1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Joystick Builder updated (finally?)

Discussion in 'Console' started by Catch22, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

Been a few years, I know. Seems like EVERYONE IS MODDING a stick now, man I wish I kept that Namco stick I modded... Seems like I put Sanwa on the map or something?

Anywayz, I'll stop gloating and all. For those who wanna build from scratch, seriously, I wish you guys could feel the difference when playing with a heavier/wider base, here's the latest version of JB:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/res8l8d9/joystick_builder/index.htm

Corny name I know, but the next best things I could thing of was "Joystick Trends" or "Popular Joysticking."

BTW, now that I'm reenergized for VF5 (got no one to play with here on the rock (Hawaii) as the competion is back in AZ, COME ONE, COME ALL WITH ALL YOUR JOYSTICKING QUESTIONS! I don't know all the answers, but remember, I'm willing to break sticks to find out!

2. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

OH SHIT, Catch 22 back in the place, damn, I thought you were among the VF fallen, glad to hear your back. I was wondering a few things actually,
    1) do you know the best way to get a sanwa stick into a new school Shin Virtua Stick? I looked at the inside and it seemed like it would be a bit of work to get it to work and considering it's my only stick, I was hesitant to take a dremel to it.
    2) as far as where to get sanwa sticks, Himura games is the place right now so that's where you wanna go for that (though it's not as good as a "friend" who knows someone or anything).
    3) just welcome back yo

3. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

Can you fit a mini PS2 in a stick? And it just has AV and Power cords coming out of it, and another controller plugs into it?

4. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    SH_ said:

OH SHIT, Catch 22 back in the place, damn, I thought you were among the VF fallen, glad to hear your back. I was wondering a few things actually,
    1) do you know the best way to get a sanwa stick into a new school Shin Virtua Stick? I looked at the inside and it seemed like it would be a bit of work to get it to work and considering it's my only stick, I was hesitant to take a dremel to it.
    2) as far as where to get sanwa sticks, Himura games is the place right now so that's where you wanna go for that (though it's not as good as a "friend" who knows someone or anything).
    3) just welcome back yo

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, VF fallen? Ha! Never ever. Admittedly, I'm a VF fan boy. Most importantly, a Sega fanboy.

SH_, this is going to address your question, but at the same time, add extra comments if some begginner is reading this thread and wanting to mod.

The most important thing to have when modding a stick, or attempting to mod it is GUTS TO TAKE SCREWS OFF. As long as you pay attention to how things are put together, you can always put the screws and parts back together. Be patient and careful. The parts inside a joystick, board and all are archaic, and has almost no chance being damaged unless you are inherently clumsy.

Next, you have to be willing to waste money. Buy those Sanwa parts, and see if they would fit in the stock srcrew holes on your chosen consumer stick. If the screw holes dont line up, drill/modify the Sanwa stick instead of the base. Again, the only way to see if it'll work is to buy those parts and do test fittings.

Thx for the link to the Sanwa seller and the warm welcome.

BTW, I seen this thread about 'squeaky' sticks. It's gonna be either 2 problems. The spring, or the half ball bearing (best term I can think of). Most of the time, a simple repositioning of the spring helps.

But the best thing your can do to maintenance your stick is to clean/lube that ball bearing. Lube it with nylon safe white lithium grease. Dirt/grime gets in between that bearing and the cupped surface it rotates on. If you dont' clean it, the surfaces are going to scratch and get rough, and when bad enough, cause your the joystick to 'stick' (not return to center as smoothly), obviously.

5. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Hey welcome back! Do you still make those 12 pin plugs? I might need to replace my old one.

I was also considering another option. How difficult would it be to re-wire one of your custom sticks with a regular ps2 controller wire instead of that 12 pin plug?

6. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

I don't have a digital camera ATM or I would show you the inside but it has a black top part that is physically attached to the stick. That's the part I'm hesitant about, because that's how it's attached there and that thing isn't screwed in, it's just there.