1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Joystick problems

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Darrius_Cole, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Darrius_Cole

Darrius_Cole Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Darrius-Cole
    XBL:
    Darrius Cole HD
    I have been using a joystick for about a year now and it is still in my way. I still have problems entering the directions exactly. I do things like enter [3][P] or [1][P] when I am trying to enter [2][P]. Sometimes [6][4][P] will become [6][1][P]. When I try to do the fuzzy guard challenge I notice that instead of [3][3], I end up putting other directions in between the two [3]'s, as in [3][7][6][3]. By the way, it takes me about 10 - 12 frames to get that command in.

I want to know if I am the only one who has the problem, and if so, what do I need to do to fix it. Do I simply suck with joystick and need more practice, is there something inferior about my stick (Tekken 5 edition Hori stick), am I holding it wrong or what.

Something else, I thought that it would be great if I could hold the stick in my right hand. Has anyone ever been able to detect a left handed advantage among players.

2. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I have difficulty with certain Akira combos - specifically those finishing with the m-dblpm. I understand where you're coming from. You controller is probably OK (I have Hori Evo sticks - I think the joysticks used in them are the same). It's OK to have extra inputs for moves from CD, etc as long as they don't execute a different move...

If I want to [2_][4][6][P] from 1p side I do this: [3][3][2][1][4][6][P]

From the 2p side I do this: [3][3][6][4][P].

My 33 CD is faster than my 11 CD, so I try to always use 33.

When I play at home, [4][6][P] comes out fine. When I play FT at AI I often get [4][3][P] instead. I think the stick at AI is rotated just slightly - or it's just me.

Also, I recommend getting combos down in training and then making sure you can do them in a fight (quest mode, etc).

I generally concentrate on one combo at a time. I spend about 15 minutes doing nothing but that combo in both directions. I'm currently working on my [4][6][P]+[G] -> [2]/[8][P]+[K] -> [6][6][6][P] -> [2_][4][6][P] in both directions.

3. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Darrius_Cole said:

I have been using a joystick for about a year now and it is still in my way. I still have problems entering the directions exactly. I do things like enter [3][P] or [1][P] when I am trying to enter [2][P]. Sometimes [6][4][P] will become [6][1][P]. When I try to do the fuzzy guard challenge I notice that instead of [3][3], I end up putting other directions in between the two [3]'s, as in [3][7][6][3]. By the way, it takes me about 10 - 12 frames to get that command in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, it's just a phase. The more you practice with it the better. I remember when I first used my stick, I could not get 46p down right with Ak, it ended up 43p. It just takes time that's all.

Also, one thing I can give you is to not be so stiff with the stick; i.e. don't linger on it, just tap the stick in the direction and don't get in the habit of holding it in the direction as that causes your hand to make a mistake and slip up.

Another thing, get the VF4Evo HORI. I tried the T5 stick and I found it uncomfortable, whereas the Evo stick was perfect.