1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Just some advice against Lau.

Discussion in 'Lau' started by Maximus, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

I'm kind of in a sinch. /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have been having some troubles against lau. If there are any Akira players out there (and I mean real Akira players, not noobs) who know how to deal with Lau, I just need some good tactics against Lau because he's really pissing me off and frustrating me. I'm not a noob, not at all, it's just that I can handle all others except Lau. It's his damn speed and his punches, they confuse me so that I don't know which is a guaranteed attack. So, if any of you are feeling generous, just give me some tactics on how to handle Lau. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. OffBrandNinja

OffBrandNinja Well-Known Member

Lau's [P][P][P] strings are pretty high risk/low reward, because the only real mix up after it is the mid cartwheel or the low sweep. However, it is aggravating to have them whored on you. If you find yourself getting punch rushed, contemplate abusing some reversals until your opponent gets the idea. Or, you can use [3][P]+[K], which will duck under highs for a solid counter hit. One other thing: if your Lau opponent likes to delay after the third punch before doing the cartwheel or sweep, you've got a guaranteed throw. So, if you see a delay after them punches, nail him for it.

Hopefully this helps, if not, there are plenty of other folks on here that know plenty more than I.

3. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

essentially you should always be guarding low against his [P][P][P] string, if he goes for [2][K], i follow up with [3][K], [4][6][P], [6][6][K][K] or [2][K]+[G][6][K][4][6][P]. if for some reason your opponent goes for just [P][P][P][K] then [2_][6][P]+[K], dlc or double kick.

Also, once in a while try to hit with akira's [4][P]+[K]+[G] [6][P] [6][6][K][K] combo.

Another thing, (probably only applies to my competition though). After lau's [4][4][P], they're likely to follow up with the [P][P][P] sequence, which always begins with midpunch!

Alright, all the advice i can offer..

4. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    How can you punish the low sweep with a standing palm? It'd just whiff. Also why are you trying to punish with ABC and DLC? They're never guaranteed ever, only to be used in combos really. You shouldn't give advice when you probably don't know what you're on about.

After he does [P][P][P] or [3][P][P][P] you should usually crouch guard and then;

[P][P][P][K] (whiff) = free shoulder ram combo
    [P][P][P][2][K] (guarded) = free shoulder ram combo
    [P][P][P][4][K] (normal hit) = +13 for Akira so free Dblplm?

Following on from what was said earlier about if he tries to delay the last hit, after the third punch he is at -10 so technically you get a guaranteed throw if he stops the series here. But if he doesn't then you're getting nailed so a better option would probably be SDE here as it'll give you a good combo if he delays it (enough) and you'll still be safe (-6) if he stops and guards. Obviously if he doesn't delay it enough/at all then you'll get nailed but thats just resetting the guessing game.

Oh and from what I've noticed during fights, if you evade certain parts of the punch string then you end up behind him which is nice. Don't know the specific details for that.

If you're having trouble with knowing what moves you can counter against him then this page might help
    http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4evo_counter_tables.php

If you go on training mode you can do all his counterable moves to familiarise yourself with what they look like and use that link to try and remember what you can counter with.

5. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

are you retarded or just blind?

After lau does [P][P][P][2][K], you do [3][K] (which will make them stagger + stand up), then you get a free standing palm, and then you can add in abc.

Or, if they do

[P][P][P][K], then you shoulder ram, then dlc or double kick.

6. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

nothign is guranteed after sidekick stagger. listen to elite.

7. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    The way you wrote it made it look like you were posting seperate options for punishing. Just a misunderstanding then.

Is the standing palm really guaranteed after the sidekick stagger? Can't they just struggle it?

8. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

yeah, my post sort of sounded odd and looked like lau was doing the [2_][6][P]+[K], and you're probably right about it not being guaranteed, and ill have to check to see if it's guaranteed.. one sec.

9. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Well if you're not sure then I'm guessing it isn't since the full standing palm combo after the mC sidekick would get you around 80 points of damage which seems a bit too high. Couple that with the fact that it would probably mean on any sidekick stagger Akira would get this free damage (which is just ridiculous) and I just can't see it happening. Shoulder ram is probably still the best option after blocked low sweep.

10. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

Yoho, spod, whatever is garanteed as Lau's -25 (which would be better options).

/KiwE

11. rude_boy

rude_boy Member

Akira is one of the best against Lau

12. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

sorry after i made this post i went into training mode, and then my brother came home and we played for an hour :p.

And yes, it can be struggled out of, he just never does :p.

13. Maximus

Thanks. But what about his elbows. is there a way to predict them. every time i try to do a crouching dash move i get denied by his elbow. any advice on that????? /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    AKIRA_PH said:
    is there a way to predict them

[/ QUOTE ]

15. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Predicting moves isn't really character based it's more player based. If you're playing the same opponent over and over then just try and figure out when he/she likes to do an elbow. You should pretty much be doing that all the time against any opponent for every move though so it's nothing special that I'm telling you.

All elbows will beat crouch dash, it's not Lau specific. Just deal with it the same way you would against any other character.

16. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[

Against Lau or Pai, when you block...

PPP4K: go for Yoho or standing Palm.
    PPP2K: go for Yoho

When you get hit by PPP4K, you get +13

Double palm is out of options in a real match even though it seems possible on the paper as it has to be perfectly perfectly buffered. P,K is not guranteed due to the distance factor.

However , if you are Lau and get his by PPP4K, your 46P is guaranteed and it's pretty practical. So, go for it.

When you get hit by PPP, you get +8. That means,
    Lau's throw counterable if he stops. So, if Lau tries some cute delay tactics after PPP, you can cut it with fast attacks like SDE or if you are really good, you can throw him.

When you play against Pai, after Pai's PPP hit,

Stay standing until you see the low sweep coming.

If you just duck to block the low sweep, you will see yourself getting low thrown a lot. Stay standing and watch carefully to see the low sweep. You have time to watch it and block it as it's not that fast. That way you can deal with low throw-sweep nitaku situation.

[ QUOTE ]
    AKIRA_PH said:
    is there a way to predict them

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Yomi's there to use for this.

17. Maximus

Thank you very much. This advice should prove to be very useful. I'll put it to good use. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

pppb+k hit, Akira can hold FORWARD and connect P,K.

19. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Shang said:

pppb+k hit, Akira can hold FORWARD and connect P,K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I didn't know that. So the best thing to do would be crouch block after PPP to block a low sweep while getting ready to hold forward in case he does PPP4K to connect with P,K.

I think that you'd have to expect and get yourself ready to connect wtih hold forward P,K in this situation as if not you will react slow and P,K wouldn't hit. Sort of like doing hold forward P,K after Jacky's LFF P,K stagger.