect with those transition hits, otherwise you can be [2][P]ed out of it.

Unless dojo mode is fucked, I`ve found that having [P]+[K]+[G] being blocked, threat [P] will beat out even Eileen [P] (or was it just [2][P] if done immediately... dunno how this works, can someone test this out with another person (preferably offline)?

But yeah, having to rely on a 21 frame linear, one damage high, is a fucked prospect. On or offline.
    ====

Will maybe get to work on a Jeffry strategy that is more newbie friendly (as L_A suggested).

-----

B=====[​IMG]

10. KingofcarnageVF

KingofcarnageVF Well-Known Member

Someone should test threat stance on side turned opponents. If it works side turned then maybe it should only be used that way

11. Frostycyke

Frostycyke Member

I ran a few test and if P+K is blocked then the P+K+G can be ducked and punished. This works for all transitions into threat.

However, if the P+K+G is blocked or hits, whither as a follow up from a transition, or by itself, then threat PP beats out any possible interrupting P or 2P from Eileen. The opponent must respect the threat mix-up.

For those without a second player, you can still try it out yourself. Have the Training Jeffry record threat transitions and threat options, and then use Eileen yourself to interrupt threat on hit and block.

I still don't understand the frame data, saying my Eileen was +61 after blocking P+K+G and I couldn't interrupt threat PP, that just don't make any sense.

12. Keine

Keine New Member

Jeffry is at -61 if he does not follow up on threat. However if you choose to start the mixup, you cancel a huge part of his recovery animation. So much in fact, that you're at plus frames and that's why most of his options at that point beat out even the fastes moves in the game.

I'm terrible at this game, I've played about 25 games of which I've won one. But I have gotten some 'dojo sense' of how threat works. It's not only the mixup after that's important, it's also very important to keep some variation in how you combo into threat. Try threat a few times in a certain string and change it up to beat out options that _would_ beat out threat. There are only a few moves that combo into threat but a lot more variations in how you get there.

13. biZArre_Logic

biZArre_Logic Active Member

Thank you very much for this thread. I've been wanting to play Jeff for a while and I'm getting burned out on Goh. About to study this in-depth a lot over the next few days.

14. biZArre_Logic

biZArre_Logic Active Member

So when is it best to actually use the Threat Stance since I see so many people saying it isn't safe?

15. Aoiscrub1979

Aoiscrub1979 Member

Threat stance seems to be more about extending combos now more than anything from what is seems. I'm picking up Jeff and dropping Aoi. Guess there is no way I can change this handle I suppose. lol.

16. jinxhand

You gotta force the opponent not to duck, so that the first hit in threat can actually let you apply mixup from it. P+K into threat isn't too great unless it hits, so you're forced to step up your hit checking game.

Yeah sideturn threat seems to be singing the same tune. The only time there's any benefit from it is on actual hit. Best option I see is threat into his PPP. I feel like he has better options though, especially if the opponent is flustered worrying about blocking highs/mids on sideturn, this leaves them open for either getting hit with a low, or forcing them to duck and getting low grabbed, or even better, TKoD.

Threat stance extending combos? In some cases, yes, like hitting 2K+G on specific characters; however, that's not his main source of combo damage, or "extention" rather. 41236P+K after a bound, or 2K+G on a high CH launch (weight specific I believe), 46P+K for that quick low bound, and sometimes a simple P or 2P. I honestly wish that 2P+K could low bound though. Even in wall combos, you're not even gonna be using threat most times.

So, I was tinkering in Dojo, and while I still like 2P+K because of the guaranteed low throw on CH, I was trying to find out if there was anyway to get 2P+K~2P+G to actually work. It doesn't work in combos, specific stuns, nothing.

In an actual match, most opponents don't stay on the ground long enough for the ground grab to work (a 2K at most, but that's it). I'm thinking something wall related might work, but I've tried numerous setups and scenarios, and nothing seems to work.

Is this one of those moves that you simply use if the opponent has a habit of not getting up right away, or is there some actual (read:better) application to this???

17. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Both p+k and down front P into threat is guaranteed on normal hit, however it's impossible to hit-check...

18. jinxhand

You mean to tell me it's impossible to hit check P+K into threat???

19. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure 23P into threat or P is guaranteed on NH. But it's difficult to do hitcheck(or is it impossible?).

P+K is able to do delay P, but no threat. The good thing is P+K is pretty fast(15f), but the drawback is that the following is high, which means opponents can crouch.

20. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    It's impossible to hit-check like I said.

Thing I'm frustrated about is his threat stance slap is high instead of mid which makes it really easy to 2p, fuck me...