1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Just got back from Japan...

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by akiralove, Aug 25, 2001.

1. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    What's up everyone...

Just got back about an hour ago from almost a month in Japan; lots of VF4 info to share.

Guess you guys know about the new version... played this week at Kani Spo about every day, including last (Friday) night. Segirl, Chibita etc...

I'll be weeding through the new posts made while I was gone over the next few days.

Did VF4 come out in the us or other parts of asia yet? As the real final version only came out about a week ago, I doubt it, huh?

I can say this: VF Net rocks, the first final version was substantially different than the versions I played here in the US, and the real final is even more developed (I'd say Akira got about 4 new moves), and Shun is STRONG! If you want to know real VF4, you guys should save up and go to Tokyo, it's not that expensive really, and the dollar is strong... you should check it out.

The scene is really intense... can you imagine about 35-40 people watching playing at once in one arcade?

Anyway, let me know what you guys know/want to know about and I'll try to fill you in. Also, I got a Mook put out by arcadia, but now that version "B" is out, it's not complete, and some commands have changed. Otherwise, it has every move, so we can make command lists...

Spotlite

2. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Tell me everything you know about Sarah!!!

Adio.

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Anyway, let me know what you guys know/want to know about and I'll try to fill you in. Also, I got a Mook put out by arcadia, but now that version "B" is out, it's not complete, and some commands have changed. Otherwise, it has every move, so we can make command lists...

erm... <A target="_blank" HREF=http://zametex.pl/glc/vf4_general_faq_(glc).txt>http://zametex.pl/glc/vf4_general_faq_(glc).txt</A>

4. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Sarah sucks. Didn't anyone tell you? ;)

I kid, I kid.

5. LauVF

LauVF Well-Known Member

I have a question ...
    How good is Lau in VF4 if you compare too VF3?
    Is there many people who use Lau in japan?

6. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Don't mess with me Kid.

GLC. You've done a great job with the FAQ. Sarah has so many cool new moves like her off the wall kick and backflip. I can only imagine how they all look. I envy you Spotlite. Could either you or GLC or anyone who knows answer this for me:

Sarah's
    Kick tornado (variant #1) FL,u,b,d,f+P+G Ht
    Kick tornado (variant #2) FL,d,f,u,b+P+G Ht

What do these two moves look like? Are they a single throw/kick or a series of kicks like Jacky's Lightning kicks.

Adio.

7. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

It's a throw consisting of fast series of three kicks to about shoulder level. The variants differ only in direction of motions, which is either u... -> ...b or d... -> ...b

8. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Don't mess with me Kid

Er, what the....

Adio, look up the verb 'kid' (from my post) in a dictionary and you will see that I was fooling.

9. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Big Cheers GLC! Carumba! I need to take a crash course in Japanese and fly my booty to the land of the rising sun quick time!

UK_Kid chill. What? you think Im going to jump down the phone line and spank you? I was joking too. But please leave Sarah Bryant alone. She's a classic character and loads of fun too play.

Adio.

10. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Ok then Adio, cool.
    I gotta sleep now.....it's late here...*yawn*.
    Peace.

11. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Let's see...

GLC, read most of the system elements of your FAQ, but didn't have time to finish yet. Definately a good start, I'd be happy to contribute any info I have once I 've gone through it completely if you want. Sounds like you've got the Arcadia Mook; there's lots of good info there that'd be great to see added to the FAQ, such as the 9 different kinds of struggle-able staggers, double command throw escapes, how to avoid getting low thrown out of a roll, etc. Which version of VF4 have you been playing where you are?

Adio, well I don't know too much about Sarah ;)! One of the moves most Sarah players are using a lot is d/f+P,K, "Set Up Combination" which is a chop followed by a kind of spin kick. It's quick, has good priority and even hits OTB if I can remember correctly. It also goes into the Flamingo, and can be done during the Flamingo.

Her new throw you asked about has a really long animation. If you've seen Hwaorang's side throw where he holds your hand and kicks you over and over, it's like that; but Sarah kicks you like 10 times...

Basically, people are using the classic elbow... knee or throw flowchart, mixed with flamingo games. The flamingo can be a real nightmare, she has a lot of options from it. One player used the low kick to hit throw combo against me after I rolled, felt helpless! Her Fallen Angel Throw (f,d/b+P+G) is cool and does good damage.

At the moment, people seem to be sticking to basics as they try to figure out how to best employ her new abilities; this is true for many characters like Jacky, Lau, Jeffry, Kage etc. People have to learn new concepts to understand the full potential of these characters (how to use the stances, new moves, what old stuff no longer works...), so we have yet to see the true face of these chars. IMO.

Lau, people are playing Lau in a really straightforward, unflashy manner at the moment, and in Tokyo, he is one of the more popular characters. His main move at the moment is f+P,P and people usually follow that with another f+P,P, throw, P, or rarely f,d+K. I was actually suprised that people aren't abusing f,d+K more right now. I didn't see people trying riskier stuff such as following f+P,P with a throw, then following it next time with a b,b+P as the oppt. goes for a throw escape. Most Lau's are using b,b+P after a quick back dash, such as to avoid a rising attack.

The common follow up to b,d+P+G is b,f+P, P, b+P, f+P (palm, P, turning knife hand, turning dbl. palm), although I think the P misses. I once saw this combo push the oppt. into the wall, where it seemed like Lau could then keep hitting, but didn't.

Overall, I'd say as a character, Lau was more "adjusted", than improved, weakened or substantially changed from vf3 to vf4. But time will tell.

I'll post a full report on what I experienced in Japan in the next few days.

Spotlite

12. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Thanks for the VF4 report on Sarah and especially Lau. It's nice to hear an account about how Lau is played in VF4.
    *sigh*Maybe I should move to Japan..../versus/images/icons/frown.gif

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

13. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Cheers Spotlite. It's good to hear that there are others in the world who use and respect Sarah. Even in the Test version in the UK I wrought havoc on some poor guys with the flamingo mainly Akira, but I here he's been seriously empowered...great.

All the moves you mentioned weren't in the test except the low kick from flamingo, but her kick combos, dodging kicks and P+G throw were there and put to good use. The added fact that she also can do a Kickflip and moonsult from the stance in ver.a/b combined with her ability to move forward or backflip back has given me new faith in AM2.

For far too long Sarah has been in the shadow of Jacky and considered a scrubs best friend. But, those who have the talent and the dedication can truly stand toe to toe with the Akira and Wolf masters etc. I'm a happy camper.

I agree about Lau. The people I played were talented but ruthless. Doing low punches to the elbow palm all the time untill you were in a corner. It was only a matter of time before you were caught with a uppetcut then a PPPK. And in VF4, that means game over.

Adio.

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

God, Sarah is sooo much harder to play at a high level than Jacky in VF3!!

It's really a shame that not more of the advanced VFers here in the West play Sarah...she is infinitely more interesting than Jacky and just as powerful in the right hands.

It's nice to hear she's finally getting the attention she deserves in 4.

15. RedQueen

RedQueen Well-Known Member

and Sarah is much more easier on the eyes than Jacky ;D

~ Shori no Eko Kimi ni ~

16. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Dear FUK

stick to lau fool!/versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=red>~~~ 'back off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

17. RedQueen

RedQueen Well-Known Member

kan!!! get away u stalker!!!!! >.<'

~ Shori no Eko Kimi ni ~

18. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

good..
    u can sleep in the living room over the next four days
    I get the room to myself /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif~

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

19. retsam

retsam Member

Whats the best arcade to play in Tokyo? I've been to Sega in Akihabara (sp) and I think a fairly large arcade in Roppongi and some arcades near the yotsuya sanchome station but thats about it. The one in Roppongi was about the same size as the one in Akihabara. Got my ass spanked in both places... ;).

Thanks,

Ret