1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeffry: Final Showdown

Discussion in 'Jeffry' started by NGKrush, Apr 4, 2012.

1. NGKrush

NGKrush Well-Known Member

PSN:
    de_kroet
    XBL:
    de kroet
    So with FS on it's way, I've been looking to get back into the game. Playing VF for me means, playing Jeff. He comes closest to my perfect playstyle as all his moves must be used to the best effect possible as his risk when guessing wrong is so big.

To my knowledge Jeff has been overhauled quite a big since vanilla. So I wanted to ask from the people that have been following the changes more closely:

-What has changed in Jeffs gameplan?
    -How does the new throw escape system effect him?
    -Does he have all of his old throws still?
    -How is the new threat stance used compared to the simple vanilla version?

He wasn't supergood in vanilla, but could hold his own. I remember him being a beast in R, but where does he stand now?

2. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

I don't know for sure where is him in the tire list, but he isn't the best character to play with now.

The Splash Mountain is gone as stand alone throw, now you need to input the follow up after the toe kick or after KK.

The Treat stance is changed, now has a different animation and does a little bit of damage activating it. That helps doing longer combos.

The low kicks are gone, now he has a new kick that recovers standing.

The throw system doesn't seems to affect him too much. He has 2 strong throw for each direction (back and forward), strong low throws (i guess they are always the same) and good wall throws.

This is more or less the changes i noticed.

3. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Affects him massively. Diagonal direction throws were strong in R as you couldn't Lazy TE them with a standing block. Now they're gone and rather just reassigning the throw direction they've just taken it away. LOL

he does have strongish throws in each direction, but i'd argue his throw game is comparatively massively weaker than Vanilla. From what i've seen he looks to be behind; Taka and Wolf and possibly Aoi, Goh and Blaze in terms of throws.

4. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Jeffry is still very fun and good to play in FS. 2K+G gone is not a good news for him but rest of new stuffs make him look even better than former version.

Taka holds most players who likes heavy characters, and maybe that's the reason we barely see Jeffry's videos on youtube.

5. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Out of all 3 versions I'd say FS Jeffry is the weakest but that's just my opinion. Dennis has experience with Jeffry though and he said that he's really fun to play in FS so I will take his word on it.

6. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Sure he is. No need to change someone you dislike just because of the tier list.

7. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
  8. Shidosha

Shidosha Well-Known Member

PSN:
    I_Am_Shidosha
    XBL:
    Ur Not Shidosha
    Jeffry has some new unique setups after a knockdown or when an opponent is pushed to a wall. I'm really liking his options after threat stance connects... the only problem is that threat stance has to connect... the start up is kinda slow and the attack is a high, and it steps forward now instead of back.

As cool as it is, you aren't scaring anyone with that shit. You can win with this character, but you're REALLY gonna have to smarten up and bring some grade A mix-up/defensive game to the table. if you want that high damage with low risk, pick up Taka.

R.I.P. Ducking Low ;(

9. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
  10. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Threat is good, it just isn't used the same way anymore. It took time to adjust, but new threat isn't that bad at all. Just use [P][6][P]/[​IMG][3][P]/[P]+[K]/[4][P] into it.

Also Jeffry's half-circulars are excellent in the form of [3][K]+[G], [4][6][P], and [K]+[G] to name a few.

Ducking low, while as great as it was, Jeffry is doing okay without it imo. Sure it would be nice to have that, and maybe a better throw game, and maybe a delayable and hit-checkable [3][P][P], but Jeffry is fine. He's not VF5R Jeffry, but still decent.

After I finish Taka I might do that. Maybe a few other characters as well. Dunno yet, this semester is probably gonna be hectic, but I'll do me best in all fronts, whether if it is my studies, swim club, painting and sculpting, VF, etc.

11. Alstein

Alstein Well-Known Member

K+G is only half-circular now?

12. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    No, still full circular. Sebo was just talking about Jeff's circ game in general.

13. NGKrush

PSN:
    de_kroet
    XBL:
    de kroet
    Jeff was always about the striking game for me, I used throws to scare ppl. Happy to hear he's still fun!

I'm really interested in the new threat stance. is his new game based around it a lot or can he function well enough without it?
    After watching hids I agree about it not being best for oki, that's a very limited way of using it.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

14. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    If striking is what you dig then you would have loved R Jeffry! [​IMG]

From what I've seen threat stance isn't used a lot of times and Jeffry is still really deadly so no, it isn't really necessary.

15. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

I've always seen jeffry players do the new TS in combos since the new animation is actually a hit and helps keep going the damage with his options.

16. KingofcarnageVF

KingofcarnageVF Well-Known Member

Cant wait to get my hands on him. Defence and damage. no bs

17. NGKrush

PSN:
    de_kroet
    XBL:
    de kroet
    Been digging into JeffFS, with the stuff I know now I feel I can say that his basic game hasn't been changed (as drastically as I thought). He still focusses on the same b&b as in vanilla, threat is now better as it has more options and movement or defence hasn't changed (even most frames have stayed the same).
    probabaly the only real new thing are the juggles(not even all of them) and the new throwsystem.

I also don't believe the new throw system is so much worse for jeff. previously he had 6 escapes, if you could (e)teg 2 escapes you could escape 1/3rd of this moves, with the new system you can only chose 1 escape, meaning also 1/3rd. dmg is still good and oki after it too.

how i see it:
    +++ opp can now only guess 1 strong throwescape intead of buffering multiple to always get 3,6,and 4 so jeff could not land his strongthrows that much. (buffering multiple (old) > new system)

--- te-ing on reaction is stronger vs jeff now as in the old system it was hard to do multi-te's on reaction, but now 1 escape covers multiple throws. (new system > old system)