1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Joystick Builder updated with TONS of info.

Discussion in 'Console' started by Catch22, Mar 6, 2003.

1. CRXgoon

CRXgoon Member

Re: question from sweden

Hey guys... I''ve been reading all these pages and pages of threads, and I think I've decided to go ahead and build my own joystick. I have a few questions though, that I don't believe have been addressed so far... I'd like to avoid paying out the butt for all the Sanwa parts if the Happ Controls parts are comparable...

1. Are there any Happ Controls joysticks that have square shaped openings like the Sanwa? Also, how much of a difference does the square vs. circular opening make?

2. Which Happ stick is the best?? From their site, it seems to be a toss up between the Ultimate and the Competition... the only difference I noticed was that the Ultimate has an adjustable shaft length which would seem preferable I would think. Also the Ultimate is on sale right now for $6. I know someone on this board mentioned that the Competition was the best, but what makes it better than the Ultimate??

2. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak

There aren't any happ joysticks that are 8 way with a real square restrictor plate.

The competition is better because it uses a square actuator, making it slightly easier to find the corners.

Yes, square restrictor plates are better for finding corners, i.e. for crouch dashing and such.

As for buttons, the happ competition are good, even better in some ways, although it's a little easier to do akiras knee on sanwa buttons.

Really, from what i can tell, the commercial vf4 sticks are more than adequate. You won't build a stick cheaper than that, especially considering the work. You could build a _better_ stick, though.

3. CRXgoon

CRXgoon Member

thanks for the info KoD! I'm gonna get started on the stick using the happ competition stick and buttons i think. I might even borrow an idea or two from the stick you built. I guess if I'm not happy with the happ stick's circular restrictor plate, i'm only out $10, and I'll switch it out for a sanwa if i can get my grubby hands on one... Why do the japanese have to be better at everything?? !! /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. L33

L33 Well-Known Member

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW... thank you CATCH!

as of now, im busy with my new project

5. CRXgoon

CRXgoon Member

OK i've flip-flopped and now I'm planning on getting the sanwa stick and buttons since they are practically the same price as ordering parts from happ (if you get them from Excellentcom.net). I have a plank of 3/4inch thick poplar that I'm going to be mounting the joystick and buttons on. I don't have a router or any special tools to work with... Will the Sanwa buttons and stick mount properly on 3/4inch thick wood or is that too thick??? Neither home depot or lowes had 1/2 inch thick wood, which is what I had wanted to use for the top. I would use MDF or something thinner, but I was planning on keeping the natural wood finish. Any info/ideas/suggestions would be appreciated!

6. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak

neither the sanwa stick nor buttons will mount properly on 3/4" wood. They're designed to mount on sheet metal. You'd need to rout out an area for the stick to sit nearly flush with the top of the wood, and put holes in a thin lexan overlay for the buttons to clamp onto.

Your best bet if you're using wood and don't have access to a router (you do have a drill, right?) is to get a sanwa stick from ultimarc, and some competition buttons from happ. The ultimarc sanwa stick is just barely long enough to be usable mounted under wood, while the happ buttons are designed to mount on wood.

7. Black_Devil99

Black_Devil99 Member

can you buy joysticks in the us and if you can can you please tell me were because i am still using a contorller

8. Thurrabred

Thurrabred New Member

Hey, I wanna order some Sanwa parts to modify the SC2 and Namco stick I already have. Just wanted to know from those who have already ordered, what colours are the Sanwa sticks available in?

9. Riskbreaker

Riskbreaker New Member

Re: A few joystick construction questions.

Hi all,

I'm quite new to the world of Virtua Fighter 4 Evo, after playing with a pad for a while I decided I wanted to improve my game and that getting used to using a stick would be a good step forwards.

Since reading the various threads on here about joystick building and seeing Catch's website I'm obsessed with the idea of building my own /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm quite happy with the construction of the base and have the right wood and some 11" x 7" plexi to get started on constuction with. But I have a few questions and wondered if you can help.

1. How much does the J-stick on http://www.ultimarc.com/controls.html differ form the Sanwa stick Catch uses in his build tutorial? It looks like it could potentially be alot harder to wire up. Is that the case or should it still be relatively straight forward (its worth noting here that even though I can solder, my electronics knowledge is minimal).

2. Where does everyone get the images for their inlays from? I've been looking for VF images for quite a while (including google - ing). But all of the images are quite generic and a bit dull with standard poses and items. Are there any sites with particularly good renders on them? The Sarah inlay above is fantastic, thats the kind of thing I'm after, some neat images of Sarah and Aoi with various items equipped. Unfortunately I can't capture any images so I'm relying on the net for some bits and pieces to play around with in Photoshop. Even decent fanart would make a great basis for an inlay.

3. Is the PCB for an official PS pad going to differ much from the one Catch used? Is there anything I should be weary of before I smash one of my pads to bits? /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any help would be much appreciated /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks.

10. hootyhoo79

hootyhoo79 Member

Sanwa Sticks

Yeah, put me down for a sanwa stick or two also. I have a happ competition, and it's nice, but it's time to see what all the fuss is about regarding these sanwa sticks. If anybody has any to sell, holla at me.

11. Klandestine

Klandestine Well-Known Member

Re: Sanwa Sticks

I can't access the site.

12. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

I'll try and answer what I can.

1. I have just recently acquired 4 of the J-sticks from Ultimarc. I've played on one of catch's sticks and the biggest difference is that the j-stick is more robust. Catch22 uses the 'VF4' stick from Sanwa which has a switch 'mount' resulting in connector-like wiring. The J-stick has individual microswitches that you need to wire up individually. Also, I'm not sure of the internals of the 'VF4' Sanwa stick, but the J-sticks have a lot of metal components, and I think as a result weigh more. Otherwise, they feel like a japanese stick, straight and simple. They may be a bit stiffer - but that's likely because I haven't had a chance to break any of them in.

Lastly - you can get the J-sticks with a North American bat-style shaft. Personally, I find these more comfortable than the ball. So, imo, it's kind of the best of both worlds.

When I get around to finishing my stick - maybe this weekend (crosses fingers) I'll post some of my impressions. And pics, of course /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. Do a search on VFDC for images. A lot of those you see come from high-res screenies of VF4Evo Wallpaper that are released in the game as you progress through Quest. They've also been doctored heavily in Photoshop or similar software.

3. PCBs for Pads differ from company to company, and even from model to model. I've seen two different types of PCBs for Dual Shocks that are both officially 'Sony'. All can be wired, btw - some just require more tricky soldering than others. My suggestion is for you to go out and pick up a used controller and rip that apart. That way you can spend $10 and not worry about it as much as killing a controller that you already use.

<font color="yellow">.cheers.</font>

13. johnkiddier

johnkiddier Member

I've built a few sticks using the Ultimarc J-Stik and I've been very impressed:
    Here's a couple of pics:
    PS2 Stick

Neo Stick

I find the Sanwa's far more responsive than the Happ competition but I've not tried the bat style handle yet.

14. Yaloss

Yaloss New Member

i can't be the only person disturbed by the recent absence of the site

15. martialfanatic

martialfanatic Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yaloss said:

i can't be the only person disturbed by the recent absence of the site

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. Acheron

Acheron Well-Known Member

Has anyone ordered their parts through ArcadeRick? I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but there was no post about CarbonBody actually receiving the parts.

I tried e-mailing Sanwa and they ignored me. Excellent Com doesn't have the stick and buttons in the color I want.

I e-mailed ArcadeRIck and they said they'd be able to order the parts that I wanted, I sent a follow up message and they never responded. I see on their intro page that they have a message up about being busy and hard to contact. I've sent a few more messages, trying to be obnoxious enough to warrant a response, but so far it hasn't worked.

Anyway, I was wondering if they were worth dealing with, or if anyone had any prior experiences with them. Failing that, anyone know anywhere else where I could get a Sanwa stick/buttons in black and the GT-Y octagonal restrictor plate?

17. eJ___

eJ___ New Member

Hmm the site seems down for me :\ (joystick builder that is).

18. Realyst

Realyst Member

Size

To anyone that got a stick from Catch22, or who can tell from the pictures, how big is one of his stick compared a Namco stick?

19. Catch22

Catch22 Well-Known Member

Re: Size

shit, sorry but the Joystick Builder files are on my Mac in AZ, in a box, in a garage. I'll be getting the computer in a 1 month to 3 month period, so I apoligize. I didn't even know it was down. My bad. I'll probably upload some new stuff that will benefit everyone.

20. token

token New Member

Im pretty sure u cannot get sanwa buttons in black. I dont know why they decided to do this, but on the site they show all the colors they sell their buttons/joystick in and they do not show black buttons. they do have black joysticks tho.

Realyst: im pretty sure catch 22 sticks are jes a tad bit bigger than horis/namcos