1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Justifying Online VF ( Ver.C Tier List Side Topic)

Discussion in 'General' started by SDS_Overfiend1, May 27, 2008.

1. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

Re: Justifying Online VF ( Ver.C Tier List Side To

You're right, and I was oversimplifying again. I actually wasn't referring to there being a timestamp in the header, though. As you said, it's just not necessary, and often not even useful. However, they do need to include timestamps alongside the actual data being transmitted to the game. I mean... how could they not?, in any game? The simplest example is probably WoW... spell recast timers are all very precisely being calculated by the server, and then sent to the client. But it's easy to assume that FPSes and such need the same type of precision. I can't say for sure that fighting games use them, but there has to be some way of syncing up timing, and timestamps are the standard solution.

I'm going to stand by my assertion that it's possible. Of course it's a very difficult timing problem to solve, but we do have some leeway. The fact that human perception can't see results within a single frame, means the game does have some amount of time to figure things out. Programmers have shown the ability to solve extremely difficult timing problems in the past, but no, I have no idea precisely how or when they'll resolve this.

This is kinda getting scarily like all the new version discussions, though. A year ago, I'm sure we all would have said VF online was completely impossible. Is it so hard to believe that there might be further improvements that noone's though of yet?

2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Re: Justifying Online VF ( Ver.C Tier List Side To

I have faith in human ingenuity. If there's money to be made doing it you can be someone's trying to figure out how to.