1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Kage Basics

Discussion in 'Kage' started by ice-9, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Dash_Lewis

Dash_Lewis Member

yes i agree. it seems to me that he can pull off the
    FC,df+P, P, d+P+K,K easily. I hardly get the P to connect after the chop.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Hold foward before you press P to give you that little more distance required to connect the Punch. After that, it's easy.

I'm pretty sure all of this is in uk-guy's Kage documents under the VF4 > Kage section. To all aspiring Kage users I highly recommend you digest the material there.

3. Dash_Lewis

Dash_Lewis Member

i see, K thanks a lot!

4. nxw0016

nxw0016 Well-Known Member

My experiment:

FC,df+P,(hold f)P,dP+KK connects in close stance agaisnt characters other then Akira and heavy weights. The FC df+P has to hit from a near to mid range. In open stance, it's possible even the first P will whiff.

Against Akira: if I am not mistaken, Akira is the opposit: the above combo connects against Akira in open stance but not close stance. When in close stance against Akira, follow with PPK after FC df+P. (Open stance you can attempt PPK as well, but the last K will whiff).

Against Wolf and Jeffery: FC, df+P (hold f) PPK connects regardless stance. Actually it becomes the easiest against these two -- a no brainer combo.

Note: while you attempt to pull out the FC df+P dP+KK combo, make sure your stance is right. Or you are going to whiff and end up back exposed and in recovery time while your opponent completes TR/QR. One technique to use when you lost track of stance is to input P and dP+K first after FC df+P floats opponent, and the moment you see dP+K is going to connect, press K. if you see dP+K whiff, then don't do anything. Need some concentration though.

I was amazed when I saw Chibita use this combo so effectively. I am putting it into my repertoire.

5. DLC

DLC Member

Re: [VFDC CHOICE] Kage Basics

Quick question about the Floating Mist Throw (b,d P+G) and its RO capabilities. I haven't been able to get an RO in my favor with it yet. In 3 kumite matches (lost a sphere because of it /versus/images/icons/frown.gif), Kage has stayed in the ring, the other player is out of the ring and they get the win! Granted that this was near the edge of the ring and not fully outside, but I think Kage's leg touches ground first before he bounces back in... not sure. Gotta start using that throw a bit closer to the edge I guess /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

The characteristic is probably different if the throw goes fully out of the ring but just wondering if anybody else has seen this (was stated in the FAQ that ring edge is bad, but worded more for Kage jumping back and out of the ring after the throw I think). I've yet to try it in training, but do you get notified on who gets rung out?

thx
    DLC

6. Bare_Knuckles

Bare_Knuckles New Member

i have a problem with executing the knee during TFT, instead i use b+k+g which isn as good as the knee, can anyone give me tips on how to pull it of, i know the input but i want to know an easier way like sliding your thumb or something. please help

7. Bare_Knuckles

Bare_Knuckles New Member

i just found out some mad technique with kage, after the TFT wait a bit until the oponent almost hits the ground, then preform f+d+k+g, if you done it just right 60% of the life will be gone, trust me it really does work, you have to time it well though, the damage will depend on the timing.

8. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

I can't do TFT-knee either, so I just stick to TFT-d+P+K combos. You sacrifice 10-20 points of damage, but still get the nice RO/wall potential.

9. Kali

Kali Well-Known Member

TFT-df+K+G - damage = 0, if opponent do TR/QR... If you cannot do TFT-Knee try also d+K+G,.... or b,b+P,... juggles.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Hold foward before you press P to give you that little more distance required to connect the Punch. After that, it's easy.

<hr></blockquote>

FC,df+P, P, d+P+K,K connect only if Downward Chop was MC (without MC opponent can TR/QR). Try also:

MC Downward Chop, P, DP
    MC Downward Chop, P, Downward Chop (with buffered Crouch Dash) - less damaging, but second Downward Chop slams on float, so opponent cannot TR/QR and you can go for okizeme.

10. Kali

Kali Well-Known Member

And one more thing - f,b+K - it's really hard to struggle out, so f,b+K,K is almost guaranteed. Try also f,b+K - guard stagger - df+P-juggle or d+P+K, d+P+K,K (d+P+K is faster than df+P).

11. Bare_Knuckles

Bare_Knuckles New Member

after a 2 hour sesion in the practice arena, i can now do the knee, my main combo now is b+g+p, knee, p,d+p+k, dragon punch. the f,b+k is very slow to execute, against a human opponent it is almost useless, i found out a move with kage which will hit 90% of the time against computer opponents on ps2, the move is u+f+k+g, u+b+k+g, when fighting dan ranked opponents, doesn't always work on Akira, Aoi, and Pai though, even if the first move is blocked the opponent will try to attack you, then do the next move, i got exellent lots of times using this, i am not a scrub or anything. its just that when i can't be bother i just do this

12. DarkMaster

DarkMaster Member

Yeah i'm a sort of Kage fighter who knows most moves like flips and throws and stuff like that, but i just can't seem to throw of some of his moves...

Could you help me out. (I'm an 8th dan)

13. Goro

Goro Well-Known Member

Against less experienced players i find its very easy to set up for Kages mid kick reversal combo. Any of his throws set the opponent up in the correct position for it (back down, head close to you), although for the TFTnot in all cases, I either use the added [8]+[P]+[G] or i usualy do knee, [4]+[P](hold to enter Jum stance), p,k,k. For his other throws just enter and hold [4]+[P] while their on the ground then press [P]+[K]+[G] to reverse their mid attack, then i dash in and do [P]+[K] (hold to exit stance), [3][K]+[G] for a total of 100 pts of damage. I was wondering what other moves he has that can set up the opponent landing in this direction, i know [6]+[6]+[K] does but only if they dont techroll. Also [4]+[P] is faster then [6]+[K], right? And one more thing, is it really possible to tell if they will do a mid or low rising attack, that way you could enter [K]+[G] if they did a low, I find its incredibly hard to even block either mid or low, i usualy just use an educated guess.

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Given the current talk on the [2_][3][P], and the change it underwent in Evolution, I thought I'd share some [2_][3][P] Version C combos, courtesty of my friend Atsushi, and most not currently found in uk-guy's guide.

Counter Hit
    [2_][3][P] - [6_][P] - [2][P]+[K][K] (closed stance, up to mid-weight)
    [2_][3][P] - [6_][P] - [6][2][3][P] (open stance, up to mid-weight)

Normal Hit
    [2_][3][P] - [6_][P] - [6_][P] - [2][P]+[K][K] (closed stance, Vanessa, Kage and Lau)
    [2_][3][P] - [6_][P] - [4][P][K] (open stance, Vanessa and Lion)
    [2_][3][P] - [4][4][P] - [P][K][G] - [2][P]+[K][K] (open stance, up to mid-weight)

The [2_][3][P] are dependent on distance and thus can sometimes fail.

Here's a crazy combo which only works on Lion:

[3][P] - [1][P] - [6][2][3][P][K] (open stance, normal hit)

and a maniac combo which only works on Jeffry:

[6][K]+[G] - [6_][P] - [3][3][6][K] (closed stance, normal hit)

15. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

On Lion Open Stance:

[2_][3]+[P] - [4]+[P] - [P][P][K]

On Shun Open Stance:

[2_][3]+[P] - [4]+[P] - [P] - [2]+[P]+[K][K]

MC Wolf

[2_][3]+[P] - [P] - [P] - [6][2][3]+[P]

16. I noticed that some combos recquired to do[1].[P]+[K]+[G]ut move is that whenever i try it just does the back cartwheel thingie help!

17. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

it's actually [1]+[P], [K], [G]. You do d/b+P which is kage's little swipe punch, then press kick... finally, you tap guard and make kage cancel the kick before it fully comes out. An easier version of this is P,K,G.

The timing on db+P,K,G is hard but on P,K,G it's pretty easy. But for these combos, you want db+P,K,G because it does a little more damage.
    It also moves you forward a little bit more than just P,K,G would have, and that makes the last hit more likely to work.

18. gamesmaster1_2be

gamesmaster1_2be Well-Known Member

wow! this thread is great!
    very useful for a kage newb.

19. Tek_9

Tek_9 Member

hmm is there anything that could be added to this... ive tried lots and i cant get close enough to hit after the other guy floats away.

[6][K]+[G], [4][P][K] ( wait a half-a-sec to do [4][P][K] )

i tried doing the [3][K]+[G] because that "lunges" forward than does the crescent, but not even that works.

when i get the [4][P][K] and the kick hits the wall i can get either [3][K]+[G] or [7][K]+[G] i forgot which did more dmg i think its the 1st one... the large crescent kick doesnt get its full hit since after hitting the wall hes so close to the ground.

i found another wall hit jumonji stance thing too...

when you do the mid kick crumple [K]+[G] you do [6][K] then another [K]+[G] and finish with a [2][K] for the sweep. i think im missing something however cause i dont think all that adds to 80-85 dmg... and i know the dmg was around there. ehh il try now and get back.
    /versus/images/icons/smirk.gif

^Bai-Bai Tek 9

20. Tek_9

Tek_9 Member

alright some minor mistakes to what i said >_<
    its:
    [6][K]+[G], [2][P], [4][P]+[K]... i cant add anything else to it though.

I tried it with the [9][K]+[G] instead of the [6][K]+[G] and with the forward crescent you can finish off with [3][K]+[G], this is get to 73 dmg.

hmm i am having problems getting that jumonji stance attack again. I forgot what i did /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

anyways there is also something i found (well maybe old news) but when you do [6][K]+[G], [3][K]+[G] you can buffer [9][K]+[G] and because after the first crescent your backwards, you will do the large crescent backwards.. and that will hit as well. only 65 dmg however :cry: