1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Joystick Builder updated with TONS of info.

Discussion in 'Console' started by Catch22, Mar 6, 2003.

1. hootyhoo79

hootyhoo79 Member

Is the joystick builder website down?

2. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

Yep,
    I've just noticed it.
    My f'n ISP- COX, decided to delete my "ctwentytwo" email and server account on a whim. Bastards. It'll be back up in a week.

Apologies.

3. hootyhoo79

hootyhoo79 Member

shit, if you could, post the button layout on this board, I was about to start drilling the holes, thanks

4. hootyhoo79

hootyhoo79 Member

next person to post the button layout gets naked pictures of my girlfriend

thank you /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Nashi

Nashi Well-Known Member

Hi Catch ma'man. I have a little question. I've bought my Evo Stick a while ago and i've noticed that the stick is not hard enough, i think it's too loosen (well written?..).
    Also, isn't there any way to stop that stupid ball from rotating?! I can't seem to buffer my [3][3] to [6]+[K] with Kage on my TFT combos!! My hand always slips. And i've also noticed that just doing a [3] in the stick, counts as a [2][3][2][3][2][3][3][2] and some lot more at the same time. It's kinda wierd.. How may I repair, i've opened it already, and it looks pretty simple simple compared to your sticks, lol. Not that they are bad, you are the Lord Of The Sticks. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Catch22

JB new address:

http://www.members.cox.net/vtomas5/joystick_builder/index.htm

Myke, finally got around to using a REAL FTP program. Mackerel, I've had it tough!

[​IMG]

Anywayz, here's one I've been working on for myself for quite a while. The stick itself is a heavy duty stick by Sanwa, bought through eBay (Canadian seller who's always selling Sanwa sticks). The huge original ball which was roughly twice the size of the traditional sizes we see in consumer ones, was replaced with a bat shaped one ordered through Sanwa Japan. What's also different is the stick's shaft is thicker, and chrome. This was the stick that had the steel dome shaped bearing that I, and another person mentioned. This stick was actually my first arcade stick that I bought, pre VF4 Sanwa sticks.

I have bought a huge load of arcade parts, and am awaiting the shipment (2 weeks), so if anybody is interested...

Also, looks like I prefer this to my ball stick... seems like the length makes cd'ing backwards from 1P easier for me.

7. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

Wow that really is impressive catch.The man-hours you put into making these things must be long!Come to think of it they look even more professional than the ones you can buy in the shops over here.Keep it up! /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. martialfanatic

martialfanatic Well-Known Member

You ARE a pro man. That stick is by far the best looking stick that I've ever seen. I love it to death, and I'm not even a Sarah fan /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Great job. I'm looking to get some stick building experience in the upcoming weeks (need something to take my mind off of school during freetime, seeing how video games aren't doing that anymore).

But keep up the excellent work.

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I just have to reiterate, you have far outdone yourself with your joystick building Catch22!

You know, if you want front page exposure on this site just let me know. I'd be honoured to show off these puppies to every visitor to the site.

And congrats on the ftp program, all I can say is about time! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. Aoimaster

Aoimaster Well-Known Member

I am so willing to by a stick from u, just let me know when you have the time? /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, catch u r the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. HIGHplanzDrifter

HIGHplanzDrifter Well-Known Member

I would love to buy a stick from you. name your price!

12. SoundWave

SoundWave Well-Known Member

ya seriously if i was ever to get into using a stick i would want it to be with one of those!

13. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

That stick is Serious!!!!!!!

14. Day67

Day67 Member

I'm one of those people who's fortunate enough to have one of catch's sticks and I must say It's the best stick I have ever used. I would recommend catch sticks to anyone. The controls, design, responsiveness is top notch.

catch, your latest stick looks awesome as always /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

15. Catch22

Myke,
    thanks for the offer, but I don't want VFDC not to be the focus.

BTW, thanks Rula for the support. I've updated the gallery section of JB with the 2 new sticks so if you want ideas for your stick...

16. elengineer

elengineer New Member

Button Layouts

Catch22 -

I saw your post in the other thread about how you got your button layouts/templates (3 & 6)

[ QUOTE ]
    ...which I designed the button layout after the Jamma layouts on Sanwa's site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you please answer a couple questions?

1. Does Sanwa have the templates available on their website? If so, could you please provide a link? I was trying to navigate through their site using Babelfish (web language translator) and was having some problems.

2. Did/Do you have actual templates, or did you just look at different pictures and guesstimate the exact dimensions & layout? I can't tell from your quote exactly what you did.

Thanks in advance.

17. Catch22

Re: Button Layouts

Answers:

1)What questions do you have? Altavista does a good job, but I might have answers to your immediate questions.

2)I guestimated... well, actually, I used measurements taken from the VF4 hori stick as well as some pictures from various VF cabinets, the VF4 original brochure, and some Sanwa pictures of Guilty Gear underlays. From looking at the pics, the VF4 hori stick is very close, if not exactly like the arcade setup as far as layout is concerned. How close is the VF4 hori stick layout to the VF4JP cabinet as far as the layout is concerned? You might want to ask some guys from Cali that go to Arcade Infinity, or someone from japan as they have access to the JP cabinets.

18. armad1ll0

armad1ll0 Member

Here's my site. www.modeverything.com

I also build sticks but for emulation and generic use on multiple games and consoles. I guess with all of that work, I don't want to be tied down to just one game.

I've also done other console mods but I really like the joysticks that I've built. On my personal joysticks I've used Sanwa ball tops. You can also get them w/ the bat top.

Arm~

19. FMJaguar

FMJaguar New Member

Hey site is excellent. I particularly liked using a open top with plexi vs a full box. My question is regarding the inside frame, are all of the angled pieces nessecary? it looks like you could get away with the inner frame box, a divider in the middle with the wooden panel for the joystick on the left, and nothing on the right, then extra wood blocks vertically on the 4 corners and maybe one in the middle for support. If it's not clear maybe i can draw a diagram or something.

20. Catch22

I'm still vacationing in Hawaii,
    I'm on a phone line, and it hurts big time.

But going back to the question, yes, you CAN TRY ANYTHING, and if it works, go for it. The bases I build have evolved to the point where I think it's streamlined. Let's just say that the last stick I built uses less framework, and a 3/8" mdf board holding up the plexi.

Again, if you think you can make modifications to my design (I should update the site with my newest design), by all means, MAKE IT, then SHARE IT.